By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sony phasing out 40gb model, 1 SKU future, for better or worse?

With the news that Sony will be phasing out the 40gb model and 80gb BC model to achieve a one Sku future, will this turn out better or worse for Sony? Less choice vs Less confusion?

Around the Network

If the price stays to the 40 gb level then there will be no problem. And I'm gonna buy one!

Where can I read this ?

chicoggyfx said:
Where can I read this ?

By going back into time, around a month ago.

Is for better I think... (If they keep it as the only model WW)

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network

i think a lot of people are going to get even more confused with the 80gig cuz of the BC 80gig

I like the idea, less confusion is always better, the Wii is so simple people cant get confused.

People will be less confused. $399 PS3 without BC and $499 PS3 with BC.

Soriku said:
obieslut said:
i think a lot of people are going to get even more confused with the 80gig cuz of the BC 80gig

This. There's less to choose from which is good but then people will get confused about the BC and they'll go "WTF?"

More than that, phasing out the software BC model guarantees that, even when the price of the console drops, long-time PS2 owners will be reluctant to upgrade. All in all, probably a bad move - but then, so was dropping BC in the first place.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

A single SKU past might have been an idea... single SKU future will be nice, although it would have been better to have a diffrent HDD, because as obieslut said, people will confuse the new ones with the old 80GB.

Well they will in America anyway (and Japan? are they going 1 SKU too?) Europe hasn't had an 80GB version ever.