By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - ZoneAlarm Security Suite

As of now, I have McAfee Antivirus, but it hasn't done much to protect me from spyware or viruses, even when updated. Because of this, I'm considering getting this software. However, I'm skeptical about its performance and I'd like to know how good this is compared to other services. Things I want to know are:

Does the spyware removal software work? Other free ones I've tried hardly help and only remove tracking cookies...

And, does the firewall do a good job of protecting my computer?

Around the Network

No replies?

I find that using an alternative browser such as Firefox or Opera, as well as AVGFree anti-virus and anti-spyware is enough to nullify most threats (and it's free). Get rid of McAfee, the thing is a terrible resource hog, just like any Norton products. You'll find it speeds up your computer noticably when you remove it. AVGFree is a lightweight and excellent product and when teamed with any browser except ie, and safe browsing habits, you'll find you get very little in the way of malware and viruses.

From what I know, ZoneAlarm is pretty poor.

Of course the best option is to get rid of Windows and either use a Mac or install Linux, both of which are pretty viable alternatives unless you are a PC gamer.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Before I switched over to vista I used zone alarm, the firewall software that is. I, to this day have never once been disappointed with it. I suspect that a similar level of competency (for lack of a better word) will be found in other zone alarm products. Although, before you purchase anything, just as the guy said above. Try switching to firefox two. It's faster and more secure, and it just plain works better than any version of internet explorer.

Yeah, I use the free Zone Alarm firewall software for my Windows XP machine, I haven't had any complaints, seems to do a good job at protecting my computer. Last I checked it wasn't Vista compatible, so for my laptop, I've had to use PCTools Firewall. It's doesn't have all the features of Zone Alarm, but still does a good job.