By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Nvidia to exit chipset biz (rumor)

FJ-Warez said:
nVidia is having a hard time (WIth defective chips all over the line of products) but they are not going to leave the market...

That's not it. It's the market trend... AMD and Intel are pushing for CGPUs, which will make GPUs obsolete. Unlike them, Nvidia only has expertise in GPUs but not CPUs, so how are they going to counter?

Around the Network
shio said:
The future of the hardware market is going to be GPU-less and the we will see single chips work as both CPU and GPU, or CGPU... Intel and AMD are steadily working for that. Intel has Larrabee and AMD has Fusion, but what does Nvidia have? Nothing, Nvidia does not have the infrastructure nor expertise to venture into CPU business, while Intel and AMD have experience on CPU and GPU (the reason why AMD bought ATI) and they will no doubt be the ones to control the entire market.

Since Nvidia's bread is going to the shitter, they only have 2 choices:
- Try follow Intel and AMD, even though being VERY late to enter the CGPU market trend which would no doubt make Nvidia carry some heavy losses.
- Quit chipset business, and focus on other venues.

I wouldn't agree about Intel... Intel doesn't know much about GPU's because their current GPU's are one of the crappiest in the industry. Some of them can't even run Vista properly. I have never of any good Intel GPU and I doubt there has ever been one.

shio said:
FJ-Warez said:
nVidia is having a hard time (WIth defective chips all over the line of products) but they are not going to leave the market...

That's not it. It's the market trend... AMD and Intel are pushing for CGPUs, which will make GPUs obsolete. Unlike them, Nvidia only has expertise in GPUs but not CPUs, so how are they going to counter?

Lol, I agree that the market trend goes to videochips integrated on the die of the CPU, but the current chips can't be integrated, Fusion will be a low entry solution (Laptops and lowcost pcs) like the current chip 780G...

Larrabe will be a monster, mostly to accelerate the current CPUs task (If we believe the claims), but none of them are going to replace the current videocard at least for 5 years (If ever)... nVidia is not fine and dandy now, but they are not really in danger for at least half decade, and we need to first how the market will react to those products...

Edit: If you want, we can discuss this later, I'm going out today...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."