By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Russia Invades Georgia

It's kind of hard for Georgia not to retaliate when South Ossetia rebels were the ones to fire first.

I don't believe it's "coincidence" that South Ossetia broke the cease fire, and attacked Georgia, provoking huge retaliation, thus in turn, getting Russia to start bombing the crap out of Georgia.

After all, how could Georgia be shooting down Russian bombers if they clearly weren't deep into Georgian airspace?

I agree with Menago - Russia is losing power in the former bloc nations, and is testing the West to see exactly how far they can get. Thank God Poland is having the balls (at the moment) to say that Russia is trying to make a power play, and will do what's needed to stop it. I am all for Poland (and any other nation) sending forces to Georgia to try and force the Russians out of the region.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
It's kind of hard for Georgia not to retaliate when South Ossetia rebels were the ones to fire first.

I don't believe it's "coincidence" that South Ossetia broke the cease fire, and attacked Georgia, provoking huge retaliation, thus in turn, getting Russia to start bombing the crap out of Georgia.

After all, how could Georgia be shooting down Russian bombers if they clearly weren't deep into Georgian airspace?

I agree with Menago - Russia is losing power in the former bloc nations, and is testing the West to see exactly how far they can get. Thank God Poland is having the balls (at the moment) to say that Russia is trying to make a power play, and will do what's needed to stop it. I am all for Poland (and any other nation) sending forces to Georgia to try and force the Russians out of the region.

It's probably also not a coincidence that russian troops had been building up on the border for months now.  But hey... even if you do take it was a coincidence the whole thing was Russia's fault to begin with by setting up the South Ossetia territory during the soviet union era.

mrstickball said:

Question, how much does China support Russia?

I know they have recently been agreeing on a fair few issues and I'm just wondering whether they would issue any support for Russia if the conflict would escalate.

Rath said:
mrstickball said:

I know they have recently been agreeing on a fair few issues and I'm just wondering whether they would issue any support for Russia if the conflict would escalate.

I think China will do nothing at all.  The relations between China and Russia are nothing more than like every country who haves a neighbour country.

Rath said:
mrstickball said:

they might...in the event it escalates into a big US vs Russia thing.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
MrBubbles said:
Rath said:
mrstickball said:

Or they might support USA if it escalates that much but I give it more chances that they stay Neutral so long it doesn't hurt China.

i guess its possible....you never truly know what someone will do until they do it. (id bet on opposing the US, though)

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

konnichiwa said:
MrBubbles said:

Or they might support USA if it escalates that much but I give it more chances that they stay Neutral so long it doesn't hurt China.

To be honest I was only wondering because Russia and China seem to be the other side of the security council from France/USA/UK.

Rath said:
konnichiwa said:
MrBubbles said:

To be honest I was only wondering because Russia and China seem to be the other side of the security council from France/USA/UK.

Ah, China is a country that really don't like to interfere with a country.  I mean with this if there is a dictator for example a random country in Africa China doesn't want to interfere them.  They don't care what dictators/presidents/kings do in a other country it is not their bussiness.

But yeah your example is a good one. What was China stance with USA-Iraq?

TBILISI, Georgia - A Georgian minister says Georgian troops have pulled out of Tskhinvali — the capital of the breakaway province of South Ossetia — under massive Russian shelling.