By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have graphics for consoles peaked with this generation?

Here is a 60 fps Xbox 360 game:

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/843/843290/ninja-gaiden-2-20080102000128225.jpg

Show me a PS3 game running at 60 fps with better graphics and as many simultaneous on-screen models as this game often has.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
leo-j said:
NJ5 said:

@leo-j: Let's just say that the 360 came out earlier, and so far it seems any advantages the PS3 will get will be minimal.

You say so far, but we already have games that are much better looking on the PS3, not to mention the 360 has yet to top gears of war visually.

Which games might that be, and how many frames per second are they pushing?

Uncharted drakes fortune(30fps)

Metal gear solid 4(60fps at times)

GT5 (60fps)

There is no XBOX 360 game that tops any of those visually.

Not to mention killzone 2 blows those 3 games away.

mM
leo-j said:
HappySqurriel said:

Then why did the PS3 use a GPU and CPU that were not the best available?

In mid 2006?

What graphics card was more advanced than the RSX? Also there is yet to be a stronger processing behemoth such as the CELL today.

First off, the Geforce 7800GTX has demonstrated performance that is higher than the RSX and was released in late 2005/early 2006 ... Beyond that the Cell is a gimmicky processor which has yet to demonstrate performance above what was available from Athlon X2 in the 4000+ range were able to do; please do not make the (moronic) assumption that it is similar in performance to a Core 2 Duo (Core 2 Quad) or any of the Power6 processors. 

NJ5 said:

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/843/843290/ninja-gaiden-2-20080102000128225.jpg

Show me a PS3 game running at 60 fps with better graphics and as many simultaneous on-screen models as this game often has.

Its called

NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA

Which runs at 60fps(AND) 1080p, same visuals as well.

mM

360: Yes.
PS3: Not by a long shot.

MGS4!

Around the Network
leo-j said:
NJ5 said:

Its called

NINJA GAIDEN SIGMA

Which runs at 60fps(AND) 1080p, same visuals as well.

Where should I start?

1- It doesn't run at 1080p, check beyond3d's pixel-counting thread.

2- That game has like 3 or 4 enemies on the screen at a time, while Ninja Gaiden 2 usually has at least double.

3- Ninja Gaiden 2 has better AI which consumes additional CPU power, especially with more simultaneous enemies.

4- Ninja Gaiden Sigma doesn't have blood, and if I recall correctly the enemies disappear from the screen after dying, unlike Ninja Gaiden 2.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:

Where should I start?

1- It doesn't run at 1080p, check beyond3d's pixel-counting thread.

2- That game has like 3 or 4 enemies on the screen at a time, while Ninja Gaiden 2 usually has at least double.

3- Ninja Gaiden 2 has better AI which consumes additional CPU power, especially with more simultaneous enemies.

Oh god not this again, I cant even argue anymore, with wii/pc fanboys on the attack I cant even say a thing, you won the 360 is so much more powerful than the PS3.

Because of your superior PC intelect.

mM

I think the next generation of consoles will have better graphics, but I doubt that'd be the focus of them. Since further graphical improvements would be subtler than what has happened in the past,  I think everyone would try to one up the Wii.  My guesses on features we might see (or at least I would like to see):

-  Stereoscopic 3D display glasses that are controlled by the console.

-  Dynamic head tracking capabilities.

-  A lot more accurate tracking of gestures and position than the Wiimote

-  Speech command recognition

nope I don't think so, usually consoles graphically peak near the end of their life. It's at that stage developers know exactly what the hardware can do, and they know how to push the hardware hard so they can get the full graphics potential out of the hardware.

leo-j said:
HappySqurriel said:
leo-j said:
brute said:
i think they arent peaked yet,next gen they will be a bit better then crysis at very high

Trust me it wont..

Sony said that when it comes to making new hardware, they have to use the best graphics card available, and the best CPU.

I expect when the PS4 is released(last console from sony my prediction) graphics would be on par with photo realism. Also it would have extreemly more realistic controls than the wii does.

Then why did the PS3 use a GPU and CPU that were not the best available?

In mid 2006?

What graphics card was more advanced than the RSX? Also there is yet to be a stronger processing behemoth such as the CELL today.

The Xbox 360 released a year earlier, and to my knowledge has a more powerful graphic processor or is at least comparable to the PS3's graphic processor. I think if Sony would have used the best processor available @ the time, the cost of the PS3 would have been even higher.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.