By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sid Meier developing an exclusive PS3 game or 2?

http://www.us.playstation.com/News/Editorials/53

"Nonetheless, Meier, who owns a PlayStation®2, PLAYSTATION®3 and PSP® systems personally, believes there's still room to revolutionize in the strategic category, especially on Sony's signature consoles. And while he won't slap his seemingly ubiquitous name on any project that comes his way ("Sorry, don't expect a Sid Meier's Knitting Derby anytime soon"), he does have several interesting projects in the works.

"While unwilling to elaborate at the moment, he does admit that he's got teams whose size ranges upwards of 50 individuals currently cranking away on a surprise or two as we speak. Meaning that it shouldn't be long before you'll be able to plop down in front of your living room TV and enjoy tactically-minded diversions that top anything previously seen on the PC, a platform such outings were once synonymous with.

"'Look at the level of content you're seeing on current-gen systems right now in the form of games like God of War® II,' he explains. 'Remember: The PLAYSTATION®3 is light years ahead of this technology. As with any new platform, it's going to be a challenge and take designers some time to come to grips with the hardware. But believe me, you'll be amazed by the possibilities.'"

Around the Network

*tries to imagine a Sid Meier game with gamepad controls*

............ ugh.

*shakes head and walks away*

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

vanguardian1 said:
*tries to imagine a Sid Meier game with gamepad controls*

............ ugh.

*shakes head and walks away*

Yeah, because a turn-based strategy game would be difficult with a gamepad.  Kinda like FFT was.  Oh wait...

C&C3 is on the 360 and doing well.  Battle for Middle Earth had good controls.  Those were RTS games. 

Besides, the PS3 supports any USB/bluetooth keyboard, mouse, and webcam.

Great...let's just totally ignore the PC then...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Ouch, hope he isn't. I love Civ, but I'm not buying a PS3 any time soon :/

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

I am not a big Civs guy and I don't like RTS on consoles, I hate them I much prefer on PC. But I am hoping Endwar ends that with the voice controls thing.

Also: in before Gballzack comes on and points out how these games will all be a tiny red drop in an ocean of blue or some other awful analogy.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
I am not a big Civs guy and I don't like RTS on consoles, I hate them I much prefer on PC. But I am hoping Endwar ends that with the voice controls thing.

Also: in before Gballzack comes on and points out how these games will all be a tiny red drop in an ocean of blue or some other awful analogy.

I agree with you on the RTS. I extend it to FPS as well, you may too. It could easily be a turn-based game anyway.  I sure wouldn't mind playing an RTS on a console if it supported keyboard/mouse, though.

Ck, stop flaming the hell out of people its getting annoying that in every post you attack Gball or Fishy or something - sure they are fanboys doesnt mean you have to attack them all the time.

On topic: Blurgh, while I admit RTS can be done on a console its generally inferior to a PC (just cant replace the mouse, even the Wiimote doesnt try to do that).
Sid Meir games with the intricate and long games would not translate well, however something like pirates (which is suprisingly a favourite of mine) would translate very well indeed. If he does go this way please let it be something like the latter rather than a civ game.

Rath said:
Ck, stop flaming the hell out of people its getting annoying that in every post you attack Gball or Fishy or something - sure they are fanboys doesnt mean you have to attack them all the time.

On topic: Blurgh, while I admit RTS can be done on a console its generally inferior to a PC (just cant replace the mouse, even the Wiimote doesnt try to do that).
Sid Meir games with the intricate and long games would not translate well, however something like pirates (which is suprisingly a favourite of mine) would translate very well indeed. If he does go this way please let it be something like the latter rather than a civ game.

Woah, woah there. Especially on the Gballzack side, Gball has been notorious for mocking people and calling them names. Heck, she called me a "whiny little turd." And I'm a Wii fan -- think how she treats the PS3 lovers. She got banned for that, by the way.

I don't personally condone name calling, even if people call you names first. However, at the very least, you should be picking on Gball too, and not just Ck.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

RTS should not EVER go to the console. There are odd games which have neat controls that work on it though. Like Batallion Wars, but there is a reason that the multiplayer on the console version of C&C isn't allowed to compete against the PC.