By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony nerfing PSP

source pspfanboy

PSP extended life battery kit is discontinued

Well, this sucks. According to SCEA's Al de Leon, the extended battery life kit for PSP is discontinued. The product nearly doubled the battery life on PSP-2000 systems, but came at a slight aesthetic price: a larger battery cover would be installed, creating a bulge in the system. However, with battery life as impressive as 12 hours or more, we were absolutely satisfied with the peripheral.

"Yes, we are discontinuing this product as we look for other opportunities to service the consumer," notes de Leon. Hopefully, we'll see something else that can augment the PSP's battery life.

I thought the rise of sales in Japan was really great for PSP and probably going to churn out more games. Can't Sony stop shooting itself in the foot?

Around the Network

maybe they wasnt selling well

Eh... Why haven't I heard of this... :S

Isn't this the battery that requires a special cover for the slim?

But its still stupid to dump this.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

well with new battery tech they should be working on smaller batteries. Only common sense says make a better battery.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
well with new battery tech they should be working on smaller batteries. Only common sense says make a better battery.

"Common sense" and "Sony" haven't exactly gone together for the past few years. 

If anything I'll bet that they're trying to simplify their product lines.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

ssj12 said:

Battery research is both slow and verrrry expensive.  Although I am not discounting that they will 'make a better battery', it is much easier said than done.  Granted, a lot of research is going into them now (especially for plug-in hybrids, etc), so maybe there's been a breakthrough I haven't heard of.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

sony has a nice line up of psp games coming now :)

Chances are, whoever wanted these things already has them and Sony isn't selling enough to where it's worthwhile to keep up production. Plus, it's not proprietary technology so other companies can do (and have done) the same thing. The few people left that want them can get them, and Sony doesn't have to worry about another of its products affecting the bottom line.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

I never really understood this. If you really need more battery life, just buy another battery... hell, buy 5.