By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Siren: Blood Curse review from Eurogamer - Capters 1-3

9/10

Some highlights from the review:

Sometimes, however, combat won't be an option at all. In the first mission of the game, you need to run and hide from an armed police officer with a gun and an unfortunate case of zombie eyes. The fact that you don't get a useful weapon until the very end of the mission makes the tension all the better. The game returns to that theme in the last mission of the three-chapter chunk we're reviewing today, where you play a defenceless young girl who can't risk being spotted by any of the undead nurses who infest the ruined hospital in which she finds herself. Even knocking over something in the dark and making a noise can have them screeching and converging on you, resulting in heart palpitations as you hunt for somewhere to hide. It's superb, creepy, unbearably tense stuff.

Graphically, the game is nothing short of stunning. Eschewing the clean, crisp look that many other HD games - including present PS3 poster boy MGS4 - have opted for, Blood Curse demonstrates ably how to achieve the gritty, murky look that works so well for survival-horror. The ruined village and its forested surrounds are full of dark, moving shadows, every texture is corroded and rough, and the air is full of swirling mists which add flavour to the environment, rather than obscuring your vision. Indoors, the use of light and shadow is brilliant - on occasion, your first heart-stopping indicator of an impending threat will be a shadow in the light from a doorway.

However, with the chapters being bundled in threes for a fiver each, the value is undeniable - even taking into account the brevity of the first instalment. The Siren team is, arguably, the most talented team working on this style of survival-horror at the moment, and Siren: Blood Curse is the best thing to appear in the genre in a very long time.

So even if Americanised remakes leave you screaming and running for the hills (for all the wrong reasons), Blood Curse comes with a strong recommendation. For a fiver, we're struggling to think of any reason why you shouldn't try out the first three chapters of what will, at this rate, turn out to be a superb game overall. Look out for our full review of the 20-quid whole closer to its 24th July release.

The director of the Siren series was the lead director of the original Silent Hill, for those who'd like to know.

I'm rather disappointed that the game is being released in episodes via the PSN, though I've heard there may be a Blu-Ray compilation when the game is fully completed. That's the only way I'll buy it, tbh.

Around the Network

wow that's high score from Eurogamer. but I honestly can not accept the comment about graphics being better than MGS4.I haven't played it but from the screens it's a good looking game but not in MGS4 league. apparently the game is really scary.

Meh, downloading. I'll wait for a Blu-ray version, then I might buy it.

SpartanFX said:
wow that's high score from Eurogamer. but I honestly can not accept the comment about graphics being better than MGS4.I haven't played it but from the screens it's a good looking game but not in MGS4 league. apparently the game is really scary.

It doesn't say the graphics are better than MGS4, but in a similar league, maybe in motion with all thats going on and the creepiness and lighting and shadows...maybe it just works.

I hope they release this as a Blu-Ray after all the chapters are released.  It's a great idea releasing it in 3 chapter blocks, but I just want a disc knowing that I have it on that, rather than on a hard disk and thats all.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Siren > MGS4?

Around the Network

Score of 9 for this game compared to 8 to MGS4 and on top of that graphics are almost as good as MGS4? Eurogamer is becoming pretty pathetic in reviews and overall. Only Killzone 2 will top MGS4 in near future in terms of graphics.

Good review, it's a title that I've been interested in for a while.
You mentioned the blu-ray release. It's something that I also would like, but from what I can gather, at the moment the only region recieving a Blu-Ray release is Japan. I don't know if that is subject to change.

EDIT: As confirmed by usyk you can import from Japan and play the game in english. Here's an article on Kotaku about it http://kotaku.com/5020139/how-to-get-siren-blood-curse-on-blu+ray

I think I will import when I get a PS3.

You can buy Siren asian version with english language here:
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-ze-49-en-70-2q0u.html

wow very nice review

hmm.. hopefully I have enough money/time for all the games I want to buy ("PS3 has no games" my ass .. I can't even play all those which appeal to me and that's quite a limitation )

hmm.... no crappy Alone in the Dark, but we get Siren. Not a bad trade. ;)

Although I rather wait for IGN/Gamespot's review.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)