By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan's PS2 launch numbers... is this right?

According to this site, the PS2 launched on 03/05/00 with 706,250 consoles sold, but only 67,250 games. That can't be right, how did over 600,000 people buy the Playstation 2 and not get a single game?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Well, start out by looking at the chart http://www.vgcharts.org/japweekly.php?date=36590 The truth is that when the PS2 was launched in Japan the DVD format had existed for ~3 years and was getting to be a high demand product; the PS2 launched at $300 at a time when (most) DVD players were $500-$750.

I know when the PS2 launched in Australia, it came with a "demo" disc. Had a few playable demos (SSX), some movies, tech demos and the like. And it was so hyped, new and advanced compared to everything else around... lack of software didn't matter. I believe, within a few weeks of the Japan launch, VF, RR were out - and had sold 500k+ units each.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

I guess it wasn't right. Now when I look up PS2 software it says 595,000 for the launch week... Must have been a glitch

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.