By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Can the PS3 really surpass the 360 next year?

I doubt the japanese market will make a huge impact with HD consoles, so I think that for a lot of people (well at the very least me), the PS3 has recently lost all of it's appeal. This is due to the exclusive PS3 licenses being multiplatform and the fact that the 360 is so cheap that I already bought one at half the price of the PS3 (europe).

Well the last appeal I had for the PS3 over the 360 was FF and with that one gone, I'm actually very glad that I did not wait for it to release before going HD (and it would have been PS3).

So no I don't think PS3 will pass 360, it will get close but that is it......unless blueray booms and people start buying PS3s at $200 for this purpose (so endlife)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

To all those who think that PS3 won't outsell 360: since October, the 360 has been owned with the exception of the immediate aftermath of a clearance price cut. I just don't see how the 360 can turn the situation around, given that:

It is half the price of the PS3 in Europe, yet it can't outsell it.
Despite having much better exclusives and a price cut it was outsold during '07 holiday season.

This year PS3 has a much better lineup, so I can only imagine it outselling the 360.

It will out sell it eventually.PS3 is the cheapest BR player on the market and all the exclusive games comming this holiday season the numbers are going to reflect it this holiday season.

Sales predictions end of 08' (2008-7-27)

• PS3: 20. million
  • X360: 23. million
  • WII: 40. million        

PS3 to surpass X360 WW sales by Q2 2009

As someone above said, we will know better when the christmas sales have all come in. I personally think the PS3 will overtake next year, and predicted Q3 in the prediction thread

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

There is NO DOUBT in my mind that the ps3 will pass the 360 by xmas time next year, how ever the 360 is putting up more of a fight then i thought, half of that is sonys bad launch/price/games for the first year...

My PSN Name is:  EvilChronos    add me if u want :)

END OF GENERATION PREDICTIONS  "9-21-08"

PS3=130M     360=90M     Wii=120M     DS=130M     PSP=70M

Other Prediction: The PS3 will overtake the 360 XMAS of 09  "9-21-08"

Around the Network

Both consoles are only 6 million apart, I say by the end of 2009, and everyone that has a 360 will probably be buying one. It's gaining good potential as time passes. BTW didn't the Wii surpass the 360 when the 360 only had a 5 million install base?

"Anything is possible"

peachbuggy said:
lol at these sony fanboys! Price cut was about a year ago, right? Watch ps3s sales fall y.o.y soon. Why do they think all of a sudden ps3 sales are gonna go through the roof. IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

Big titles are coming up this year for the PS3, PS3 is getting the 80 GB SKU as standard at 399$, Highly recognized has the next generation HD movie player ( Blu Ray ) and the ultimate multimedia console compatible with HDTV's in the living room, no, your logic failed

alucardremixed said:
peachbuggy said:
lol at these sony fanboys! Price cut was about a year ago, right? Watch ps3s sales fall y.o.y soon. Why do they think all of a sudden ps3 sales are gonna go through the roof. IT AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

Big titles are coming up this year for the PS3, PS3 is getting the 80 GB SKU as standard at 399$, Highly recognized has the next generation HD movie player ( Blu Ray ) and the ultimate multimedia console compatible with HDTV's in the living room, no, your logic failed
Let him be, his mad because 360 sells have been going through the basement...Some people will alwaysdeny the truth.

Some thoughts:

Firstly, I think a 360 price drop is forthcoming. The current psuedo-pricedrop on the old 20GB models is simply to clear out stock, and then in october-november there will be another price drop on all models. A 360 arcade for 250$ would really put the pressure on nintendo, and it's only 280$ right now, so it's not a significant loss. Maybe MS is gonna try what they did last year, which is give every different model a different bundle of games if they don't do a price drop: 350$ 60GB Premium with 2 games is also a good deal that will push consoles.

Secondly,I think everyone's touting the ability of Killzone 2 and FFXIII to push consoles. I see this as a problem. I'm not sure if KZ2 is even coming out. When was it first announced? '05? And FF13 doesn't have an announced release date. It might come out next christmas, and I think that's a little early.

The longer these games take to release, the less important they become. Is Joe Schmoe gonna buy a PS3 to play Killzone 2 when he didn't buy one to play MGS4, GTA4, Resistance 1+2, and Bioshock, and didn't buy a 360 for Halo3, GoW1+2, GTA4 and Bioshock?

I'm also gonna make an outrageous statement and claim that FF13 isn't going to push that many consoles. By the time it comes out, the PS3 and the 360 combined will be on the order of 60 million consoles. People who play FF games usually don't just play FF games, and aren't going to wait for 3-4 years of playing no games just to buy a PS3 when FF13 releases. Furthermore, one of the biggest things I learned from the "FF13 on 360 now" incident is the number of people who bought PS3s on the promise of FF13 in the future. All those people aren't going to buy another PS3 when it comes out,.

Wii has more 20 million sellers than PS3 has 5 million sellers.

Acolyte of Disruption