By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Connecticut State Senator Alarmed Over (non-existent) Rape Scene in GTA IV

Ssyn said:
LOL that video is fucking hilarious; these worthless congressmen/women need to get grilled more for being morons.

Oh wow, that clip was beautiful!

Around the Network

@ greenmedic88
I think Slossberg should get labelled 'S' for Sociopath.
These 'people' just don't and won't get it until some hard voting numbers come in. I'm pretty cynical about our system right now, but these people will not have their way. The courts have stopped them every step of the way and they continue to be made fools of over and over again. Seems that pesky little First Ammendment is more resilliant than most of these people know.

Hell, even when the courts got it wrong they were embarrassed: the Hot Coffee issue was just settled. .02% Of the owners of the game filed in the class action and Rockstar owes them something like $30K or so. Also, the $1.3m they will owe in the other side's lawyer fees, which the court is considering throwing away.

Legislating, or in ANY other way imposing, 'morality' on people is always wrong. Ms Slossberg should think long and hard about moving to Iran, North Korea, or Saudi Arabia if that's the type of society she prefers.

I wonder what would happen if they made a game about Clock Orange which is considered a masterpiece in which you play the hero and actually rape a woman.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

@Godot
The moralists would go to Defcon 5(both the right and left would join hands and sing Kumbaya over this), the media would run the story nonstop, preachers would talk of Soddom and Gomorrah...then....nothing would happen. It'd be rated AO and no one can really argue with that.

It sounds like she just would like better labeling on games, which really isnt such an evil thought. She just isnt aware that games have appropriate labeling and was misinformed about GTA. So someone just needs to buy her a Wii and she'll realize games arent as corrupting as she thought.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network
Starmistkarmic said:
@ greenmedic88
These 'people' just don't and won't get it until some hard voting numbers come in. I'm pretty cynical about our system right now, but these people will not have their way. The courts have stopped them every step of the way and they continue to be made fools of over and over again. Seems that pesky little First Ammendment is more resilliant than most of these people know.

Hell, even when the courts got it wrong they were embarrassed: the Hot Coffee issue was just settled. .02% Of the owners of the game filed in the class action and Rockstar owes them something like $30K or so. Also, the $1.3m they will owe in the other side's lawyer fees, which the court is considering throwing away.

Legislating, or in ANY other way imposing, 'morality' on people is always wrong. Ms Slossberg should think long and hard about moving to Iran, North Korea, or Saudi Arabia if that's the type of society she prefers.

It's really hard not being cynical if you pay close attention to these things. Really hard to the point where it takes a leap of faith in the system of checks and balances that things will level out despite opinions from elected officials that are either championing misguided crusades, or campaigning for more controversy and headlines in the interest of staying topical to voters.

And there IS no way of legislating morality short of state sponsored mind control a la Brave New World or Fahrenheit 451. That's the ultimate folly. Hard to have a free state in the absence of free will.

greenmedic88 said:
Starmistkarmic said:
@ greenmedic88

It's really hard not being cynical if you pay close attention to these things. Really hard to the point where it takes a leap of faith in the system of checks and balances that things will level out despite opinions from elected officials that are either championing misguided crusades, or campaigning for more controversy and headlines in the interest of staying topical to voters.

And there IS no way of legislating morality short of state sponsored mind control a la Brave New World or Fahrenheit 451. That's the ultimate folly. Hard to have a free state in the absence of free will.

I agree completely. My hope is that, like in the past, the new generation of voters will save us from ourselves. At first glance, they appear much more tolerant and open minded than the dinosaurs in charge now.

west-phoenix-az said:

Why do these people have any control?

Reminds me of this:

LOL not really on topic but a good example of congressional stupidty and love for feel good legislation none the less. Whos the news guy hes my new hero. Its good to know congress still wants people to have to risk burning their hands when shooting.

My MAK-90 is soooo different than an AK.  I hope they all stay this stupid then there might be hope.

colonelstubbs said:
Fucking women these days

Yeah me too.

Do people not understand that an M-rated game is the equivalent of an R-rated movie.

And recent studies have shown that game sales are better policed than movie sales (in terms of voluntary age restrictions being enforced).

Irony is that there are a lot of things that you could go off on about GTA IV or other games -- if you so chose (there is a lot of random killing possible after all) -- so that to go off on something that DOES NOT EXIST is just silly.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV