By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - How accurate are the numbers for the classic consoles?

I understand you can't divulge your sources for the current console numbers, however, I would like to know just how accurate your classic console numbers are. Are they just estimates? Or do you get the numbers from the manufacturers old financial reports? I noticed that some of your classic numbers are dead on with Sony or Sega's financial reports, while your total numbers can be as much as 2 million off from other sources I've found.

Are your old console numbers guestimates from secret sources like the current consoles, or did you get the numbers from official sources?

Around the Network

It's a highly advanced and sophisticated method that is used.
They throw a dart in a dartboard, roll a dice and multiply the two numbers together THEN square that number by how many chicken McNuggets they have eaten that week.

llewdebkram said:
It's a highly advanced and sophisticated method that is used.
They throw a dart in a dartboard, roll a dice and multiply the two numbers together THEN square that number by how many chicken McNuggets they have eaten that week.

lol best comment this week :P

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

I believe the classic console information is pretty accurate, because it wouldn't take too long to read through alot of old hardware information from the major companies (Atari, Sega, ect), as they publish quarterly hardware shipping information.

The issue is when it comes to current systems like the 360, Wii, PS3, et all, as we're trying to get up-to-the-minute information, which isn't quite accurate all the time.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Well, specifically, I'm asking about the Sega hardware, since thats where I found the inconsistencies.

I've read from other sources that Genesis sold 28.5 million worldwide, while VGChartz has it listed for 30.75. Meanwhile, it says the US sales where ari 17 million, while I've read itas 19 million from other sources. Likewise, I've read that the Saturn hardware sold 10 million, while this site says 8 million.

Obviously, said info is hardly anymore accurate then VGChartz from my current knowledge, but since said source said it was going from Sega's financial reports...

So I was wondering if this site was going off of Sega's (and the other competitors) old financial info, or if it was just guesstimates.

Around the Network

Usually the hardware shipments page you're referencing on this site comes direct from finanical reports -- thus why they're only updated quarterly or bi-quarterly -- but ioi would have to confirm for those cases.

Awesome :D

Well, if your comparing two separate consoles from back then, all consoles shipped had to eventually get sold, right? And since competitors didn't channel stuff back then like they do now (glares at Microsoft) it probably also gives you a pretty good estimate on how the competitors sold compared to each other.

So in terms of total shares you guys are pretty accurate. Thanks. Now I know I can use you guys as a source for this stuff. :D

By the way, speaking of old sales, where did you get the old charts that dated back to 1993, and when will we be getting them back?

One thing I definetly like about the staff of this site: you guys are nice.