By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Are sale sites lying about WII sales?

This is absolutely not a "anti VGcharts" or "anti WII" (take a close look at my username ey) thread, but these comments I'm very much confused about.

US Nintendo sales not reaching potential

Nintendo's Japanese headquarters shed a little more light on why part of Nintendo of America will be moving from Seattle.

June 22, 2007 - Nintendo spokesman Ken Toyoda has confirmed to Bloomberg that 80 of the company's North American marketing and public relations employees will be relocated to New York and Jose by the end of September, bringing the company closer to major sales and research markets.

One third of employees will be make the move to New York, and the rest will be stationed in San Jose, said Toyoda. He added that sales in the US have not reached their potential, because in the past, Nintendo's sold about twice as many consoles in North America than in Japan or Europe. He also said about 2.37 million Wii consoles have been sold in the US, 2 million in Japan and 1.47 million in other regions, including Europe.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

I'm just wondering, if you sum the figures up you won't make it till 6 million worldwide, then somebody can tell me why sale sites like VGcharts for example states a sale figure over 8 million worldwide, while this man claims the WII has sold much less, especially in the US? It's a difference of 1 million in the US only and over 2 million worldwide! Or is this guy just making up some lame excuse to sell even more?

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

Around the Network

those numbers is from the last finanscial report in april (or was it marsch?)

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

This is on wikipedia

RegionUnits soldFirst available
North America3,121,280+ as of June 2, 2007[24][25][26]November 19, 2006
Japan2,735,003 as of June 17, 2007[27]December 2, 2006
Europe2,000,000+ as of April 13, 2007[28]December 8, 2006
Australia / New Zealand100,000 / 6,000 as of June 21, 2007[29][30]December 7, 2006
Total7.96 million+ 

But look at the dates. VGchartz does it week by week. I trust VG's numbers.

Then why is the news from today? Or hasn't Toyoda checked the sale figures lately?

@Alcarist, thanks ;) Another confirmation about how different the figures are comparing to Toyoda's statement.

My guess is that they're just being lazy and reported old news as new, probably by mistake.

Around the Network

Really big mistake if you ask me, especially if you're planning to relocate a bunch of Nintendo employees to a different area, thinking the sales figures are lower then they really are :D

Why show old numbers. Because the online news on bloomberg often coincides with the mailing to subscribers of print news. These numbers also come pretty close to the Fiscal 06/07 numbers, which are more important to investors than weeklies.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

WiiGirl76 said:
Really big mistake if you ask me, especially if you're planning to relocate a bunch of Nintendo employees to a different area, thinking the sales figures are lower then they really are :D

have to agree with you

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"

It's probably the fiscal numbers, which are the only official numbers a lot of major sites will pay attention to.

If you're a respected news organization you probably will not site a website (vgcharts) or market analysts (NPD, Media Create) if there are more respectable numbers available. There is no dispute on the number of systems sold on Nintendo's last financial statement which was released on March 31st.

At the end of June Nintendo's Q1 will be done and they may make an announcement at E3 of sales to that date, and we will certaily see an update at the end of September.