By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - I believe that one of the "HD twins" are going to crash and burn in sales

This is just a theory, but I believe that one of the "HD twins" are going to die off very quickly. Both consoles are redundant and are being marketed to the same shrinking audience, so a crash in one of them is coming. The Wii has locked up the "expanded audience" so tightly that Microsoft and Sony can't touch them, and the Nintendo core audience for the most part is disinterested in the HD twins.

I predict that the HD twin that will die will be the Xbox 360 mainly because of RROD. Sony at least has a huge brand awareness remaining due to their domination of the previous generation, so the possibility that the PS3 will die off quickly is unlikely IMO (but it can happen). Only time will tell if I'm right.

Around the Network

I don't think it will be that soon, but I agree that we should see some slowing down for them - there is no way the market will go on for another 5 years of 360/PS3 sales as they are.

If I had to put my money on one it would be the 360, because PS3 has classic IP's it can rely on to bring more life from the PS2 audience, while MS may run out of luck with their new IP's.

Your threads always make me give out a big *Sigh*.

Both these consoles are so redundant that the [fans of the Xbox 360 and the PS3] refer to them as if they are one console. For example, how often have you heard people referring to sales as if the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are one console, like the PS3/360 will outsell the Wii. The reality of the market is that redundancy among [entertainment] products usually leads to one of them dying off.

Aj_habfan said:
I don't think it will be that soon, but I agree that we should see some slowing down for them - there is no way the market will go on for another 5 years of 360/PS3 sales as they are.

If I had to put my money on one it would be the 360, because PS3 has classic IP's it can rely on to bring more life from the PS2 audience, while MS may run out of luck with their new IP's.

I think MS is going to attempt to steal some Wii audience, in an attempt to stay competitive with the PS3 in sales. I shall dub it Marshall's Folly and the internet shall break with the laughter of a million Nintendo fanboys.

That's not to say that the PS3 is gonna be a record-breaking console either, quite to the contrary, depending on the persepctive from which you view it, the PS3 is a much larger failure than any console to come before it, barring the obvious ones like the Virtual Boy. Under "Drop the ball" in the dictionary, there should be a large picture of the PS3, with a caption of a a Harrison quote, "The touch screen is a gimmick."

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:

Stop it. You're one line snide responses are annoying and immature.

Deeds said:

Both these consoles are so redundant that the [fans of the Xbox 360 and the PS3] refer to them as if they are one console. For example, how often have you heard people referring to sales as if the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are one console, like the PS3/360 will outsell the Wii. The reality of the market is that redundancy among [entertainment] products usually leads to one of them dying off.

That's not true. Just look at PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, or Coke and Pepsi. What you say is obviously an assumption based on what appears to be a maximum of 10 seconds worth of thought.

Show me one market where redundancy kills competition and I'll show you an illegal monopoly.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Aj_habfan said:

I think MS is going to attempt to steal some Wii audience, in an attempt to stay competitive with the PS3 in sales. I shall dub it Marshall's Folly and the internet shall break with the laughter of a million Nintendo fanboys.

That's not to say that the PS3 is gonna be a record-breaking console either, quite to the contrary, depending on the persepctive from which you view it, the PS3 is a much larger failure than any console to come before it, barring the obvious ones like the Virtual Boy. Under "Drop the ball" in the dictionary, there should be a large picture of the PS3, with a caption of a a Harrison quote, "The touch screen is a gimmick."

I didn't say that the PS3 is going to break any records and I agree that it is a big failure compared to where Sony was last generation, BUT, I dont think that the PS3 is going to collapse in sales anytime soon.

Deeds said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Stop it. You're one line snide responses are annoying and immature.

No, you stop it!!!!!!

But to answer your question, 360 sales are going to shrivel up as people who bought the Xbox will have bought the 360 and a lot of people interested in an HD console will go to the PS3. I don't think either console is going to "crash and burn," but 360 sales are definitely going to dip in the upcoming years (and they're already pretty bad).

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Deeds said:

That's not true. Just look at PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, or Coke and Pepsi. What you say is obviously an assumption based on what appears to be a maximum of 10 seconds worth of thought.

Show me one market where redundancy kills competition and I'll show you an illegal monopoly.

The reality of the market is that redundancy among [[[[[entertainment]]]]]] products usually leads to one of them dying off. Gamecube and Xbox were marketed differently so they weren't seen as redundant while the PS2 locked up the mass market last generation. The PS3 and the Xbox 360 are seen as the same, even among their fans.