By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

so you are saying that both the games are ports? Ok

Around the Network
shio said:
FFXIII is being developed "for" PC. Both PS3 and 360 versions will be ports of the PC version.

This guy is correct.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

rofl, i sincerely apologize steven.

Think of this as a sociological study. A study to see what people believe with the given facts at hand.

you are right about that. This wouldn't be a discussion if the 360 version was not announced, however, it is a valid topic as it has to do with game understanding. The 360 version discussions was only the ignition that let me know that there are differing opinions about this subject. A subject which i think is very interesting in its disparity. :P

signing off for the night.
let me know what you all think!
i'll be back tomorrow

so far

both ports=5 not a port=8 unsure=4

isn't this exciting!!! jk :P

I keep saying that both versions will be a port of the PC build, not because I said so, because it makes sense on this way...

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_e30802_home.html

Square Enix Migrates to PC Development Tools—News

Square Enix has gone PC. On the first day of the show, the Japanese game publisher announced that Final Fantasy XIII is coming to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 (in Europe and North America only) and PC. During a press conference following the Microsoft event, Final Fantasy XIII Producer Yoshinori Kitase discussed the new development strategy that Square Enix has taken with its upcoming games.

Aside from the new The Last Remnant game, which is being created for Xbox 360 and PS3 using Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 3 externally, all new internally-developed games from Square Enix, including Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII Versus, and an untitled new massively multiplayer online game, utilize the new PC-based Crystal Tools development environment. These tools allow development teams to create cross-platform games.

"The content will be the same on all platforms," said Kitase. "However, we have yet to determine how many discs will be required for the 360 version. We'll have to consider the differences between formats. Currently the game is being built on PC, where it's actually functional. We're still focusing on making it work on PS3, so it's difficult to know how long the process of taking it to 360 will take."

Thanks to the new PC development platform, Kitase added, "Now that we're developing on a PC base, the pace is going a bit faster," Kitase said. "We haven't introduced new footage of the game, but we should be able to show something new in the near future."

Square Enix showed the beautiful pre-rendered trailer for Final Fantasy XIII at the end of the Microsoft press conference. The publisher has a big event scheduled for Tokyo next month where the first new information will be revealed on all Final Fantasy titles. Previously, the publisher released its online game, Final Fantasy XII, on Xbox 360 and PC.

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
Around the Network
FJ-Warez said:

I keep saying that both versions will be a port of the PC build, not because I said so, because it makes sense on this way...

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_e30802_home.html

Square Enix Migrates to PC Development Tools—News

Square Enix has gone PC. On the first day of the show, the Japanese game publisher announced that Final Fantasy XIII is coming to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 (in Europe and North America only) and PC. During a press conference following the Microsoft event, Final Fantasy XIII Producer Yoshinori Kitase discussed the new development strategy that Square Enix has taken with its upcoming games.

Aside from the new The Last Remnant game, which is being created for Xbox 360 and PS3 using Epic Games’ Unreal Engine 3 externally, all new internally-developed games from Square Enix, including Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy XIII Versus, and an untitled new massively multiplayer online game, utilize the new PC-based Crystal Tools development environment.

Read that last word? Maybe you should look up what it means. And follow that up with

looking up what a devkit is.

I'll give you the scoop! Crystal tools helps programmers make a game faster by allowing

them to code in a language they don't know very well, it knows how to translate code, it

is mapped out more efficiently to help speed things up!

These tools allow development teams to create cross-platform games.

"The content will be the same on all platforms,"

interesting... the same you say...?

said Kitase. "However, we have yet to determine how many discs will be required for the 360 version. We'll have to consider the differences between formats.

Oh, so some things will be changed then? Not content, but maybe image or sound quality?

Currently the game is being built on PC, where it's actually functional.

Oh that must be where crystal tools comes in. They can program in a PC language and then crystal tools will translate it

possibly better than they could do it in the first place! So they must be making sure the game is flawless and up to expectations on the ps3, and then since the other consoles are supposed to have no difference in content, they merely switch it over!

We're still focusing on making it work on PS3, so it's difficult to know how long the process of taking it to 360 will take."

Ohhhh so ps3 version is the priority?

This is much different than saying we are still focusing on making it work on the PC,..... Because a great example of a PC game being ported to a console is BIOSHOCK!! GET IT YET!?!? ff13 not a port!

Thanks to the new PC development platform, Kitase added, "Now that we're developing on a PC base, the pace is going a bit faster,"

Ah yes, because you don't actually have to know ps3 specific programming!

Kitase said. "We haven't introduced new footage of the game, but we should be able to show something new in the near future."

Square Enix showed the beautiful pre-rendered trailer for Final Fantasy XIII at the end of the Microsoft press conference. The publisher has a big event scheduled for Tokyo next month where the first new information will be revealed on all Final Fantasy titles. Previously, the publisher released its online game, Final Fantasy XII, on Xbox 360 and PC.

So, in laymans terms, the game isn't done, but when it is it will have all the features that the ps3 could possibly handle. Sure the game will probably look better on the PC, but other games on the PC will look better on the PC. FTW

that is the difference between programming for a console on a PC and porting a game to a console.

Not only where you spot on in highlighting things that you thought made sense, but you highlighted the part where it said ff12 was an online game for 360 and pC!!!!

developed on a pc for the ps3...hmmm....i would go ps3 not a port and x360 port of original game. so xbox360 version is not a port of a port

thank you for your contribution ils to our ongoing poll.

Ps3 version is not a port, they were originally developing FF13 on the ps3 long before the 360 version was announced, so the 360 version is a port

FF XIII is being developed on the PC. However, this does not have to make it a port per se.

There is such a thing as 'cross-platform development', where you use one environment (typically one better suited to developing on than the target), yet produce native code as output.

(Meaning the PC would directly create a PS3 program instead of making a PC program)

It's of course not certain that this is what Square Eenix is doing, but it is a possibility.

(This only goes for the program itself naturally. I'm 99.9% certain that art and other non-program assets get created on Mac's/PC's anyway for all games on all consoles)