By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Purchasing a labtop : question ( more will follow )

So I'm planning on buying a new labtop, I'm a total pc-noob.

Can someone explain : What is the difference between 3GB memory and 3GB DDR2 memory?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

ddr2 is just the type of memory. the latest one is ddr3, however it can be very expensive. for laptops i do not feel that there is a difference.

i am planning on getting a custom laptop, u pay as much as you would pay for someting that has a name brand, except its more powerful.

this is the one i also plan on getting.

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=300

scroll down and pick the parts one by one depending on the price you would like

oh and i forgot to mention im planning to get that laptop for gaming. so there are cheaper laptops if you feel u wont need a very powerful one.

go to the tabs where you see AMD PC, INTEL PC, etc

and select notebooks. i prefer intel because im more familiar with it.

^ looks interesting, but isn't it USA only?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

DDR2 is faster than DDR1 even if they have same GB, get laptop with DDR3 if you can don't get anything less than DDR2.

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Around the Network

not sure what region its in, check where they ship their products.

Getting name brand gets you longer warranty services. That could be important if you can't afford to replace it should it break.

I got a Dell with a 3 year full warranty. For about the same price, but I ended up with a 2.2 Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, an 8600GTX and 160GB hard drive.  His might be more powerful, but if it breaks down in two years he doesn't get a new one like I would.

Worth it.

What are you going to be using the laptop for? If it's not for gaming, I'd say go for one of the UMPCs that are becoming popular. They're a whole lot cheaper, have long battery lives and are really light, all things that you really want in a laptop! :)

The price on that custom laptop isn't bad...though I think I've seen some brand-name options with 8600s and 4 GB of RAM for near $1500 as well...how is their warranty?

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )