By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Ps3 price cut all but confirmed before xmas .

steven787 said:

This chart is also interesting. And I want to remind everyone that I am a Nintendo Fanboy expressing that PS3 will come in at a close 2nd to 3rd by end of 2008.

ok, i'll point this out again since you obviously didn't notice the last person to point it out. VGChartz hardware comparison charts do NOT include the older consoles in the other regons. Only the Japanese and American info is included for last gens consoles. If you take a look at this chart ( Click Here!!! ) you will notice that both have non lines drawn for them. This is because the chart has NO data for them. So in all likely hood, both the GC and XBOX perform better when the Others data is included.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

Did anyone even read Sony's own estimate for the fiscal year? By THEIR OWN WORDS, the gaming division plans on producing 11 million PS3s AND losing $500 million. If the PS3 were at all profitable, how could such a loss be possible. Doe the PSP lose money? Does the PS2 lose money?

The only logical conclusion is that the PS3 loses money at the $599 price point.

I was think that the ps3 cost so much more in Europe and the ps3 cost so much less in Japan. When they said that they were losing 840$/console it was in November and the console was not introduced in europe.

JP=399$
US=599$
EU=850$

Damn I want that special formula that shows how much Sony loses per console. I will continue later with it need to check stuff.

Yojimbo said:
I was think that the ps3 cost so much more in Europe and the ps3 cost so much less in Japan. When they said that they were losing 840$/console it was in November and the console was not introduced in europe.

JP=399$
US=599$
EU=850$

Damn I want that special formula that shows how much Sony loses per console. I will continue later with it need to check stuff.

This is the link I used that showed the cost per component, including the $241.35 difference that was cited previously (that figure could be common in many 3rd party reports as the original numbers were credited to iSuppli): 

http://blogs.business2.com/utilitybelt/2006/11/sonys_loss_is_a.html

And here is a link to the original report re: cell processor yields from July of '06:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/07/13/ibm_sony_cell_yield_revelation/ 

Yojimbo said:

JP=399$
US=599$
EU=850$

The price for EU includes taxes, the one for US doesn't (don't know about Japan). Plus, distribution costs and retailer profit have to be subtracted. This is not easy stuff to calculate.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Whichever division involves gaming :)

Yeah the gaming division. The entertainment division is gold with Spiderman 3 milking millions of people going to see that drivel...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Dryden said:
Alacrist said:

If the production cost goes down by 241.35, (if Blue was right about that number), in a year then maybe they will do a 100 price drop. Can production cost go down that fast with the Cell and Blue-ray?

Production costs should drop substantially by early next year. There are two ways to interpret Moore's Law -- that the number of transistors per integrated circuit doubles every 24 months, -- one is that processing power/hardware will double in speed while remaining the same size, and the other is that hardware size and cost will be halved, while remaining the same speed.

From what I've read, the three most expensive components are the Cell processor (~$89), the nVidia Reality GPU (~$129), and the Blu-Ray drive (~$125).

In order:

Cell yields are terrible. Because the cell processor is a 64-bit PowerPC + eight SPE vector processors, the margin for error in producing nine processors on one chip is very, very narrow. Early reports were that cell yields per wafer were in the order of only 10-20%, whereas simpler chip yield rates can typically reach in to the 95%+ ranges. e.g., If Sony, IBM, and Toshiba are indeed "throwing out" 80-90% of the processors they're producing currently, once they better understand the manufacturing process and produce more consistent results, they'll increase cell chip output by at least 400%, without absorbing any additional manufacturing cost. Fixing yields + following Moore's Law would mean the cost of per-cell manufacturing should drop to (and I'm going to be real conservative here) ~$35 over the first two years of the PS3's life, so Sony saves ~$54.

nVidia's GPU would see a similar price drop, and this will be the biggest saving passed on to Sony. If GPU manufacturing prices are cut 50% after 24 months, Sony saves ~$65 there.

Magnetic and optical media, while not usually thought of in the sense of their processing power and number of transistors, still seem to follow the same price trends, so there's no reason not to expect Sony to save ~$63 per unit on Blu-Ray.

