By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - britian makes the best bands!!!!

UK & Ireland. No contest.

Bands:
The Beatles
Roling Stones
The Kinks
The Clash
The Smiths
The LA's
The Police
Echo & the Bunnymen
Belle and Sebastian
Radiohead
The Libertines
Franz Ferdinand
Pulp
Blur
Placebo
Travis
The Cure
Arctic Monkeys
The Who
Joy Division
New Order
Massive Attack
Manic Street Preachers
The The
Talk Talk
Underworld
Heaven 17
Basement Jaxx
XTC

Duos:
Goldfrapp
Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man
Pet Shop Boys

Solo Artists:
Van Morrison
David Bowie
Brian Eno
Kate Bush
Peter Gabriel
Elton John
The Divine Comedy
Aphex Twin

All off the top of my head (better said: off my CD rack, that's standing right behind me). I could name some dozens more but I don't want to bore you to death.

If we treat 20th century's music as an overall world competition, there's only one thing on this planet that was better than music from UK & Ireland (imo): Black American Music (until late 70s/early 80s).

Around the Network

No way! Canada does! We have, umm... Celine Dion? Okay I'll shut up now.

No Clapton, Zeppelin or Pink Floyd in your collection, Ork?

EDIT: @ Al Habs fan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alanis_Morissette

Dogs Rule said:
super_etecoon said:
Dogs Rule said:
Cream, Derrick and the Dominos, The Yarbirds. (is there a common thread?)
Led Zeppelin.

Heck, right now, I will credit the UK with keeping Rock alive while the North Americas are dominated with rap.

If you only like to consider the MTV generation...then you might be right.

But I'm sure you are aware that the best music happens underground.

As long as it is velvety, I'm fine with that statement.

And that is why I said dominated. You can never call something that is underground "dominating."

Yes...but I take exception with you saying that the UK is keeping Rock (now that's an amorphous term) alive.  The dominance of rap/hip hop in America does not diminish the vitality and significance of other generes...it just makes it more difficult to see from an outside perspective.

Really I don't want to get into a pissing contest regarding specific acts or musicians...and I won't create a laundry list to counter this thread (since I do think that the UK is a hot bed for amazing talent and diversity in music); I just think that condemning the Northa American music scene because of  the vocal minority is misguided and  doesn't show the true importance of  the indie scene (in all its parts).

Aj_habfan said:
No way! Canada does! We have, umm... Celine Dion? Okay I'll shut up now.

If we look at TODAY, I'd say yes, Canada is the best country for great new bands at the moment. 

Best band worlwide at the moment imo: Arcade Fire.

Around the Network

@ Super_etecoon
I said "I give them credit" in the sense that it is my own personal perception. I probably am wrong. But my perception is that there is a higher percentage of Britains who take pride in being fans of rock then the percentage of North Americans who do the same.

I do not feel that rock is dead in NA, even though that is what I may have implied by "I will credit the UK with keeping Rock" but it does not have the place in the hearts of the average NAmerican that it used to.

Dogs Rule said:

I never liked Clapton solo (I HATE his unplugged album for example). I love Derek & the Dominos and Cream, though. 

I never liked Led Zeppelin.

I used to love Pink Floyd when I was a teenager (as well as Alan Parsons Project), but I can't stand their pretentious music anymore.

okr said:
Dogs Rule said:

I never liked Clapton solo (I HATE his unplugged album for example). I love Derek & the Dominos and Cream, though. 

I never liked Led Zeppelin.

I used to love Pink Floyd when I was a teenager (as well as Alan Parsons Project), but I can't stand their pretentious music anymore.

By Clapton, I was including Cream, Yarbirds and DatDominos. I agree in part with much of his solo work being so-so, but his work with cream is awesome.

i love xbox360 said:

britian made the best bands!!!!

I fixed your typo.  You're welcome.

Dogs Rule said:
@ Super_etecoon
I said "I give them credit" in the sense that it is my own personal perception. I probably am wrong. But my perception is that there is a higher percentage of Britains who take pride in being fans of rock then the percentage of North Americans who do the same.

I do not feel that rock is dead in NA, even though that is what I may have implied by "I will credit the UK with keeping Rock" but it does not have the place in the hearts of the average NAmerican that it used to.

Meh...all this talk of genres has made me nauseas.  I fear that we're about to walk into the revolving door of genre definitions and that we'll never make it out alive.  I'll just say this....rock is dead.  Whatever rock used to be doesn't exist anymore. 

And the Britons do enough distraction away from that genre as well....techno/rave anyone?

Personally I'm a little fed up with the Metal/Punk scene in my local area.  It's almost like you have to wear your testicles around your neck to get people not to laugh at you...either that or cut yourself.