By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Konami sues Viacom-Harmonix

For Rock Band:

July 10 (Bloomberg) -- Konami Corp., the Japanese creator of the ``Dance Dance Revolution'' music video game, sued Viacom Inc.'s Harmonix studio, claiming its ``Rock Band'' game violates patents.

The Konami patents, issued in 2002 and 2003, relate to simulated musical instruments, a music-game system and a ``musical-rhythm matching game.'' Konami also makes the ``Karaoke Revolution'' music game with microphones, as well as the ``Metal Gear Solid'' espionage game.

``Rock Band,'' the game in which players emulate rock and rollers with toy instruments, drove a 16 percent increase in first-quarter revenue at New York-based Viacom's media networks business. Konami's Digital Entertainment unit said in May it plans to begin selling its own rock band game, called ``Rock Revolution,'' later this year.

Konami is demanding cash compensation, plus an order that would block Viacom and Harmonix from using the inventions, according to the complaint, filed yesterday in federal court in Marshall, Texas. The suit names Harmonix Music Systems, Viacom, and Viacom's MTV Networks Co., which owns Harmonix.

Viacom spokeswoman Kelly McAndrew said the company hasn't received the complaint, so had no immediate comment.

Konami American depositary receipts, each representing one ordinary share, fell $1.67, or 5.2 percent, to $30.15 at 4:02 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading. They have risen 26 percent in the past year. Viacom's Class B shares rose 22 cents to $28.12 and have dropped 32 percent in the past year.

The case is Konami Digital Entertainment Co. v. Harmonix Music Systems Inc., 08cv286, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas (Marshall).

C'mon Konami...Who's Next? Activision?

Around the Network

Uh-oh, the Rhythm War just started heating up.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Rock Band dead confirmed? :O

||Tag courtesy of fkusumot - "Heaven is like a Nintendo theme park!"||Join the Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 American League HERE!||

all we need is ubi to give us a rhythm game now...

Petz: LIVE!!!

:P

Proud member of the Fierce Fox Force.

"I strike spurs onto my Wii controller. And against Sony and MS I fling myself,
unvanquished and unyielding. 'O Wii!!!"

-The Nintendian Philosophy

famousringo said:
Uh-oh, the Rhythm War just started heating up.

Yeah I really have  the feeling we're heading there...

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Around the Network
aiden.cronus said:
all we need is ubi to give us a rhythm game now...

Petz: LIVE!!!

:P

What does Ubisoft have to do with anything?  I mean, I hate them as much as the next guy, but they have nothing to do with this...

On Topic:

Oh, Marshall, Texas.  When will you realize the rest of the country looks on you as a joke? (or maybe as a festering wound, depending on how damaging you consider them...)

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

good luck konami... you'll need lots of money to beat harmonix who is owned by MTV.

Boo-urns. I'm not interested in Rock Revolution at all so it would suck if they actually somehow stopped RB and GH from making future versions.

Its about time. Bemani/Konami were the first company to introduce those games Konami is very strict about this genre

Konami is a douche! Just admit that Harmonix is better at music so we can all get this issue away