Add those three up and you knock off $182 per console build. Now, toss out the EE ($27), and similarly lower the RAM ($24 from $48), I/O Bridge ($30 from $60), Seagate SATA HD ($27 from $54) and the Power Supply costs ($19 from $38), adjusted for Moore's Law, and you have a savings of another $127 from all of that.

Total expected manufacturing drop in 24 months: at least $309. That's not counting the nickel and dime stuff like Bluetooth & 802.11g, but that is already so low it's not worth cutting in half -- maybe $5 - $10 total there too.

So, assuming the costs of the other components remains relatively static, the build price of the PS3 should go from $840.35 down to $531.35 by approx mid-2008, and down to $376.85 by mid-2010, and so on and so on.

Where all of this fails in the face of price cut speculation, however, is the fact that these obvious cost savings (and the non-obvious ones too) cannot be realized until new units are built. Sony allegedly has about 1.9M old units sitting in warehouse. They really need to get those sold first, and without a price-cut affecting that initial 5.5-6M run, where they're already hemorrhaging cash.

you are applying moores law to where it does not belong. It belongs in processors ONLY. Other things to not follow this trend. For instance, the price of RAM tends to fluctuate a lot, and drop slowly, to be replaced by larger RAM, it definitely does not halve every 24 months. RAM tends to get larger rather than cheaper.-

Hard drves tend to bottom out at a certain price, for instance, you might drop $10 off the cost of a 60GB HDD tops. While in 2 years you miht find a 120GB HDD for the price of the 60B, the 60B won't be half the price it is now. In a couple of years, you miht find a 60GB HDD is MORE expensive than a larger one due to the numbers that are being produced. I really don't expect Sony to save much money on the hard drive or RAM.

Optical media is an interesting one, it hits a point and drops extremely rapidly. If sony only saves half the money on blu-ray in 2 years I will be incredbly shocked (unless the format flops). Power supplies, on the other hand, don't get any cheaper. Don't expect much of a saving there.

You can't apply moores law to anything other than transistors, different components price reduce differently (if at all) 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

omgwtfbbq said:

you are applying moores law to where it does not belong. It belongs in processors ONLY. Other things to not follow this trend. For instance, the price of RAM tends to fluctuate a lot, and drop slowly, to be replaced by larger RAM, it definitely does not halve every 24 months. RAM tends to get larger rather than cheaper.-

Hard drves tend to bottom out at a certain price, for instance, you might drop $10 off the cost of a 60GB HDD tops. While in 2 years you miht find a 120GB HDD for the price of the 60B, the 60B won't be half the price it is now. In a couple of years, you miht find a 60GB HDD is MORE expensive than a larger one due to the numbers that are being produced. I really don't expect Sony to save much money on the hard drive or RAM.

Optical media is an interesting one, it hits a point and drops extremely rapidly. If sony only saves half the money on blu-ray in 2 years I will be incredbly shocked (unless the format flops). Power supplies, on the other hand, don't get any cheaper. Don't expect much of a saving there.

You can't apply moores law to anything other than transistors, different components price reduce differently (if at all)

Yes, you can apply Moore's Law to other hardware, because nearly all PC-based hardware has followed Moore's law, regardless of whether its an "according to Hoyle" transistor. Processors, motherboards, RAM, hard drives, flat panel monitors, even things as mundane as the keyboard + mouse have seen price reductions on a scale fitting to Moore's Law, regardless or their composition or whether they fit the classical definition dating back to the 60s.

I stated such in the very first paragraph of that post. The inverse of a doubling of capacity is that the depreciation cost at the same speed is half. Overall prices across the industry fall in relation to an increase in consumer base, which is not calculated by Moore's Law. Simply put: volume price reduction. 

