By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - More Br good news - 90.8% of Australian Hd market.

http://www.n4g.com/tech/News-45472.aspx

The sooner hddvd dies, the sooner Br takes over and offsets some of PS3 price (thats its a cause of).

Around the Network

Its an audacious claim by Sony.... How credible is that?

quite seeing is how hddvd aint even sold in many stores over there.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=251 heres their official statement.

6000 units = 1% (?) of the movie market. Its also selling at the huge rate of 60 movies / day - across a market of 25million.

Its not surprising at all. Most retailers (including all of the big ones such as JB HiFi) are not selling or stocking HD-DVD movies (I have never seen one here in fact).

The Australian market is so small, this is completely irrelevant. It will only become relevant when CHEAP (i.e. sub $200 HD players) are released.

Australia, BTW, has one of the highest ratios of downloading/copying pirate movies from the Internet.

About 40k PS3's have been sold here since launch (approx). So almost 1 in 10 PS3 owners buys a BluRay movie?

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
6000 units = 1% (?) of the movie market. Its also selling at the huge rate of 60 movies / day - across a market of 25million.

Its not surprising at all. Most retailers (including all of the big ones such as JB HiFi) are not selling or stocking HD-DVD movies (I have never seen one here in fact).

The Australian market is so small, this is completely irrelevant. It will only become relevant when CHEAP (i.e. sub $200 HD players) are released.

Australia, BTW, has one of the highest ratios of downloading/copying pirate movies from the Internet.

About 40k PS3's have been sold here since launch (approx). So almost 1 in 10 PS3 owners buys a BluRay movie?

yes everything you said is true but think about it. It maybe a small market there but its still a section of the market that can help more then hurt to have control of. Sony according to the latest neilson numbers controls 59% of the HD Disc market which means the more sales they receive the more market they can gain. If more then 1/5 PS3 owners started to buy more discs in Australia wouldnt that help their overall numbers? of course.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

I don't think HD-DVD really exists much outside of the US anyway. Which if you think about it makes you wonder how anyone thought it would ever beat Blu-Ray world-wide. Kinda like the 360 actually. :P

Can we move this to off topis where it belongs.

This is not Playstation News

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

So 90% of HD market ... that probably makes it less than 0.9% of the movie market.

yer we can get HDDVDs here who the hell made this shit up. I see way more HDDVD discs on shelf then blue ray atm.

477 HD DVD releases v 344 Blu-Ray

DKII said:
I don't think HD-DVD really exists much outside of the US anyway. Which if you think about it makes you wonder how anyone thought it would ever beat Blu-Ray world-wide. Kinda like the 360 actually. :P

It's pretty big in Europe. And it's around in Japan, since Toshiba is a Japanese company. We just don't hear much of sales in Japan, from either HD-DVD or blu-ray.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs