By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Intel Releases Details of New 'Larrabee' Graphics Chips

Intel has provided the first details of its new graphics chip technology code named Larrabee. The new chip architecture is designed to improve performance by putting more 'cores' on a chip, rather than focusing attention on developing a single chip to run faster. The company plans this way to enter new markets, starting with high-end graphics processors.

As dual and quad-core chips have become a mainstay in computer chip technology, Intel's Larrabee, Intel says, will empower over 10 processing units (or cores) on a single chip with the possibility of increasing cores to hundreds. The new processors are slated to enter the market only in late 2009 or early 2010, in direct competition with Nvidia and ATI (now owned by AMD).

Source: http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007381.html

I wonder what that will mean to the market...

I am a Gamer... I play games and not consoles. I have a PC and Console on which I game... I like games. End of Story!

Around the Network

Intel seriously is going to fail at this even with SLi tech on their motherboards

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

We'll they can't fail as much as nvidia is now, amirite?

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

From what I read, it seemed like a lower clock rate (1 GHz) version of the Cell based on x86 instead of PPC, but intended as a coprocessor, not as a main processor.

It should be a great processor for some applications, but I'm not sure it will beat GPUs at graphics.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The prices will be frightful, Intel aren't known for their cheap hardware...

Around the Network

once they release their CPGPU processors then things will get interesting.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453