By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - I just played "Gears of wars"

Gears of War is a video game with theatrical production values. It is easily the Xbox 360's crown jewel and if it doesn't get topped by GeoW2 then it will not get topped by anything on that console this generation.

Around the Network

To be honest, it's a shame recorded music has replaced MIDI. Sure it sounds better but you can play a lot of tricks with MIDI music (like reshaping the whole tune to match the in-game action) that are impossible to pull off with pre-canned recorded soundtracks.

Just like it happened with graphics, greater fidelity in music has led to a loss of creativity and variation.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

perpride said:
Gears of War is a video game with theatrical production values. It is easily the Xbox 360's crown jewel and if it doesn't get topped by GeoW2 then it will not get topped by anything on that console this generation.

i agree with this post

Bitmap Frogs said:
To be honest, it's a shame recorded music has replaced MIDI. Sure it sounds better but you can play a lot of tricks with MIDI music (like reshaping the whole tune to match the in-game action) that are impossible to pull off with pre-canned recorded soundtracks.

Just like it happened with graphics, greater fidelity in music has led to a loss of creativity and variation.

You mean like the music changing subtly in Banjo Tooie when you go to different areas, or in SSX the music stops and restarts if you stop moving.

I like things like that... if they can only be done with MIDI then I am perfectly fine with MIDI.

2 problems Riachu,

1. It was a joke.
2. Read my second sentence.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network

I thought the whole point of HD is realism.

HD gives you a higher resolution for a sharper image. Geometry Wars is in HD. The Simpsons game is in HD. Neither are realistic. They just look nicer compared to if they were in SD. More graphical power allows developers to create games that look more realistic, but that's separate to high definition.

TWRoO said:
Bitmap Frogs said:

You mean like the music changing subtly in Banjo Tooie when you go to different areas, or in SSX the music stops and restarts if you stop moving.

I like things like that... if they can only be done with MIDI then I am perfectly fine with MIDI.

You can do more than that: MIDI means the console generates the music real-time. You can change the pitch, the tone, everything. To be honest you can sort of replicate some of those tricks by recording a lot more music

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

pbroy said:

Resident Evil has horrible controls. Only 4 was descent. You also can't run while your shooting

AGREED!

It's hard to compare gears with the games that have come out since then.
Back in 2006 when this game released it set the bar for future games.

you sound like a child. The real world in a battlezone is not colorful, leave the colors to viva pinata.

Note: Some games in my collection are no longer owned, but have owned.