By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 1UP preview: The Conduit

^I think Conduit is hyped because the Wiimote is cleary a good control device for first person games ( much better than dual stick, I hate that control scheme).

So some Wii owners wish a fun FPS experience, with great and customizable control and nice graphic and online mode within Wii capability. This game seems to deliver on those points and developer seems to have put a good effort on its creation.

Nothing more , nothing less a good and fun FPS experience with a wiimote.

I mean Wii had a few FPS but Red Steel althought quite fun for a launch game disappointed, Metroid Prime 3 is awesome but a FPA and Medal Honor Heroes 2 althought with great control and 32 players online shared assets with the PSP version.

Also it help that Conduit isn't a WWII game like upcoming Call Duty World at War.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Around the Network

2001-2002 PC games with these kinds of shaders?  I'm calling BS right now.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

amp316 said:
Those are very earl screenshots. I was saying negative things myself when I saw them. The latest video show the game in motion looks much better than any shooter on the Wii. That includes MP3 (yes MP3 is a shooter for people that say its a first person adventure).

No its an action-adventure and even Nintendo and Retro Studios say so.

@Sansui Are you seroius? There are last gen games that look better than most of those. There is really nothing from the games you mentioned that are even close to comparable. The closest things are the textures(which will most likely be the next thing on HVS' mind). I don't see any of those games using techniques like Normal Mapping, and Projected Textures.  How about I compare one of the most Recent Conduit screens that barely show what the game looks like to some of  the best looking games  you mentioned. Btw I've played most of the games you mentioned as well.

Battlefeild 1942

Splinter Cell

The Conduit

Splinter Cell is the closest, and it was a high end game in 2003. Which as I said the conduit looks right now like a low-mid end game pc game of 2004, and could look even better by the time of release. Also as a big pc gamer, I don't know why HD console owners think the graphics of most of their games look good? Oh and please look at the videos rather than the screens of the conduit. It will give you a better perspective on what the graphics look like. Also seeing as somebody who has played the game(DKII) said that it looks much better on screen than in the pics, or videos, I would think the game looks much better than the screens or even the videos show.

sc94597 said:

@Sansui Are you seroius? There are last gen games that look better than most of those. There is really nothing from the games you mentioned that are even close to comparable. The closest things are the textures(which will most likely be the next thing on HVS' mind). I don't see any of those games using techniques like Normal Mapping, and Projected Textures.  How about I compare one of the most Recent Conduit screens that barely show what the game looks like to some of  the best looking games  you mentioned. Btw I've played most of the games you mentioned as well.

Splinter Cell is the closest, and it was a high end game in 2003. Which as I said the conduit looks right now like a low-mid end game pc game of 2004, and could look even better by the time of release. Also as a big pc gamer, I don't know why HD console owners think the graphics of most of their games look good? Oh and please look at the videos rather than the screens of the conduit. It will give you a better perspective on what the graphics look like. Also seeing as somebody who has played the game(DKII) said that it looks much better on screen than in the pics, or videos, I would think the game looks much better than the screens or even the videos show. 

Ok - you cherry picked a few screenshots, ignoring the trailers I provided of those games in motion - which certainly look better than the cherrypicked screens you selected.  I was comparing the videos of those games to the video of the conduit, that's why I linked videos instead of screenshots.

I already stated the wii obviously has some improved lighting and shader effects, but they do NOT dwarf the games I posted by any stretch of the imagination.  Normal mapping is not some holy grail - it adds another layer of detail but does not blow those old games out of the water.  In fact the character and enemy models in a lot of those games, as well as the environments, look a lot more impressive than the Conduit.  The *only* thing the conduit has on them are modern shaders, normal (or is it using parallax mapping) mapping and lighting effects.

And like I said, even if you consider it to be on par with 2003/2004, why would that be hype worthy?

Sansui, are you comparing finished products to a title with 9 months remaining that's currently using place holder textures in the environments?

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Sansui, are you comparing finished products to a title with 9 months remaining that's currently using place holder textures in the environments?

Most of the trailers I picked were pre-release or E3 trailers for their time... just like the Conduit trailer.  Some of them are finished product trailers tho.

So half and half :P

MontanaHatchet said:

Holy crap, are those really the graphics? Why are people focusing on the graphics? They're not impressive whatsoever! Okay, perhaps my standards have been raised since...you know...I've been playing on consoles where a lot of the focus is on graphics. However, it does look nice stacked up against other games on the Wii which put gameplay over graphics...

It also sounds incredibly cliche and uninspiring too. Hopefully the controls make up for this because everything else about the game looks to be very uninspired.

Haha line of the topic.  Yes because the shooter genre over the last few years has been very inspiring.  I mean look at the inspiration you get out of Killzone 1 and 2, Resistance 1 and 2, Gears of War series, ect.  I mean they are so inspiring.

Oh cut the bullshit people.  The shooter genre has been plain, unmoving, and stereotypical for over 4 yrs now.  But ya don't ever complain about games like Killzone 2 being uninspiring.  But the first Wii sci fi shooter that hits the stereotype is of course a godsend.  Yes The Conduit looks stereotypical in most ways, but so does Killzone, Resistance, and Gears of War.  If you want inspiration in a shooter, you ain't going to get it outside of Metroid and Half Life. 

Anyways graphics don't look like the one at the E3 08 thing.  I mean the video looked a lot better than that.  But the driving point of this game for me is awesome controls and the online capabilities.  Good graphics would only be a bonus.  I just want it to be polished.

Oh god, this thread is still active? :s

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Why are people even debating the graphics? Clearly they will not compare to HD consoles or PC. How could they? Wii simply hasn't got that kind of horsepower.

Do they look good? Sure. They look great - for the Wii. And that's what has the Wii fanboys excited. A (relatively) great looking FPS for the Wii - finally.

If the Conduit was on PS3/360 it'd be mediocore sure. But Wii has vertually nothing. Heck, I'd be thrilled to have Haze on Wii that's how sad the selection is...

I'm looking forward to the Conduit, but I'd be just as happy with UT2004 or Orange Box ported to Wii (if Orange Box runs on my laptop, it sure as hell can on Wii). I hate the dual analog controls...

Sansui said:
sc94597 said:

Ok - you cherry picked a few screenshots, ignoring the trailers I provided of those games in motion - which certainly look better than the cherrypicked screens you selected.  I was comparing the videos of those games to the video of the conduit, that's why I linked videos instead of screenshots.

I already stated the wii obviously has some improved lighting and shader effects, but they do NOT dwarf the games I posted by any stretch of the imagination.  Normal mapping is not some holy grail - it adds another layer of detail but does not blow those old games out of the water.  In fact the character and enemy models in a lot of those games, as well as the environments, look a lot more impressive than the Conduit.  The *only* thing the conduit has on them are modern shaders, normal (or is it using parallax mapping) mapping and lighting effects.

And like I said, even if you consider it to be on par with 2003/2004, why would that be hype worthy?

I got the screens from ign, and looked for the best possible screens I could find for all three games. ALl the rest of the screens look equivalent or worse. Its not just normal mapping. There is normal mapping, better shaders, projected textures, better reflection mapping as you could see in the scope and water of the conduit, much better lighting, by the looks of it, more polygons, better particle effects and the textures(which as viper has mentioned as placeholder textures) look comparable to the other games. The game still has 9 months of development. Actually here is all of the things that HVS describes in the end of their tech demo of the Quantum 3 engine.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyPnRyz6-6s&feature=related

Lighting and Shadows

Global Illumination

Per-vertex light mapping

Projected shadow Casting

Self Shadowing

Soft Shadows

Light/ Dark Maps

Dinamic omni,directional, point, spot, and projected texture lights

Rendering

Fixed Function or Shader Driven processing

Render to Texture

True Type Font Support

Native Flash Content Rendering

Bump, Environment, Detail Mapping

Multi pass, Multi-Texture

Deffered Rendering

Alpha Blending, Masking and Chromakey

Decal System

Scene Management

Cell & Portal Engine

LOD

Seamless streaming Environments

Full Collision Detection and Ray Casting

Auto Generated, Hierarchical collision volumes

Real-time Reflection generator

Picking SUpport

Animation

Skeletal Keyframe Based animation

Morphing

Translation/ rotation extraction

Scriptable, multi-channel blending

Variable Bone Weight Skinning

Facial Animation

Special Effects

Screen Aligned Billboards

Advanced sprite based particle system

Volume Particles(atoms)

Animated Skydomes

Interactive Water

Linear, Height and Volumetric Fog

Scriptable Materials

Texture Animation

Alpha Masking

Native Flash content rendering

Projected Textures

Motion BLur, Heat Distortion

Bloom

Full Screen Post-processing

Also they mention that this is only a few of many things the engine is capable of. I doubt the end product would look like a 2002/2003 game. Right now other than the textures it doesn't look like one.