By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom trying to blame piracy for poor DMC4 (PC) sales?

And totally ignore the half a year release date after the console versions...

source wikipedia for release dates

PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
JP January 31, 2008
NA February 5, 2008
AUS February 7, 2008[3]
EU February 8, 2008
Microsoft Windows[4]
NA July 8, 2008[5]
AUS July 10, 2008
EU July 11, 2008
JP July 24, 2008

source ars technica

Capcom struggles with piracy, DRM, and low PC sales of DMCIV

By Ben Kuchera | Published: August 03, 2008 - 02:03PM CT

It's always fascinating when developers and publishers have an open discourse with gamers about the industry, and in a recent thread where a fan wondered if Capcom was happy about Devil May Cry 4 sales on the PC, a conversation about digital distribution, piracy, and DRM began that has proven incredibly interesting. Yes, the game got pirated "to hell and back," but Capcom is bullish about the possibilities for future PC games, even if sales of Devil May Cry 4 weren't as strong as some had hoped. 

Christian Svensson, the Corporate Officer/VP of Strategic Planning & Business Development of Capcom, spoke at length about the issue on the official forums, adding his annoyance that the team behind the game "didn't use any of the DRM mechanisms requested," and that the game was torrented the day of release. Svensson sees a big help coming from digital distribution channels for future games. "I certainly have pushed for digital distribution on the title (globally, I'm responsible for all DD deals), but Capcom Japan so far has not allowed it," he wrote. "For the record ALL CEI developed titles will be distributed extremely widely via digital channels (not just Steam or Direct2Drive, but more than a dozen partners across more than 100 sites/portals for everything we do)."

Svensson also describes how certain DRM mechanisms, without communication, might give certain games the reputation of being buggy. For instance, both Mass Effect and Bioshock have certain "tripwires" in the game that cause pirated versions to exhibit bug-like characteristics. This might be a problem for pirates who claim to try before they buy. "[The tripwires] are more effective than people think... part of the problem though is that EA and T2 didn't actually communicate what's supposed to happen," he wrote. "[Pirates] get enough of a taste of the game to see if they like the content, but if they want to experience it in non-buggy fashion, they need to buy it legitimately... those issues weren't communicated clearly, and as such, the subset of pirates who use such means to sample content before purchase, were clearly turned off."

It's an interesting point: how many people complain of bugginess of these games online because of their pirated versions not working due to developer tripwires? The fact that these measures weren't discussed is somewhat amazing; this is the first many people will have heard of them, meaning that the "buy the game to get a bug-free experience" argument doesn't hold much water. That only works when there is an open discussion about where those bugs come from. 

Is that what PC gamers want? Capcom hopes so

The other problem may have been a lack of support from the gaming press, who didn't seem impressed by such a console-centric game on the PC. "I'm sort of surprised at how few reviews have come out, but then again, there are fewer and fewer outlets reviewing PC games these days," Svensson wrote. "Even so, most reviewers write it off as 'console dreck' because it's not an RTS, an FPS or an MMO... We think there is an audience for action games on PC (that aren't FPses), even if they are sometimes best played with a gamepad rather than a KB and mouse."

That seems like quite the leap of logic: consoles are selling in great numbers, whereas many people with PCs certainly don't have the hardware to run something like Devil May Cry. The series is so well-known and console-specific, it could just be content that PC gamers aren't interested in—especially if they have to buy a game pad to play well. 

There may have been many reasons for Devil May Cry's low performance on the PC: Capcom's less than stellar reputation on PC ports, action-centric non-FPS games have trouble finding an audience on the PC, and piracy are just the three most obvious ones. DRM continues to plague the industry, as even "effective" measures seem to backfire. Still, Capcom is hopeful. "I have a kickass PC connected to my 65" 1080p TV in my living room. It'll destroy all of my consoles and ask for seconds in terms of performance. I know there are others out there like me that similarly enjoy that experience," Svensson wrote. "We are members of the PCGA. As a company, we strongly believe that the future of the PC is bright."

