By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Post Your Favorite Anime(s)!

Miyazaki Films in General!  (Particularly Mononoke, Kiki, and Totoro)

Ranma 

Azumanga Daioh

and Tenchi, natch. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

Wow, forgot some really good animes

Char's Counterattack
V Gundam
Turn A Gundam
The Five Star Stories
Grave of the Fireflies
Ideon
Macross Plus
Rah Xephon
The End of Evangelion
Patlabor

All good stuff worth rewatching :D

ssj12 said:
takkxyz said:
ssj12 said:
takkxyz said:
For all future notices, Mobile Suit Gundam SEED "borrowed" at least half of its content from earlier Mobile Suit Gundam series, and not just intro like many Gundam series after the original Gundam, but all plot point from first episode until they reach Alliance HQ (with some other Gundam OVA plots thrown in). SEED DESTINY "borrowed" so much it was not even funny, it even borrowed non-gundam design from earlier...

Well, rant is over. And yea, One Piece is slow start but only get better afterward (unless you are watching anime, filler drops the continuity pretty badly)

Yea but it Seed Destiny also released the strongest Gundam ever created. Strike Freedom. I think Strike Freedom could kill the Dark Gundam by it self..

I think you meant "Devil Gundam"

Also, while SF may not be as strong as Devil Gundam (it can indefinitely regenerate as long as it gets a 'pilot'), it always win as though it have god mode on, or so many people kept saying that.

I know its called Devil Gundam I just wanted to lower myself to use the English show's gundam names. But I think the SF could give and win against the Devil Gundam. Grant it Kira would even have a hard time but its Kira, Kira never loses on purpose. Plus the Devil Gundam cant because it would create the dark army mechs and Kira would just destroy every single one of them in like 5 minutes.

Yeah, anything is possible with "God Mode" on

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto, Bleach(until it started sucking, which is when the bounto arc started), Escaflowne, and if we count movies then all the Miyazki films I've seen: Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke(my fav.), Castle in the Sky, Nauusica of the Valley of the Wind, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service. I need to watch all of his films soon.

I've started watching the anime Beserk which is also pretty good.

Saiyar said:

Neon Genisis is the greatest anime ever (not including the film which was ment for idiots that didn't undersand the TV series). Given Anno's experiences in the 3 years before hand it is easy to see why it is so well written. It may surprise you to know that Anno was also had improtant roles in several Mayazaki films including Nausica, Luputa and the Ghibli short films.

The Melencholy of Suzimaya Haruhi is propably the second best anime after that. As someone who reads the novels I can only, say as great as the first series is it will only get better.

After that ther are lots of current/past animes I would recomend, most of which have been mentioned here.

PS any Studio Ghibli film = awesome.

Apparently they're working on new movies. According to wikipedia, "On September 9, 2006, Gainax confirmed a new animated film series called Rebuild of Evangelion, consisting of four movies to be released in 2007 and 2008. The first three movies will be an alternate retelling of the TV series (including new scenes, settings, backgrounds, characters), and the fourth movie will be a completely new conclusion to the story." So another chance for more interesting story or could take a down turn. I guess we'll see.

Around the Network
takkxyz said:
ssj12 said:
takkxyz said:
ssj12 said:
takkxyz said:
For all future notices, Mobile Suit Gundam SEED "borrowed" at least half of its content from earlier Mobile Suit Gundam series, and not just intro like many Gundam series after the original Gundam, but all plot point from first episode until they reach Alliance HQ (with some other Gundam OVA plots thrown in). SEED DESTINY "borrowed" so much it was not even funny, it even borrowed non-gundam design from earlier...

Well, rant is over. And yea, One Piece is slow start but only get better afterward (unless you are watching anime, filler drops the continuity pretty badly)

Yea but it Seed Destiny also released the strongest Gundam ever created. Strike Freedom. I think Strike Freedom could kill the Dark Gundam by it self..

Also, while SF may not be as strong as Devil Gundam (it can indefinitely regenerate as long as it gets a 'pilot'), it always win as though it have god mode on, or so many people kept saying that.

I know its called Devil Gundam I just wanted to lower myself to use the English show's gundam names. But I think the SF could give and win against the Devil Gundam. Grant it Kira would even have a hard time but its Kira, Kira never loses on purpose. Plus the Devil Gundam cant because it would create the dark army mechs and Kira would just destroy every single one of them in like 5 minutes.

I hate to sound like a bit of a nerd but the strongest gundam is arguably the 'Turn A Gundam' which can ue moonlight butterfly to turn all technology into dust. And then there's the Ideon which can destroy all life in the universe.

ZZetaAlec said:
takkxyz said:
ssj12 said:
takkxyz said:
ssj12 said:
takkxyz said:

I hate to sound like a bit of a nerd but the strongest gundam is arguably the 'Turn A Gundam' which can ue moonlight butterfly to turn all technology into dust. And then there's the Ideon which can destroy all life in the universe.

LOL i knew that but I didn't want to sound like that big a nerd and correct them, glad someone did it for me :P

I'm Japanese so naturally I grew up watching tons of Anime. Here are a few titles in my book. 

Anime: Conan, The Boy in Future
This is one of Miyazaki's very early works.  Bar none, this is the best TV Anime series I've ever seen.  It has a special spot in my heart.  

If you only appreciate gun/sword/violence/robot action type Anime, this may not be for you.  But if you're mature enough, I hope you'll give it a try (start from ep.1 of course).  I've watched some of its episode when I was young then saw the entire series when I  grew up.  I don't know if this series is available in English though. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_Boy_Conan 

Anime: The Castle of Cagliostro
This is another of Miyazaki's early works. This is probably one of the most beloved Anime titles in Japan of all time. If you can watch this with good sub (and with no stupid cut/editing), you'll probably see why. 

Anime: Grave of the Fireflies
This title transcends Anime.  It's simply one of the great films of all time.  and Roger Ebert agrees: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20000319/REVIEWS08/3190301/1023

Prepare to be increadibly sad.  It's not just "shed-a-tear-or-two sad". 
It'll devastate you - if you have a heart. 

But you'll appreciate that you saw it.  This is kind of art work that'll affect your soul.   
http://www.amazon.com/Grave-Fireflies-Collectors-Tsutomu-Tatsumi/dp/B00006HAWP/

Other than that, I like the following manga (Japanese comic books).  These titiles have been ported to Anime but to me these original manga versions are way way superior in every sense:

Manga: Akira
Manga: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

You'll be happily surprised by the difference between manga and anime versions.    Storylines are way richer, complex, longer, and more adult oriented in Manga.  I'm pretty sure there are English versions.

No, it's not going to stop  'Til you wise up
No, it's not going to stop  So just ... give up
- Aimee Mann

current on-going favorite: keteikyoshi hitman reborn.

+ too many to name :)

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

Delusional said:
current on-going favorite: keteikyoshi hitman reborn.

+ too many to name :)

Oh Hitman Reborn is great!  I forgot it on mine, I'm surprised it took so long to name.  It seems anime and gaming fans often overlap.  I never expected so many anime fans to show up on the forum.