By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How bad is MGS4 for the image of our hobby?

LG[Infinite] said:
There is no one future for video games. I hope no gets offended by the comparison, but MGS4 is a lot like a horror flick. Sure some of its cliche, and sure some it seems overdone, but to fans it's pure gold. MGS has never been everyone's cup of tea and it never will be. Whether or not you like what it does isn't the point so much as it does what it does very well. As for making our hobby look bad... I point the finger squarely at DOA Volleyball. If that doesn't depress you, nothing will.

That game had real substance to it!

Yes

Around the Network

btw, that picture could be anyone, but it really matters not. The fact that you are on this forum soley to bash one game is really rather sad. Try expanding to hating other games, at least.

Spankey said:
yes. in the same way Akira Kurosawa destroyed the image of film with Seven Samurai.

Jesus, if you really think MGS can in any way be put in the same comany as Seven Samurai....jesus.

As I've said before, I like MGS games, but the plotting and dialogue is ludicrous. Seven Samurai is one of the greatest films of all time, and is a truely amazing work of art. MGS....isn't. There are games that get story much, much better than MGS does. Japanese ones even, for those that are turning this somehow into a Japanese/Western issue, which it isn't.

My consoles and the fates they suffered:

Atari 7800 (Sold), Intellivision (Thrown out), Gameboy (Lost), Super Nintendo (Stolen), Super Nintendo (2nd copy) (Thrown out by mother), Nintendo 64 (Still own), Super Nintendo (3rd copy) (Still own), Wii (Sold)

A more detailed history appears on my profile.

HappySqurriel said:

Honestly, the problem with Metal Gear is not the storyline or the game it is the moronic reaction and undeserved hype of Fanboys ... Metal Gear Solid's story is very similar in delivery to a movies like Wild Wild West or Van Helsing; poorly acted and directed over the top movies that are entertaining when you turn your brain off. It is (somewhat) better than these movies because there is an effort to add some deeper content into the story, but these messages are poorly integrated into the story and end up seeming clumsy. From what I have seen, the only people who really see Metal Gear as being particularly deep are people who tend to only see the surface messages in movies/books/videogames and miss the subtext of a story.

When someone who truly understands and enjoys deep subtext hears about how "Deep" Metal Gear Solid is, and then plays the game, they are bound to think that either games are the most shallow medium ever created (if this is the deepest game created) or that Metal Gear Fans ar morons.

I don't think Metal Gear is quite as bad as, say, Van Helsing or Wild Wild West. Is does try to be cerebral, even if it kind of hits you over the head with it and oversimplifies the concepts. I'd say it's more in line with The Matrix and it's sequels, in that it's kind of philosophy for dummies. In fact, you could say both The Matrix and MGS2 act in certain ways as "Jean Beaudrillard for Dummies," though both try to add their own other elements in as spice--The Matrix adds a little Derrida (oversimplified to hell and slightly bastardized), MGS2 a little Nietzche and Machiavelli (ditto).

My consoles and the fates they suffered:

Atari 7800 (Sold), Intellivision (Thrown out), Gameboy (Lost), Super Nintendo (Stolen), Super Nintendo (2nd copy) (Thrown out by mother), Nintendo 64 (Still own), Super Nintendo (3rd copy) (Still own), Wii (Sold)

A more detailed history appears on my profile.

windbane said:
btw, that picture could be anyone, but it really matters not. The fact that you are on this forum soley to bash one game is really rather sad. Try expanding to hating other games, at least.

Nah, I hate other games as well.

There are even a couple of games I really love.

Around the Network

Ive said before MGS4 is a good game not great. Because Kojima thinks he's a film director. When realistically he would probably get canned by film critics for dialogue and tedious not needed scenes. You could cut MGS4 cutscene time by half and still get the entire message across. On top of that the interactive cutscenes are some of the most useless around. Ive managed to see 8 hours of the game now, and I'm losing interest. I actually prefered MGS2.

akuma587 said:
What does it mean for the gaming industry when people won't accept that there is a place for people like Hideo Kojima in the gaming industry? I think that is a bigger problem...

I agree. The video game industry will eat itself alive if this type of thing continues. Seems whenever a game is released that people really enjoy, the circular firing squad assembles to rip it down as best as they can. I'm not talking about Fishie's opinion but the reaction to it(he is, of course, entitled to it and backs it up.) The Cliffsters of the world with their subtle and smug takedowns, the people who don't own and never played the game bashing it because of something they heard or read. In this thread alone, I've seen this game compared to Hollywood and Japanese movie classics(favorably and unfavorably), and I've seen people who enjoy this game called morons. Seriously? In re to the OP, no. MGS4 is not bad for the industry, in my opinion. The game sold well and most people who bought it were quite pleased with it. The Balkanization(sp?) and utter immaturity of the fans of this industry, however, is. If you don't like that type of game, don't fucking buy it. Really, it is as simple as that. Fishie: I don't think the industry is near that transcend game that seperates the medium from other art forms just yet. I only think that'll be possible when it reaches a combination of complete interactivity(i.e walk, talking, etc) and a different way to tell a story(i.e total immersion.) The dev who will make that game probably hasn't been born yet. So, I respectfully disagree and think this discussion would better take place a decade from now or so. In the meantime, it'll be bits and pieces of what's to come scattered about. No one game will put it together for a long time. At this point, however, I think all new and old ideas are relevant because when compared to others art, video games, as a whole, are still in the infancy stage. edit: I don't know why these keep posting in Wall of text....I have spaces in it and everything. Oh well

I would say that plots to games like MGS4 are so convoluted and complex that the little outside media attention they receive will center around a few seconds of video clips and sales figures. Games like GTA and Halo which are easily understood as incredibly violent and sell much better are far worse for the overall videogame industry.

However I would say the attention all violent video games receive is in general bad for our image because it means non-violent games (sports, racing, misc.) are frequently ignored by the media, despite having a large devoted fanbase.

Kyros said:
once again bombards us with heavy handed cliche upon heavy handed cliche, retarded storylines that dont make any sens

It's a Japanese game what do you expect. One set of people praises Japanese story telling as emotional, inspired, creative.
Other say its rambling, full of pathos and often ridiculous.

One thing is for sure its completely different to whats the gold standard in western story telling. That said its not my cup of tea but if people like it ...

It's the turth....

flagship said:
I would say that plots to games like MGS4 are so convoluted and complex that the little outside media attention they receive will center around a few seconds of video clips and sales figures. Games like GTA and Halo which are easily understood as incredibly violent and sell much better are far worse for the overall videogame industry.

However I would say the attention all violent video games receive is in general bad for our image because it means non-violent games (sports, racing, misc.) are frequently ignored by the media, despite having a large devoted fanbase.

I am pretty sure Nintendogs and Wii fit received far more mainstream media coverage then the likes of GTAIV