By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 “well-positioned for first time,” says analyst

jenny said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 is old now and the only proven IP he mentioned besides that is God of War and Gran Turismo and they are not comming out for a long time . Resistance is about a 2 million seller, nothing massive. Xbox has Gears 2, Fable 2, Halo Wars on the horizon.

I disagree with you because sales of PS3 games prove they're more important than you make them out to be. Resistance: Fall of Man to date has sold 2.95 million copies, which is 350,000 copies more than the original Fable did to date when Fable was released 2 years earlier. I think you're overestimating both the sales boosts for Fable 2 and Gears 2. Gears of War sold alot of games, at 5.28 million, but that's at about 2 years, and Metal Gear Solid 4 has already sold closing on half that in a little over a month.

Around the Network
naraku2099 said:
jenny said:
Metal Gear Solid 4 is old now and the only proven IP he mentioned besides that is God of War and Gran Turismo and they are not comming out for a long time . Resistance is about a 2 million seller, nothing massive. Xbox has Gears 2, Fable 2, Halo Wars on the horizon.

I disagree with you because sales of PS3 games prove they're more important than you make them out to be. Resistance: Fall of Man to date has sold 2.95 million copies, which is 350,000 copies more than the original Fable did to date when Fable was released 2 years earlier. I think you're overestimating both the sales boosts for Fable 2 and Gears 2. Gears of War sold alot of games, at 5.28 million, but that's at about 2 years, and Metal Gear Solid 4 has already sold closing on half that in a little over a month.

And? MGS was pretty front loaded. Getting over 5 Million is only possible if Sony continues to pack it in for quite some time.

Stats87 said:

I'll say it, as somebody will

what about Fable 2, Banjo, IU and Tales of Vesperia?

His potential answer: "I forgot about Fable and the other three don't interest me"

Fable's the only one IMO that has a chance of selling a million units this year. Therefore, the others aren't going to generate much interest.

On the other hand, Motorstorm, Resistance, and LBP have potential to sell 1+million.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Pk9394 said:
This guy is a sony fanbot, he cherry picked all the points that support ps3. MGS4 didn't give the ps3 a long term boost, its is already back at normal sale level. I think we can pretty much concluded that most consumer don't give a crap about Blue Ray until the price of BR movies drop to DVD range.

The ps3 outsold the 360 by 20k in NA last week, and has outsold the 360 consistently since the release of MGS4.  You consider that normal?

Maybe it's a new "normal" for the state of things in NA, but it's certainly not how it was prior to MGS4's launch.

OT: Yeah, the guy screwed up with the bundle.  Removing the game and BC makes it a completely different setup altogether.

Though I'm sure some will be tricked by the "80gb" moniker, like DMJ mentioned.

Just_Ben said:
naraku2099 said:
jenny said:

And? MGS was pretty front loaded. Getting over 5 Million is only possible if Sony continues to pack it in for quite some time.

MGS4 will probably see a boost this holiday as well

Around the Network
jman8 said:
Stats87 said:

I'll say it, as somebody will

what about Fable 2, Banjo, IU and Tales of Vesperia?

His potential answer: "I forgot about Fable and the other three don't interest me"

Fable's the only one IMO that has a chance of selling a million units this year. Therefore, the others aren't going to generate much interest.

On the other hand, Motorstorm, Resistance, and LBP have potential to sell 1+million.

I was about respond, but then I realized you put "this year", in which case I agree 100%.

Although, I could see Banjo hitting 1 Million in 2008, largely due to EU sales. Although, is it getting a EU release this year?

Stats87 said:
Just_Ben said:
naraku2099 said:
jenny said:

MGS4 will probably see a bost this holiday as well

to add to that,

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=843

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6970

a guesstimate on my part puts gears at 2.3 after 5 weeks and mgs at 2.5 after 5 weeks, so they aren't tracking far apart.  so I guess you could say that gears was pretty "front loaded" as well.

cwbys21 said:
Stats87 said:
Just_Ben said:
naraku2099 said:
jenny said:

MGS4 will probably see a bost this holiday as well

to add to that,

http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=843

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=6970

a guesstimate on my part puts gears at 2.3 after 5 weeks and mgs at 2.5 after 5 weeks, so they aren't tracking far apart. so I guess you could say that gears was pretty "front loaded" as well.

Also, Gears of War was released in November which is right at the beginning of the Holidays and Christmas boost.

MGS4 had the benefit of not too much competition during its release, but the Summer is usually slower in sales.

jenny said:

lol i like how you say god of war and gran turismo arent coming out for a long time but for halo wars its "on the horizon. Would you like to bet that both gran turismo and god of war are both out before halo wars? And resistance, lbp, and killzone > gears and fable 2 (i dnn when fable 2 is set to launch so i wont comment on it)

B

he has a point.

i agree with what he says