We have heard these talking points before, but it's very possible this was just the wrong product on the wrong platform.

Are they expecting people to buy the game the second time for PC version?

Around the Network

i do not know one person who has brought this game but i know 4 people who have downloaded it.

I have no idea why they would even make DMC4 for the PC. I think of it as a strictly console game and can't really fathom how mouse and keyboard controls would feel. I guess I'll go download and see. :P j/k

Kingdom Hearts 3 Bet: If Kingdom Hearts 3 becomes a multiplaform title/is not Wii exclusive then I will be banished from this land for 1 week and sing my praises to those who have proved themselves to be more intelligent than I.http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y267/RDBRaptor/rdbraptor_sig16.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">
My Anime List

There are PC gamers that don't own consoles. PC games are so easy to pirate that it's not surprising lots of people download them.

I think of it as a strictly console game and can't really fathom how mouse and keyboard controls would feel.

You can play it with an Xbox 360 wireless/wired controller along with several other joypads.

obieslut said:
i do not know one person who has brought this game but i know 4 people who have downloaded it.

Did they ever buy any other game, or are they just singling out DMC4 for some reason?

Many games do fine, so piracy isn't the answer to everything (although it can be nice to have something external to blame). Yeah, there are lots of pirates, but there are also lots of people who buy PC games.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I bought it (haven't had time to play it yet) but I believe them. There's no online so why would they buy it unless they are a goody two-shoes like me.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

IMO: DMC 4 is just not a PC orientated game. Well they can say piracy is affecting PC sales of all games to a certain degree, PC games are easy to pirate.

Many games do fine, so piracy isn't the answer to everything (although it can be nice to have something external to blame). Yeah, there are lots of pirates, but there are also lots of people who buy PC games.

As steven787 said, whether the game has online features or not makes a big difference. People would buy a game like COD4 so they can play online without having to find cracked servers, but DMC4 has no online features at all so a pirated version has the exact same features as the legit one.

Part of the problem is the machine and number of users. The benefit with consoles is that they are dedicated at running only 1 piece of software at a time. Where as a computer runs numerous pieces of software. This results in console games require higher than normal PC specs when ported.

Now I have friends who are both hardcore PC & Console gamers and friends that are far more laid back.

Ok heres my point. My hardcore friend has one of those dick computers. Quad core, 4gb ram, 500gb HDD, $700 gfx card all that plus a hand made dragon cut out with blue lighting responding to sound and liquid cooling system. Won't go into his $200 computer keyboard.... He also put a liquid cooling system in his 360. So yeah tech geeeeeeeeek allll the way. He has an incredible paying tech job, works as tech IT on Saturday and does contract work. Ok guess what. He has loads of pirated games. When he makes that much money why pirate. That's a simple answer. He's a tech geek and is smart enought to know how and have the patience to pirate.

Ok then I have my slightly geeky friends and non geeky friends. Both groups have computers. First there computers don't equal the power to my own and mines a budget gaming computer. Dual core 2.8, 512mb ram with Dx10 for $80..... heres the thing. They buy a good 90% of there games. The ones they pirate are old classics like X-Com.

Guess what system DMC4 won't run on? yeah people who don't have a computer that can run the game. So Capcom is bitching that there game is pretty much only targetting the smart enough technical savy computers. Who then are pirating there game. oh yeah that's smart. If they wan't to make money it's time to scale back those specs by sacrifcing polygon, texturing pushing art and get that game running on most of the computers out there. This is why I don't have sympathy for Console focused companies trying to do computers. They don't understand the nature of PC landscape.

PC games do sell. They sell well. But if you make a game focusing in a certain game type, requirements and people. Then your pretty much putting your game into the realm of piraters.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Hmph...just one of the many advantages on how PC gaming is better than consoles.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY