By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 and upscaling.

Our 40 inch LCD TV will display 1080p image, and while I understand that most games display natively around 720p, I've heard that you can force your PS3 to upscale the immage, my question is, is it worth it? Will games still look ok if they're upscaled? Do any games look "funny" should you force the 1080p resolution? I'd love my PS3 to just upscale everything, and if it's only an improvement I'd be cheers and then some :D

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

Some games come out crisper when you set the output resolution to 1080p only.
I feel like GTA benefits from this even though its native resolution is much, much lower.

So to answer your question... I don't Know.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

it would help if we had images man, i have searched the internet and nobody has images to show the difference

go to the display settings, uncheck 720p and 1080i.
remember if the game does not support 1080p it will render in 480p which = garbage.

gta and mgs benefit. at least i think so, you can tell a slight difference. and even if they dont, who cares, let it render in 1080 anyways

If you show a 720p image on your screen the TV is scaling the image already IIRC, so therefore it would be better for image quality to use the most likely better scaler in your PS3 than the TV.

LCD screens are fixed resolution, if it isn't being displayed at 1920/1080 its being scaled, unless you set your tv to show 1:1 images.

Tease.

Around the Network

Hmmmm ok :P So I need to check a few things then. But even if the game doesn't support 1080i or P, it will keep it at 480? You can't get it to just up-scale to fit?

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

DogWeed said:
remember if the game does not support 1080p it will render in 480p which = garbage.

gta and mgs benefit. at least i think so, you can tell a slight difference. and even if they dont, who cares, let it render in 1080 anyways

I am not sure I get this... if the GAME supports 1080p, it will use 1080p every time if you have 1080p selected (regardless of if you have 720p or 1080i selected.)

Selecting those two options will allow games that don't support 1080p to not be rendered in 480p.

Am I missing something?

ChronotriggerJM said:
Hmmmm ok :P So I need to check a few things then. But even if the game doesn't support 1080i or P, it will keep it at 480? You can't get it to just up-scale to fit?

Well, it will always get upscaled, the question is how well ;)

Your TV is 1920x1080 pixels. If the image is taking up the entire screen, something upscaled it.

Personally, I don't think it makes a difference. Make sure you have all the resolution boxes checked, and don't worry about it :)

TheRealMafoo said:
DogWeed said:

I am not sure I get this... if the GAME supports 1080p, it will use 1080p every time if you have 1080p selected (regardless of if you have 720p or 1080i selected.)

Selecting those two options will allow games that don't support 1080p to not be rendered in 480p.

Am I missing something?

i have them all selected, when i put in gta4 its 720p, when i put in mgs4 its 1080p. it depends on the game.

if you want to force it to render in 1080p u have to uncheck the 720p and 1080i settings. if these are unchecked, and you put in a game that supports 720p, and only 720p, ur ps3 will immediatly render it in 480p.

you cannot uncheck 480p, its the standard setting. by unchecking 720p you are telling the ps3 that you do not want it to render in 720p. i know its weird.

take dmc4 for example.

i uncheck 720p and 1080i because i want my gta4 to play in 1080p.
if i simply switch the discs without checking 720p again, dmc will play in 480p.
try it if you have it.