By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Chairman: "We're making a comeback already"

No one can deny that the PS3 has done poorly lately, but no one can deny either that the PS3 doesn't have an impressive, and in some ways the most impressive, lineup for the holidays. Wii's isn't bad, but revolves too much around just 3 titles, as opposed to Sony's which revolves around 8-15 (including some cross-platforms). The 360 has the 2nd best lineup IMO.

I think what Stringer means is they aren't going to let the PS3 go down the toilet since it has helped them so much with their overall strategy (Blu-Ray, owning the living room, etc.) that they are going to pull out the punches soon and change quite a few people's minds with what the PS3 is actually capable of as well as opening up the market to more people by cutting the price.

I know the games are coming...eventually (they have solid release dates at least by now for many)...I just hope they start having updates to the PSN that are on par with Live, i.e. more demos, less delays, and more PS titles to compete with the VC.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
We'll see. Don't forget that $2 billion was estimated to be only $700 million in April of 2006. But Sony kept upping that number once the quarterly reports came out and they couldn't hide the losses.

Yeah but their company has been making profit for the past few years, regardless of their gaming division losses. The bottom line is really all that matters. If the PS3 would ever drag the entire company into the red, it might be a big deal, but I don't see that ever happening, as they put most of their losses into the 2006 fiscal year.

The Blu-Ray victory alone is enough to merit the gaming division's loss. I think most people in Sony know that. Let's just hope they take advantage of that space.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

z64dan said:
FishyJoe said:
We'll see. Don't forget that $2 billion was estimated to be only $700 million in April of 2006. But Sony kept upping that number once the quarterly reports came out and they couldn't hide the losses.

Yeah but their company has been making profit for the past few years, regardless of their gaming division losses. The bottom line is really all that matters. If the PS3 would ever drag the entire company into the red, it might be a big deal, but I don't see that ever happening, as they put most of their losses into the 2006 fiscal year.

That's right.

I'm no fan of Sony - but I was impressed that they could actually turn *any* sort of profit while developing the PS3. Now that its out, the costs are bound to drop - which will boost the bottom line of the entire company.

The question is whether the flat screen (and other) divisions can continue to turn out a significant profit - with more competition in the sector & falling prices.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

akuma587 said:
The Blu-Ray victory alone is enough to merit the gaming division's loss. I think most people in Sony know that. Let's just hope they take advantage of that space.

I hear a lot of people say this, but I have yet to see a solid financial analysis that proves the case.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:

Sales of the PS3 have been dropping each month and Stringer says they're making a comeback?

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26009

Sony Chairman Howard Stringer has told investors at the annual shareholders meeting that the company is on the road to recovery and that the PlayStation 3 is vital for a successful future.

Stringer assured the audience of over 7,000 shareholders that PlayStation 3 manufacturing problems were now behind the group, and the console is a "key driver" for future growth, according an Associated Press report.

How is that negative? Legend is just posting a story about Sony's executives comments at a shareholders meeting.  His question is valid, how is there a comeback as sales drop.  The rest of the thread answers that SOny as a whole is making a comeback despite poor performance of the PS3.

(Now, I will make sarcastic negative comments. )

Don't worry sony fans, the sales up until Sony says that the next generation actually starts don't actually count.  I think they shuold release a PS3 with a 2TB flash harddrive and 1350p output, at $1800, then the sales will sky rocket.  That's a great deal, people would be stupid for not buying it.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

I actually hope the PS3 picks up popularity. I am not sure if I will buy one, but three systems splitting the market would be very good competition. With Sony and Microsoft paying millions for exclusives, some of that is bound to go back into development.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.