By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 b/c what now.....

As far as i understood the announcement they are phasing out all current models and the plans only include one model from now on the 80gb without bc (not sure if it will also use the shrinked rsx chip already but i guess its likely).
Personally i do expect that they come with a solution for BC again in the nearer future, but the current system is probably costing them too much thats why they removed BC from the 40gb model.
To me it would make most sense if they they are already working on a pure Software emulation for BC. The cell is more than powerfull enough to do full ps2 emu in software, and it would make it possible to sell PS2 games online to all current ps3 owners. the disadvantage of pure software emulation is that it usually starts with very basic compatibility first and then requires a lot tuning work to run with more and more games (like you can see on all versions of software emulators). If they are really working on that, then i guess we will see an announcement as soon as they have reached good enough compatibility to be ready to release it not too long after (they did not announce any of the new firmware features more than a few weeks before they released it).

Around the Network

So basically if I dont get the MGS bundle I'll just have to wait until Sony announces b/c again because all their new shipmments will come with no b/c.

Sony may never announce BC again, if you want a BC PS3 get the MGS4 bundle whilst you can.

Just get ps2 for 50$ from ebay and the problem is solved.