By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How much would it cost to licence the Unreal engine?

I've decided to make a game how much do you think they'll charge for the Unreal engine licence?

Around the Network

i really dont have a clue,

but are you capable of creating a competing game

Back in the day, it was $250,000 for the Unreal Tournament engine ... I wouldn't be surprised if it was up to $500,000 today.

Unreal engine 2 will only run you 350,000K plus 3% royalties. As for UE3....

They only license to professional game developers, as do many people who make middleware engines. And they cost serious money. You'd have to be independently wealthy to just license an engine from Unreal. I'd say at least 6 figures.

You'd be better off licensing the Wii dev kit, but you'd still have to be a professional developer and have about 20Gs to waste.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

Back in the day, it was $250,000 for the Unreal Tournament engine ... I wouldn't be surprised if it was up to $500,000 today.

WHAT?!!! Does anyone have half a million dollars I can borrow?

Leetgeek said:
HappySqurriel said:

WHAT?!!! Does anyone have half a million dollars I can borrow?

Now you know why Epic hates the Wii.

Dolla Dolla said:

They only license to professional game developers, as do many people who make middleware engines. And they cost serious money. You'd have to be independently wealthy to just license an engine from Unreal. I'd say at least 6 figures.

You'd be better off licensing the Wii dev kit, but you'd still have to be a professional developer and have about 20Gs to waste.

Wooooord I would make a SICK Wii game! That's why I would never come out. The big N would have my head. What ever happend with that 360 development thing I heard about, like make your own 360 games. It was a few years back I heard this...

Leetgeek said:
Dolla Dolla said:

Wooooord I would make a SICK Wii game! That's why I would never come out. The big N would have my head. What ever happend with that 360 development thing I heard about, like make your own 360 games. It was a few years back I heard this...

http://creators.xna.com/

Has all you would need to get started i believe.

Leetgeek said:

I've decided to make a game how much do you think they'll charge for the Unreal engine licence?

As others have said, it's several hunred thousand to license the engine for a game and usually they try to force you to make more than one game with that engine. 

Lucky for you, you don't have to license the engine to make a game.  If you want to do something like a mod (which things like Bioshock and Mass Effect essentially are, just on a very large scale) you can do that completely for free as long as you don't try to make money off of it.