By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - World of WarCraft has slowed Blizzard's release of games

pre-WoW, Blizzard only had around 3 teams:
- One dealing with Warcraft 3 (which went on to develop SC2)
- One with World of Warcraft
- Blizzard North (which dealt with Diablo), and didn't release anything.

So Blizzard really only had 2 working teams just before WoW's release. It was after World of Warcraft came out that Blizzard upped the number of teams, which currently stands at 4:
- Team with World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, and WoW stuff
- Team with Starcraft 2
- Team with Diablo 3
- Team with unannounced MMO

If anything, WoW brought more development into Blizzard, not less. Now, the expect schedule of future Blizzard releases should be like:
2008 - World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
2009 - Starcraft II
2010 - Diablo III , Starcrat II Expansion , WoW Expansion
2011 - Unannounced MMO , Diablo III Expansion

Doesn't seem bad, right?

Around the Network

In a funny turn of events, the two studios founded by most of the people that left Blizzard North mid-development of Diablo 3 layed of most of their staffs this year.
The same year Blizzard finally showed Diablo 3 to the public for the first time.

I guess those guys weren't as key or good as they thought back then :P

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

shio said:
pre-WoW, Blizzard only had around 3 teams:
- One dealing with Warcraft 3 (which went on to develop SC2)
- One with World of Warcraft
- Blizzard North (which dealt with Diablo), and didn't release anything.

So Blizzard really only had 2 working teams just before WoW's release. It was after World of Warcraft came out that Blizzard upped the number of teams, which currently stands at 4:
- Team with World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, and WoW stuff
- Team with Starcraft 2
- Team with Diablo 3
- Team with unannounced MMO

If anything, WoW brought more development into Blizzard, not less. Now, the expect schedule of future Blizzard releases should be like:
2008 - World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
2009 - Starcraft II
2010 - Diablo III , Starcrat II Expansion , WoW Expansion
2011 - Unannounced MMO , Diablo III Expansion

Doesn't seem bad, right?

True, as I had said in my original post at least I think I said we are going to be having a lot of games coming out from them soon but this is the first time there has ever really been a large gap in the release of games.

PC Gamer

It could be partly because it takes much longer to develop games now-a-days... at least a game like Diablo 3 I'd imagine it would take much longer. Diablo 3 was announced almost if not more than 3 years ago.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

dib8rman said:
It could be partly because it takes much longer to develop games now-a-days... at least a game like Diablo 3 I'd imagine it would take much longer. Diablo 3 was announced almost if not more than 3 years ago.

That, and that Blizzard loves to cancel games. They cancelled 2 announced games (Starcraft Ghost and that Warcraft adventure game), they also cancelled the Diablo 3 that Blizzard North was making (and then disbanded Blizzard North), and who knows what else they cancelled.

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:

The decline in popularity of PC gaming has not helped in regards to games coming to the PC, increased time and developments costs for games and the best developers are moving to work on console games because it is more profitable than PC gaming. Console gaming market is mainstream whereas PC gaming is for hardcore gamers.

Is this a joke?  I'm pretty sure all of Blizzard's games have sold more than any of the Halo games have and on PC you don't need to buy a stupid license for the console and it's easier to develop for PC.  This is a large reason why Blizzard has remained PC only.

PC Gamer
shio said:
dib8rman said:

That, and that Blizzard loves to cancel games. They cancelled 2 announced games (Starcraft Ghost and that Warcraft adventure game), they also cancelled the Diablo 3 that Blizzard North was making (and then disbanded Blizzard North), and who knows what else they cancelled.

That's not exactly correct.

Blizzard had issues with the version of Diablo 3 being developped and the people at Blizzard North disagreed so strongly they left the company to form 2 others companies ( that are now dead or dying..).

Once over 30 developers had left, Blizzard didn't have much choice but close the studio and scratch the work already done on Diablo 3....

It's hard to say what were the real issues without having been involved but retroactively you can probably say the people at Blizzard North should have been a little more humble and have listened to Blizzard ( leaving the company with the best track record for game quality to go develop a buggy PoS like Hellgate London isn't exactly what I could call a good choice)...

yup. Good call.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Ail said:
shio said:
dib8rman said:

Blizzard had issues with the version of Diablo 3 being developped and the people at Blizzard North disagreed so strongly they left the company to form 2 others companies (that are now dead or dying..).

Once over 30 developers had left, Blizzard didn't have much choice but close the studio and scratch the work already done on Diablo 3....

It's hard to say what were the real issues without having been involved but retroactively you can probably say the people at Blizzard North should have been a little more humble and have listened to Blizzard ( leaving the company with the best track record for game quality to go develop a buggy PoS like Hellgate London isn't exactly what I could call a good choice)...

Arena Net is no where close to dead or dieing.

cwbys21 said:
Ail said:
shio said:
dib8rman said:

Blizzard had issues with the version of Diablo 3 being developped and the people at Blizzard North disagreed so strongly they left the company to form 2 others companies (that are now dead or dying..).

Arena Net is no where close to dead or dieing.

I was speaking of Flagship Studios and Castaway Entertainment which is where most of the key Blizzard North employees went.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_North  for reference.

Not sure what the connection between Arena net and Blizzard North is or would be.