By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Because the create monopolies and crush any new innovations from coming about in the computer industry. The throw more money around then a fat guy in a strip joint.

B

Around the Network
mr.elite said:
Because the create monopolies and crush any new innovations from coming about in the computer industry. The throw more money around then a fat guy in a strip joint.

EA sounds a lot like MS. EA is buying every game studio, IP and developer out these days.

ion-storm said:
rocketpig said:

Yes, the public did, by default. You're talking in abstracts now but in previous comments, you mentioned that we "have a choice" in using Windows or not. Well, I don't. I avoid it most of the time but there are still occasions where I'm forced to use it because it's the default PC platform for 95% of users out there.

PS. Wine doesn't do anything. You still need Windows on your computer to use it. What's the difference? MS gets their money either way. You may as well boot into Windows at that point and take advantage of running the programs natively.

Er what? Are we talking about the same WINE. I mean to quote themselves...

"Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code"

http://www.winehq.org/

Yes indeed. Wine does not require Windows at all, nor does it break any laws because the code is rewritten from scratch. The same goes for Mono, which does .NET on Linux.

The only problem is software patents, which are only in some countries and are bad legal constructs that are unenforcable because they are vague and "only ideas" so wouldn't stand up in any real test. Microsoft refuses to tell us what patents they think free software like Linux infringes, but maintain that they do: it's an empty threat to extort money from companies selling Linux like Novell (which they have).

Rock_on_2008 said:
mr.elite said:

EA sounds a lot like MS. EA is buying every game studio, IP and developer out these days.

I agree. They aren't much better.

B

ion-storm said:

@Kyros - How has competition been killed at all? OSX is going strong and Linux is getting better every day. They haven't been killed in the slightest.

BeOS was the best OS evar. And I'm sure some people feel the same way about OS/2.