By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is buying BluRay movies worth it if you own a PS3?

Upscaling doesn't look near as good as native 1080p.

Well, for most movies. Some movie's (like Bram Stroker's Dracula), the Blu-Ray transfer is absolutely horrible, and looks like no better than the DVD version.

But yeah, for most movies, especially any titles released in the past 5 or so years, the Blu-Ray version looks much better than the DVD version upscaled.

As far as upgrading your collection, it's not worth it. I'd say only upgrade the movies that you REALLY love, particularly those that would benefit from a clearer picture (the only movies I'll probably re-buy from this point onward is the Lord of the Rings trilogy - my gosh it will look spectacular).

As for new movies, definitely get them on Blu-Ray.

Around the Network

I've Got A full 42inch 1080p HD LCD TV. I can certainly notice the difference but more so for TV show dvds than Film dvds ( the quality they're recorded in?)

yes they are.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

sega4life said:

If your TV is UNDER 46inches, Do Not Buy Blu-Ray Movies. There is no need even With-Out Upscale.

Like stated above the PS3 upscales DVD's that look almost identiacl to BR's on even a 54inch, I know, I own a 54in did not see a diffrence with my DvD or BR of Talladega Nights (came with PS3), only BR I owned.

It depends on how close you are to the tv.  My boss has a 29 in. television, and even he thinks Blu-Ray looks much better than DVD (and he actively buys them).

It all depends on your setup. Do you have a 1080p projector with 100" display? If so, you will notice a huge difference. Do you have a 720p 32" TV that sits 10 feet away? If so, you will not notice a difference at all.

I have a 50" 1080P TV that I sit about 7 feet away from. I notice a difference. I personally don't don't notice enough of one to update my DVD collection however. I will keep my DVD's, and if I buy new movies, buy them on Blu-ray.

The beauty of BD (and HD-DVD if it had won), is you don't need to upgrade your library. When S-VHS came out, I did not re-buy all my VHS movies, I just bought the new ones in S-VHS.

Around the Network

I guess I should have added I have a 40" Sony Bravia that does 720p/1080i. I usually play my games in 720p and watch movies in 1080i and I sit probably about 6-7 feet away. I also only have 5.1 surround and not 7.1..

twesterm said:
I guess I should have added I have a 40" Sony Bravia that does 720p/1080i. I usually play my games in 720p and watch movies in 1080i. I also only have 5.1 surround and not 7.1.

downscaled 1080i looks better then upscaled 480i/p

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

sega4life said:

If your TV is UNDER 46inches, Do Not Buy Blu-Ray Movies, there is no need.

DVD's are fine With-Out Upscale on 46inch TV's and below.

Like stated above the PS3 upscales DVD's that look almost identiacl to BR's on even a 54inch, I know, I own a 54inch and did not see a diffrence with my DvD compaired to BR of Talladega Nights (came with PS3), only BR I owned.

I can readily notice the difference on my 32 inch 720p-1080i set.

I only own 1 Blue-Ray movie, Thats "Spiderman3".

It looks better on Blue-Ray...Its not worth the 30-40dollar price btw.

I have a 37 inch 720p TV and I notice a huge difference; so much so that I've become a video snob and I can't stand watching DVDs anymore. If you don't notice a difference, you really should watch Planet Earth on blu ray.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering
if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
have that problem." -President Ronald Reagan

PSN: southpawHokieVT