By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CNET.com - "Why Microsoft Should Aquire Sony's Gaming Division"

This will never happen, so it is a waste of time to discuss it.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
rocketpig said:
DTG said:
goddog said:

@DTG, so, simcity, civilization, and europa universales

are not intellectually stimulating ....

sorry but id have to disagree, and as for artistic id have to say gears was mighty impressive with the scenery, though to each their own,

have a BFA could be an art nazi

@ali thanks for the list i do remeber when nintendo was much cheaper... apple had all that cash just laying around ... and still does... maybe they could buy sony

What did those games inspire you to learn, teach you about life and yourself or had a profound impact on your worldview?

What games by Sony have profoundly affected your worldview?

I;d almost say Killzone actually has a very profound story... or GOW.... Patapon definitely doesnt.

Killzone's story is about as profound as Haze, and slightly better done.

God of War? Really? The videogame equivalent of an Arnold Schwartzenegger film has a profound story? Really?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

@ Rocket Please stop your killing an interesting topic

So would it be possible for a business to have a high market cap with few assets if it was making alot of profit and projected to make profit for  the forseeable future ?

Million said:

So would it be possible for a business to have a high market cap with few assets if it was making alot of profit and projected to make profit for  the forseeable future ?

Hey, don't blame me. I'm not the one who brought it up.

Million said:

You just defined Google :) ( and most profitables software companies out there).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network
Ail said:
Million said:

You just defined Google :) ( and most profitables software companies out there).

Ahh Internet based business came to mind when I was thinking about that. So who would determine that a business would be profitable for the forseeable future , is there a calculation for it ?.

I'm confused that Assets:Profitability ratio would be used as a standard if businesses like google exist , isn't it unfair ?

Million said:
Ail said:
Million said:

Ahh Internet based business came to mind when I was thinking about that. So who would determine that a business would be profitable for the forseeable future , is there a calculation for it ?.

I'm confused that Assets:Profitability ratio would be used as a standard if businesses like google exist , isn't it unfair ?

Analysts observe trends in the market. The Internet market moves more quickly than most, but it's still relatively slow so projections can be made. In all, it comes down to analysts talking to Google, studying their past financials, looking at asset/debt, observing market trends, and trying to figure out what Google is planning next (unless Google is forthright and tells everyone).

Then they make an educated guess. People buy stocks based on these educated guesses and that's how the whole shebang works, really.

Million said:
Ail said:
Million said:

That's why there isn't a formula that will give you a company stock price based on it's book and profit.

Depending what company your compare you have to use different ratio. ( Price/Earning, Price/Book).

And when comparign companies there are actually a lot of factors that come into play...

There's risks in company that are worth a lot more than their assets too. Lets say the company tanks, if you have a lot of assets you can sell them and get back some cash.

No assets means nothing to sell so you are really screwed.

Assets usually means very little for company dealing in immaterial stuff like Intellectual Property. ( most software companies).

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Yeah, assets vs. profitability can work for a company. A corporation with low profits and high assets, combined with low liability will be a steady earner for a long period of time barring market changes. These are the companies that people invest in for years at a time, often in mutual funds. They'll earn money slow and steady, perfect for a retirement fund.

Companies like Google, on the other hand, if they were to make a disastrous move, they could become virtually worthless within days because they have no assets to back up the company. It can be a double-edge sword. With no assets, the company is very nimble but very prone to crashing and burning should a dumb decision be made.

Very informative Ali , Rocket thanx.