RAM prices do not drop slowly only to be replaced by bigger RAM. You're grossly oversimplifying the reality of RAM development. RAM speeds increase many orders of magnitude as RAM density increases, while the top-end inflation-adjusted price usually remains a constant. e.g. the inverse is that existing RAM price has been halved.  If you want to dispute this, I've got two 8Mb sticks of top-of-the-line EDO DRAM I'll sell you at a 1995 price of ~$199.

This is how much RAM ~$200 would buy, give or take:

1993: 8Mb
1995: 16Mb
1997: 32Mb
1999: 64Mb
2001: 128Mb
2003: 256Mb
2005: 512Mb
2007: 1Gb 

Yes, you can apply Moore's Law to other hardware, because nearly all PC-based hardware has followed Moore's law, regardless of whether its an "according to Hoyle" transistor. Processors, motherboards, RAM, hard drives, flat panel monitors, even things as mundane as the keyboard + mouse have seen price reductions on a scale fitting to Moore's Law, regardless or their composition or whether they fit the classical definition dating back to the 60s.

I stated such in the very first paragraph of that post. The inverse of a doubling of capacity is that the depreciation cost at the same speed is half. Overall prices across the industry fall in relation to an increase in consumer base, which is not calculated by Moore's Law. Simply put: volume price reduction. 

RAM prices do not drop slowly only to be replaced by bigger RAM. You're grossly oversimplifying the reality of RAM development. RAM speeds increase many orders of magnitude as RAM density increases, while the top-end inflation-adjusted price usually remains a constant. e.g. the inverse is that existing RAM price has been halved.  If you want to dispute this, I've got two 8Mb sticks of top-of-the-line EDO DRAM I'll sell you at a 1995 price of ~$199.

This is how much RAM ~$200 would buy, give or take:

1993: 8Mb
1995: 16Mb
1997: 32Mb
1999: 64Mb
2001: 128Mb
2003: 256Mb
2005: 512Mb
2007: 1Gb 

As a person who purchased all computer equipment for a 25 computer business for over three years, omgwtfbbq is right about this one.

Just because RAM size doubles every 24 months and prices remain the same doesn't mean that older RAM halves in price for the same equipment. While high-end RAM doubles in size and stays roughly the same price every two years or so, older equipment drops at a far slower pace. The same applies to HDDs, especially a 60GB drive that's already been in mainstream production for the past two years. It's already near its saturation point.

While Moore's law is definitely applicable to the CPU and GPU (though not quite as much because of RAM), it definitely does NOT apply to some of the peripheral components like RAM, HDD, power supplies, I/O, etc.

Another thing: Production costs are a slowing arc and the biggest gains are found in the first two years. After a time, the arc starts decreasing as raw material prices begin to eat into the R&D and tooling costs that originally took up so much of a product's cost. After a time, the arc stops completely and begins to actually increase again. This isn't a simple "cut in half every 24 months" formula we're looking at here.

As you might be able to tell, I spent several years doing PR and advertising for a manufacturing company. I learned a lot about pricing raw materials, sunk costs, tooling, scaling production, and cost effectiveness over time since I was in on many of the company meetings regarding sales promotions and advertising avenues. It's a complex business.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

It should also be noted that the prices on things like controllers, casing, packaging, shipping, etc. will never drop much in price and in some cases, will actually raise in time (anyone who has dealt with raw materials knows the crazy price fluctuations in steel and plastic over the past few years, thanks China). The initial cost is the real setback in situations like those (molding, tooling, etc.). While those things might not seem like they cost much, they definitely add up when you factor all of it together.

Moore's Law is not applicable when you're talking about an entire electronic device. They don't halve every 24 months.

The one exception here is probably Blu-Ray. Since it is such bleeding edge tech, the manufacturing cost will drop like a rock until it hits a saturation point.

BTW, I think you might be misunderstanding the core fundamental of Moore's Law slightly.

"Moore's Law is the empirical observation made in 1965 that the number of transistors on an integrated circuit for minimum component cost doubles every 24 months."

That means that transistors double for the same cost every two years. It mentions nothing about existing technology halving every two years. While that is often close to the case, that is not the core of what Moore was talking about and it's definitely not part of his law.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/