By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSN Video Store = Sucks having a 40 gig

Hmm, sony have given us Europeans til next year to somehow click " buy" and get themselves a new HDD, seriously, why the long wait?...ah well, I'ma buy myself a 320gb toshiba tomorrow most likely, might as well start early!

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Around the Network
SHMUPGurus said:

Just wondering, after you buy movies/shows, can you always redownload them after you delete them? Because if you can, you could always clean the fridge (!) and download other ones.

Like he said...I think it might be glitched because when I go to view my downloads it says "No content was found" when I downloaded like 8 episodes of Desert Punk yesterday.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

Blaiyan said:
You just need a bigger hard drive. Maybe a 2T external. When play tv hits i'll probably be looking to increase ps3 hd and get an external. I was surprised that you could record rented movies from your ps3 to vhs or dvd. Quality is nowhere near as good though.

I have a 750 gigabyte external, but thnxs to cheap DRM policies of today, it only lets me transfer to a PSP, only . i hate that

Or you can just take any external USB HDD and plug it into the PS3.

That's the only thing keeping me from upgrading my 60GB to a 250GB or higher. Convenience of keeping my files other than game installs/saves on the internal drive would be the only real reason.

But an external drive allows you to easily and quickly share access all your media files with your laptop and desk top. A networked RAID array would be better obviously, but an external 500GB USB drive only costs about $100.

Guess that doesn't work for DRM purchases. lol
Doesn't work with iTunes files either.

Around the Network

Oh man Lupus your getting it too? Ima read up sonys section 9 of there ToS, guess it's not the same for games btw it seems almost no one read my post through completely. " Buy an external HDD and you can transfer all media files " I have a 750 gigabytes external, and no purchased downloads don't show up in download list after a day, no you cant back them up through external, only psp, which i don't own

This is the exact same problem owners of the 20GB 360 Pro have. Except with half the space.

If you want to be a heavy video store user, looks like it's time to upgrade your internal HDD to something a lot beefier (250-320GB should do it).

My 60GB is at max capacity after downloading all the E3 videos (which can be transferred/backed up to external drive), so really, I'm in the same boat. I don't think an 80GB drive would be much better either.

But, thanks to the PS3's open design, any 2.5" HDD will do, which is good since I'd never buy a 120GB proprietary drive for $180.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152111

320GB 2.5" internal Samsung drive, 5400RPM, 8MB cache, SATA: $99

Can't you just use the back up thing? You can go to system settings to back up your data onto the external hard drive. If I remember correctly there were certain PS2 files that you couldn't copy, but I was able to back up my data and those PS2 files that couldn't be copied were there.

PSN: Lone_Canis_Lupus

It's a shame you can't buy 250 GB PS3 Hard drives on the cheap... you can only buy proprietary ones...

Oh wait, that's the 360. Just go out and buy a hard drive!

320GB for $99 on NewEgg. What more do you want? Free?

Personally, I'll opt for a 7200RPM drive with a 4ms access time, which means less space for more money, but faster access is worth the premium, even if it is only measured in seconds.

The backup feature is only for restoring your entire HDD image; it doesn't allow you access to individual files. I keep a back up of my PS3 drive on external HDD and it's just an archive: the files inside not user accessible.

The XMB directory reads: PS3 -> EXPORT -> BACKUP -> 200806282024
When viewed with a Mac, the archive files within folder 200806282024 show up as... archive files (archive_00.dat)