By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony and Market Perception

We can dance around the topic all day, but every single day the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360 lose momentum to the Wii. Part of the reason is price, the other part of the reason is market perception. Its been ingrained in people's heads that the Playstation 3 is $600. No matter what type of price cut is done, people will still remember those cold days in November, where they waited outside a store for a system with no games on it, only to resell it on ebay.

Thats all said and done, and Sony has pulled its act together for the hardcore gamer, however, this is the PEREFCT oppurtunity for Sony to rebrand themselves. The online is finally there, the system is finally sleek, and the ease of use is ever increasing (there are still some issues, but for the most part they are 60% of the way there).

Introduce a slimmer (take the goddamn power supply out), sexier (erase the stupid Spiderman 3 font), and motion control based Playstation 3 (tips hat to Wii) that comes bundled with workout, educational, trvia, and karoke games (Buzz, Singstar I'm looking at you). Successful rebranding has saved the DS, PSP, and even Pepsi.

People assume price is the only barrier. Its not just price, but market perception. Sony still has a household name, and it can still succesfully reband it self with a new logo, design philosophy, and game structure.

People expect THAT much out of a system. If you have that console out, the Playstation brand will be able to save face. I would much rather prefer a new interface that my mother can use as opposed to Home.

In short what does PS3 need?

- A price cut to 299 before its too late.  Yes they will bleed, but losing ALL marketshare is far more disasterous.
- A slim system.
- A new controll interface that my grandmother could understand.  Dualshock as nice it is, is not very friendly.
- Mainstream games bundled with the system.
- A rebranding as the 'everyman's' machine. Not just for tech heads, not just for hardcore gamers, but for everyone.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

Around the Network

Make it stop!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

I think PS3 needs a junior sku.

It's a slim PS3 with user friendly controller and a casual game bundled inside for 299 with out BC ofcourse.

but seriosuly PS3 is doing fine for a $500 gaming machine

You are on gametrailers, you posted this same thing on the forums. Everyone attacked you.

The ps3 is good how it is, it just needs to be more consumer friendly price wise, and get some more core/casual friendly games.

LBP is an example appeals to both hardcore and casual, same goes with ratchet and clank.

mM

These threads must stop!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Around the Network

I fully expect a LittleBigPlanet bundle to hit next year.

I expect the LBP bundle too. I think all the tools necessary are there for PS3. Its now a task of changing people's minds.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

talkingparrot said:
I expect the LBP bundle too. I think all the tools necessary are there for PS3. Its now a task of changing people's minds.

No its not, its a task of dropping the price, I told you that all sony needs is $299 and a couple of more casual friendly games.

You will get the same answer here as you did on GT.

mM

I think the most urgent thing it need right now and which can be done easily is the reintroduction of 80GB bundle in Japan and EU territory... the sale will easily increase by 20 - 30k and Sony will make some money too.. cuz they sell 80GB for $100 more and the it doesn't include $100 extra stuff in it at all..

Then they can have a $50 price cut after a quarter and then a slimmer model in the next yr... and XBOX will be left in dust in no time... but only if Sony management is that intelligent which i doubt somewhat...

dear me, not another one of these threads...