By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CNET.com - "Why Microsoft Should Aquire Sony's Gaming Division"

gebx said:
dlguy said:

Long time lurker here. I feel the need to chip in. SCE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corp:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press_Archive/200311/03-054E/

This means Sony Corp controls 100% of SCE's stocks, and SCE's stocks are not available for public trading.

MSFT buying SCE is not an option, unless MSFT were to buy all of Sony Corp.

Everything's for sale... for a price. Just like this website... and even your forehead (again for a price)

LOLz

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
Pristine20 said:

I just found out that PetroChina is more valuable than ExxonMobil even though it made less profit. What gives?

The latest company profits don't matter that much. For example, many banks have lost a lot of money recently, but that doesn't mean they don't have assets anymore.

What can happen is that when a company makes small profits or loses money for a long enough time, investors can decide that it means the assets are not worth as much anymore. As a consequence, there will be a sell-off and the stock price (and market cap) will go down.

Yeah but isn't that what explains HSBC's $2 trillion asset  worth vs its $180 billion market value?

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Buying Sony for any western company would be close to impossible anyway seeing how half the company's stock is owned by Japanese institutions or individuals which would be very unlikely to sell to a western company.........

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

ssj12 said:
rocketpig said:
DTG said:
goddog said:

@DTG, so, simcity, civilization, and europa universales

are not intellectually stimulating ....

sorry but id have to disagree, and as for artistic id have to say gears was mighty impressive with the scenery, though to each their own,

have a BFA could be an art nazi

@ali thanks for the list i do remeber when nintendo was much cheaper... apple had all that cash just laying around ... and still does... maybe they could buy sony

What did those games inspire you to learn, teach you about life and yourself or had a profound impact on your worldview?

What games by Sony have profoundly affected your worldview?

I;d almost say Killzone actually has a very profound story... or GOW.... Patapon definitely doesnt.

Are you guys serious?

You see the world differently because you played Killzone and MGS?

I understand seing things differently after Simcity and Civ since they both provide info on things that affect their daily life... but how in the hell have chopping up some dude with giant axes and stealth killing some poor security guard changed your worldview? 

It's actually kind of scary...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

dlguy said:

Long time lurker here. I feel the need to chip in. SCE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corp:

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press_Archive/200311/03-054E/

This means Sony Corp controls 100% of SCE's stocks, and SCE's stocks are not available for public trading.

MSFT buying SCE is not an option, unless MSFT were to buy all of Sony Corp.

There's no such thing as "SCE stocks", as SCE is not a company, just a division.

That's why I previously said that Sony's investors are the only ones who can force Sony to sell SCE. If Microsoft made an offer which Sony's investors wanted Sony to accept, it could happen.

I don't think it's very likely though, unless Sony's profits tank much more or SCE makes big losses. If that happens, Sony could be forced to sell off unprofitable parts of the company.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Reasonable said:
MS could also do with buying Google and other companies that are giving it trouble around its core business, and Apple would be handy too.

I mean, its not the analysis is flawed as such, its just that you could say that about any competitive company - hell, all Sony has to do is buy Nintendo and the job's done for this generation, right?

Or maybe Apple buys MS entertainment division and shuts down Zune, etc. and uses 360 to get into gaming...

What's missing, apart from a few too vague statements in my opinion, is any real reason for Sony to make such a sale, big losses or not at this stage in time, particularly given how crucial PS3 is right now for BR adoption.

M$ can not afford Google, Nintendo, Apple, or Sony. These companies, and many others, are the world's power houses and therefore would cost as much as a small country to purchase. None of them can afford one another.

As for Blu-ray it  has made some large increases as of late. It has held about 7 - 8% of the US disc based movie market gaining between 7.5 - 9 million dollars in revenue each week. BR adoption doesnt seem to bad for how much it costs.

I know that!  I'm pointing out that the original point is valid for all companies and was presented without any strong reason why Sony would want to sell its entertainment division or how MS would go about buying it.

Its a pure speculation piece and not news as such... not only that but I'd aruge the same logic applies in reverse.  MS in total has made zero from entertainment divison and is under threat in its core business from other companies and it could be argued on overall performance MS should sell its entertainment division and perhaps even more urgently than Sony.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Pristine20 said:
NJ5 said:
Pristine20 said:

I just found out that PetroChina is more valuable than ExxonMobil even though it made less profit. What gives?

The latest company profits don't matter that much. For example, many banks have lost a lot of money recently, but that doesn't mean they don't have assets anymore.

What can happen is that when a company makes small profits or loses money for a long enough time, investors can decide that it means the assets are not worth as much anymore. As a consequence, there will be a sell-off and the stock price (and market cap) will go down.

Yeah but isn't that what explains HSBC's $2 trillion asset  worth vs its $180 billion market value?

A bank's assets has little relationship to its market value as banks have huge liabilities in term of loans for example ( every bank has huge loans with others banks).

If you want to have an idea of the real value of HSBC independantly of its market value you have to look at its book value.( which is sometime called net assets, it's assets minus liabilities and depreciation).

Looking only at total assets is like saying you are worth 300k $ because that is what you paid for your house but forgetting to mention you have a 250k mortgage to repay :p

In that case your book value would be 50k.( that is overly simplified but you get the idea).

Most banks have actually a market value that is fraction of their book value ( 80% or so), it's lower these days.

The main reason is that banks have assets whose value is very hard to guess ( that's the reason of the current financial crisis among other things).

Even without going into exotic bonds, you could have 10 Billion $ of Sony stock, but if you decide to sell it all tomorrow, you won't get 10 Billion for it..........( another closer to reality would be bonds, a lot of bonds are actually very hard to trade, so the bank could have a lot of money in bonds but their value is only somewhat exact if the bank keeps them till their term, if it was to decide to sell them before that time, the price really is hard to guess for something that does not trade often...)

Basically  the big issue is that for a lot of assets, the bank say that is what they are worth and there is noone to be able to validate that so you have to take the bank's worth for it, which is one of the big reason all the banks are doing so bad on the market right now....

That is what explain the huge losses you see coming from banks the last year or so. What happens basically is the bank suddenly tells you that those 10 Billion worth of bonds it had on its book are now really only worth 5 Billion so it takes a 5 Billion loss without having really done much except suddenly change the value of one asset.....

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Pristine20 said:
NJ5 said:
Pristine20 said:

No, look at HSBC's stock price in the last year (market cap is just stock price times number of stocks):

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=HBC#chart1:symbol=hbc;range=1y;indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

Their liabilities may have increased, but not that much. It's normal for the market cap to be quite below the assets value.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The thing is that to buy Sony's gaming division they would have to get Sony (or the majority of their shareholders) to agree to that.

This is about as likely as Sony buying MS.

Anyway, since Sony has $117 Billion as assets listed and it's market cap is $40 billion, buying it would lose their shareholders about $77 Billion dollars. They'd have to be clinically insane to even consider it.

NJ5 said:
Pristine20 said:
NJ5 said:
Pristine20 said:

No, look at HSBC's stock price in the last year (market cap is just stock price times number of stocks):

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=HBC#chart1:symbol=hbc;range=1y;indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on;ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

Their liabilities may have increased, but not that much. It's normal for the market cap to be quite below the assets value.

Thats strange. So HSBC is basically devalued and currently can be sold for much cheaper than it's worth?