By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - the Blu-ray thread, will go on untill hddvds death.

Yeah, I just got Order of The Phoenix on BD, and wow, it looks amazing. Bourne Ultimatum is coming in the mail from NetFlix on HDDVD tomorrow, can't wait, the movie was awesome when I saw it in theaters over summer.

I got a HDDVD player when they first came out, and then I bought a PS3 at the beginning of this year, so all this talk of format wars bores me to death, I mean why do people REALLY care so much...what's the point? Anyways, it's nice to be able to buy any of the brand new exclusives I want, no matter which platform they are for. If I didn't buy the HDDVD first, and just had a PS3, they are so cheap right now ($200), that I wouldn't be able to pass that up anyways, just because HDDVD has managed to snag way too many movies I like.

Currently I have completely stopped buying regular DVDs, and prefer to rent a movie instead of adding to my collection. The difference is so clear for me, it is really hard to go back, and I don't want to have to repurchase one of my favorite movies when it eventually comes out on the hi-def formats.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

Around the Network

This is the first time I've looked into this thread and the OP is banned. So I'm just wondering, what would you consider to be HD-DVDs death? I mean how will the occasion be marked?

makingmusic476 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
makingmusic476 said:
David Vaughn has made his weekly "prediction"...

61:39 BD:HD

Ouch.

This week the major releases were Harry Potter 1-5 on both formats and the Bourne Ultimatum on HD DVD. Both sides had BOGOs at Best Buy but HD DVD had an extra BOGO at Amazon. The Bourne Ultimatum was the top seller on either format for the week.

This was HD DVD's week to win it, but they failed. Horribly.

Just one exclusive, and almost everything else for both sides, how was this supposed to be HD-DVD's week?

And how is 61% horrible, when it's a better margin than last week?

All things were equal across the two formats except HD DVD had one of the biggest exclusives of the year. If Blu-Ray needed a BOGO to hold the Transformers week, then shouldn't a BOGO on both sides have led to a win for HD DVD this week?

BOGO's are just one store. Those don't have the effect that you think. Plus you forget that blu-ray has more movies. Simple math says more would be bought, if the sales are otherwise equal. 

On a week of record breaking HDM sales, this really looks bad for HD DVD.

Where's the report it was record breaking? I don't see one on the HD blogs yet.

All these cheap hardware sales were supposed to make up lost ground for HD, but there have been more 70+ week wins for Blu-Ray recently than there have been since March.

If it was HD-DVD, I would point out the same thing. This is not the mainstream market where blu-ray is leading. It's not that bad, since HD-DVD is selling regardless. If blu-ray outsells in the mainsteam, THAT would be bad for HD-DVD.

61% is horrible, considering the fact that last week HD was going up against PotC3. These week, things were the complete opposite, and HD DVD gained back very little ground at all.

All you're looking at is the percentage. I don't think the HD-DVD companies, or even the blu-ray companies, are being that narrow-minded.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

The Lord of the Rings has been announced for Blu-Ray in Europe, and since it's a catalog title it should not be region coded (as the BD spec only requires titles less than a year old to be region coded, for international purposes, i.e. Hairspray from New Line).

From what I can tell, it's the theatrical releases, so I will be passing them up. Not to mention, they'll probably be announced for the US at CES (along with news of Warner and New Line going Blu, sorry HD DVD fans, but no LotR for you!).

makingmusic476 said:
The Lord of the Rings has been announced for Blu-Ray in Europe, and since it's a catalog title it should not be region coded (as the BD spec only requires titles less than a year old to be region coded, for international purposes, i.e. Hairspray from New Line).

From what I can tell, it's the theatrical releases, so I will be passing them up. Not to mention, they'll probably be announced for the US at CES (along with news of Warner and New Line going Blu, sorry HD DVD fans, but no LotR for you!).

You have been seeming like a blu-ray fanboy for a while, or at least an HD-DVD hater, in the sense that you keep trying to spin things against HD-DVD. This is one, since a lot of us know that movies have different distributors worldwide, so movies are not going to have the same format in every region.

Now it may turn out that the films may be a blu-ray exclusive here, but this is not proof of that.

And before you call me an HD-DVD fanboy, note that I'm basing this on international releases on different formats being twisted by both sides as somehow being bad for the other format. It's simply a state of international economics.

Trust me, the few times I see people blatantly twisting facts against blu-ray, I call on them for it. And I mean twisting facts, not just typing unfounded predictions. Those happen with both sides a lot. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
makingmusic476 said:

You have been seeming like a blu-ray fanboy for a while, or at least an HD-DVD hater, in the sense that you keep trying to spin things against HD-DVD. This is one, since a lot of us know that movies have different distributors worldwide, so movies are not going to have the same format in every region.

Now it may turn out that the films may be a blu-ray exclusive here, but this is not proof of that.

And before you call me an HD-DVD fanboy, note that I'm basing this on international releases on different formats being twisted by both sides as somehow being bad for the other format. It's simply a state of international economics.

Trust me, the few times I see people blatantly twisting facts against blu-ray, I call on them for it. And I mean twisting facts, not just typing unfounded predictions. Those happen with both sides a lot.

I'm perfectly aware movies have different distributors worldwide. The Warner/New Line going Blu prediciton is entirely unrelated to the release of LotR. I'm basing that upon what certain insiders from the Blu-Ray.com forums have been saying over the past few weeks.

I wasn't saying that this announcement signifies Warner/NL going Blu, but that it will be released only on Blu in the US because they are going Blu. Both of which should be announced at CES if things go according to plan.

Btw do u people think that Warner going of exclusive to one side or the other is going to make much of a difference in the high def format war.? i mean will it eliminate the other player or both the parties will like to continue waging this war...

With each passing day i feel that the chances of death of one format is becoming more and more difficuilt as there is already so much hardware has gone into the hands of the customer... especially this blu-ray... almost 9 million PS3 already have it.... also i think around a million HD DVD hardware is in the hand of the customer.. So do u think one format can still be eliminated.?

makingmusic476 said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
makingmusic476 said:

I'm perfectly aware movies have different distributors worldwide. The Warner/New Line going Blu prediciton is entirely unrelated to the release of LotR. I'm basing that upon what certain insiders from the Blu-Ray.com forums have been saying over the past few weeks.

I wasn't saying that this announcement signifies Warner/NL going Blu, but that it will be released only on Blu in the US because they are going Blu. Both of which should be announced at CES if things go according to plan.

According to rumor, not plan. If you think this is a plan, you just may be biased. 

Also, you are still ignoring the fact that releases from studios, that are already exclusive, are on other formats in other regions, so you are basically lying that this is proof Warner or New Line is going exclusive to either side.

Well, I'll buy whatever player that plays my old DVD collection. Besides that, I couldn't care less.