By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Laying some crap to rest.

First piece of trash to debunk.

"wii is only as strong as the Xbox"

Gamecube was equivilent to the Xbox, Some devs say better Some say worse

The Wii is approximately 1.5 to 2.5 times as strong as the Gamecube - Hence the Wii is Stronger than the Xbox.

Second "Wii's SD Graphics will be irrelevant in 2 years"

Lets go back to the first point, where detracters say the Wii is only as strong as the Xbox.

Lets assume they are correct.

The XBOX, was capable of HD, and if the wii is as strong as the XBOX, it is capable of it as well.

We WILL see games in 720p on the wii before this generation is up, just like we saw games in 720P on the XBOX

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

Around the Network

Yes, but they won't be standard, whereas 720p is the required format for the other next-gen systems.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Neither side is going to convince the other.

mrstickball said:
Yes, but they won't be standard, whereas 720p is the required format for the other next-gen systems.

Yes and a non-mass market price is also standard on the other next-gen systems.  It would be good for a lot of posters here to stop and think about the relationship between those to standards and sales.

On topic, I agree Quantum.  I've argued the first point many times, the Wii from what we know of its specs is somewhere around 100-150% the power of the Xbox.  I think Nintendo's official position is that the Wii is 2-3x as powerful as a Gamecube.  In utilized power the Gamecube was around 50% of an Xbox (as I understand it they were close overall, and in some ways the GCN was better but things like 24MB vs 64MB of useful RAM really hurt it in utlizeable power) so that is pretty close to the 100-150% better the specs would indicate.

As to your second point, SD/ED graphics will be the way the majority of gamers play until near the end of this generation.  Next-gen will be different but then the power required to take advantage of HD will be cheap and will be usable by essentially all gamers.  Until then, arguments over SD/ED being dated are arguments between a small minority of gamers with the money and knowledge to actually care about such things (and who frequent video game forums to argue such things).  Sony and MS can lose all the money they want catering to that crowd, Nintendo chose to make tons of profit serving the majority of gamers.

Im just kind of confused.

PS2 games could be exported to 720p. PC games have been exported to 720p, or near resolutions for ages. I am sure there were a few GC games that were ported to 720p resolutions.

I was just pointing out that 2 of the systems make HD standard, and one doesn't. Weather or not that means anything to you or not, is entirely upto you. I don't see where many were saying "but the Wii doesn't do HD!" atleast on these forums.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

gaphics just don´t kill games, chess has been played for at least 2500 years now, its still the one of the best games of all times, people in south korea can make a living playing starcraft, thousands of people still play counterstrike 1.5, gamers don´t get addicted to garphics, they may embrace them but addiction comes from elements that speak to us more than graphics like story, gameplay, interaction, competition, and sometimes unfortunatly violence.

Oh and Yes.....kick that horse, kick it...don´t let it get back up.....kick it... who cares if its dead...just kick it 

mrstickball said:
I don't see where many were saying "but the Wii doesn't do HD!" atleast on these forums.

Then youve missed those threads ;)

Every time a "Wii 2 coming in 2010" thread pops up, it inevitably suggests that the Wii2 will have HD Graphics.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

making a thread =/= putting to rest

I'll have my b**** here...

1/ Graphic power is irrelevant: This has been discussed to death, no point to continue. Weaker consoles always seem to win, PS2:XBOX, DS:PSP, etc. It is a factor, but its a MINOR factor with just about everything else more important.

2/ Wii Specs: I still haven't seen ANY real figures for the Wii, in terms of poly output, transformation, etc. If we assume that the gfx can do double the geometry internally, has double the texture units, AND runs 50%(?) faster in terms of clock speed - that's a significant improvement. It also has more than double the RAM, while actually results in a lot more USABLE RAM for games (lots of reasons). The CPU is almost twice as quick, with an improved instruction set(likely assumption?) and a cache that improves memory performace. All good.

I played Strikers all weekend, and the graphics in places (intros) still blow my mind - not sure why more people haven't commented on this yet. Bordering on what I would expect from the 360/PS3 (just done really well).

3/ Hi-resolution output: This is only important when comparing consoles the same/similar price. The average consumer (i.e. non-gamer/casual gamer) would go for the cheaper product. Especially if they are confused about what TV is needed, etc. I'll happily trade $200 and cheaper games for lower-res. Again - look at the DS.

4/ Wiimote control: Wii-mote control is only beginning. I doubt we'll see some really awesome Wiimote control for another 2-3 years. It has already got the point, where I can't imagine using a controller without a on-screen pointer, and some form of motion control. I'm actually critical of Strikers for having too LITTLE waggle input.

I'll ask again - for a console to support 720, is there something the video signal generation chip (i.e. the thing that turns a frame buffer into a component/RGB signal) has to do? Or is this pure software? I assume its the first option, so regardless of frame buffer size - the Wii can never manage 720p?

Finally - What is with all these analysts STILL predicting the PS3 to overtake the Wii? Deja vu, with the DS:PSP? Haven't they learned their lessons yet?

I'll say it again - give me a single week where the Wii is outsold by the PS3 (or the 360) - and then you can have some credibility re: the Wii being overtaken. Until then, every week sees it increase its lead. (*)

(* - obviously does not include the launch week for the PS3 in Europe...).

Surely by 2011 its irrelevant? The Wii II will be out, PS3/360 titles will start being ported to that - and since the Wii II will almost certainly run Wii software, it effectively keeps increasing the Wii install base anyway!

(or will Nintendo surprise everyone again, and do something completely different??)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:

(or will Nintendo surprise everyone again, and do something completely different??)

That would be retarded to abadndon the Wii and try to come up with another appealing, different console...

Also they should not have any new Gameboy versions either as the DS can do all the games that the Gameboy would get and the DS 2 should be the only new hand held for Nintendo in the future. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!