By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox price drop is only 50 bucks?

Jandre002 said:

The difference between a console at $499 going to $399 is a lot different than a console going from $349 to $299. Also the PS3's drop was supplemented with the first worth while games since the launch in Uncharted, COD4, Assassin's Creed while the Xbox360 has....Too Human.

Sorry, but I doubt there are millions of people in the middle of the summer who would LOVE to jump on the 360 for $299 but wouldn't dare touch it for $349. Will this change during the winter? Yea it will sell better during the winter because of Gears and people having more money to spend than it would at $349. But the price drop without Halo 3 around the corner will only last a few weeks this time and it will be right back to within 10,000 units of Sony in NA. 

So exactly what compelling content came to the 360 last August that caused sales to jump? The 360 got a 79% increase in sales the first week that it dropped $50 (which is lower, percentage wise, than what the 360 is getting now, if true).

Uh, lets see:

• Madden 2008
  • Two Worlds
  • Blue Dragon
  • BioShock
  • Tiger Woods 08
  • Dynasty Warriors: Gundam
  • Stuntman Ignition
  • Medal of Honor: Airborne
  • Stranglehold

Those were the games that allowed the 360 to hold at that 79% increase for the first full month of it's price drop. Arguably, BioShock and Madden were the only 2 games on that list that were reasonably good sellers.

This is compared to:

• Civilization: Revolution
  • Unreal Tournament 3
  • NCAA Football 08
  • Soul Calibur 4
  • Spectral Force 3
  • Too Human
  • Madden 2009

I would argue that the lists are very comparible to each other...Mind you, I left out the scrub titles for both. But at any rate, there aren't "millions of people waiting to buy a 360 for $50 less", but I can bet you there are about 30,000-40,000 people a week that will - and as the big games, both multi and exclusive start coming in, and there's no Sony price drop, people will run to the vastly cheaper system ($150 price difference, at minimum, between the Arcade and basic PS3).

Stop being in denial. The PS3 price drop was only 4.7% more than the dro the Pro would be getting...I'm not arguing that the $50 price drop will be as effective as the $100 PS3 drop, but it will have an effect.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

I wonder how much the Core and Elite will be assuming this is true. That miniscule price cut on the Elite last time was complete BS, IMO.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

The assumption, Akuma would be $30 for the Arcade (to $249.99), and $399.99 for the Elite...As it'd keep the same pricing structure for the Pro>Elite, but drop the Arcade>Pro differential quite a bit...Would be nice if they dropped the Arcade price $50 to $229.99..

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

With all the money Sony's bleeding, I don't see a price cut anytime soon. I think they would wait until they've integrated the 45nm CELL in the system first. For now, their best financial move would probably be to bundle games with the system, which costs way less than dropping the price by $50 or more.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Oh, and apparently the PS3 graphics chip will be shrunken down to 65nm by this fall

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11116&Itemid=2

As for the MS price cut: It'll probably bring the 360's WW weekly numbers in line with the PS3's.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

Around the Network
Jandre002 said:
Did Microsoft really say last year that cutting the price mid-year means you're desperate?

Hmm. What does cutting the price mid-year mean if you are already cheaper than your main competition?

And I don't think this will cause a lasting effect. The 360 was selling less the the PS3 WW because of the console itself, not the pricing.

But a 2-3week boost might happen, but it will still be selling in last place WW.

Mid year is when Madden is released and a shit ton of people are looking up to upgrade. It's just MS being aware of who their main audience is in the states.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

That's a strange time to do it, I think they would get more out of it if they wait a while.

Jandre002 said:
Did Microsoft really say last year that cutting the price mid-year means you're desperate?

Hmm. What does cutting the price mid-year mean if you are already cheaper than your main competition?

And I don't think this will cause a lasting effect. The 360 was selling less the the PS3 WW because of the console itself, not the pricing.

But a 2-3week boost might happen, but it will still be selling in last place WW.

Their sales are still up an average of about 20k in Others following that price drop so the evidence and I disagree with you.

Any price cut is welcome after this long, hopefully MS can market the shit out of it.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Jandre002 said:
mrstickball said:
Jandre002 said:

Yeah, I think the price drop will not have a long lasting effect, just like the PS3's price drop.

/sarcasm

The difference between a console at $499 going to $399 is a lot different than a console going from $349 to $299. Also the PS3's drop was supplemented with the first worth while games since the launch in Uncharted, COD4, Assassin's Creed while the Xbox360 has....Too Human.

Sorry, but I doubt there are millions of people in the middle of the summer who would LOVE to jump on the 360 for $299 but wouldn't dare touch it for $349. Will this change during the winter? Yea it will sell better during the winter because of Gears and people having more money to spend than it would at $349. But the price drop without Halo 3 around the corner will only last a few weeks this time and it will be right back to within 10,000 units of Sony in NA.

Well, I can only speak for myself, but just today I was thinking that the only real great time to get a 360 was this summer, and that if the price didn't drop this summer by at least $50 or this fall by at least $100, I would probably just get a $100 PS2 this winter and skip 360 this gen and just get the 3rd Xbox. But with this price cut, I am likely to get a 360. Too bad I just got a Sega Saturn :(