By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Gears of War 2, WOW

It's going to be the best shooter of all times, and consequently one of the best games ever made :)

By the end of this generation in 2011 we will have:

18.890.000 + (174 x 120.000) = 39.770.000 for XBOX360
12.610.000 + (174 x 170.000) = 42.190.000 for PS3

Around the Network

^^More space equals better looking? You must think Roseanne Barr is pretty.

Hey, lets put some spin on it.

Since the PS3 is "obviously" so much more powerful than the Xbox360, to have the games be compared to closely is either a testament to Epic/Microsoft or just shows either Sony or Konami screwed up. ^^

However, if you take that PS3 is more powerful part away - then its two good games made by two different companies.

So did Microsoft/Epic make huge win, Sony/Konami screw up or are the differences between the consoles indifferent and small, as has been indicated so far by the relative quality of the respective games?

So laymans terms - Huge win for Microsoft/Epic or both, huge fail for either Sony/Konami or both or we admit that the consoles don't have much seperating them and we put the matter to rest.

^^

Tease.

colonelstubbs said:
Before anyone says, no im not trolling, but the graphics dont look better than whats been seen in MGS4.

Sorry

as the footage is taken from multiplayer you should compare this with MGO...and from what can be seen you can't honestly say that MGO (form graphical standpoint)  is better than GeOW2 multiplayer. ( http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35506.html )

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

I don't think you're trolling, I just plain know you're lying.

http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/884/884154/gears-of-war-2-20080625073953033.jpg
I think it depends heavily on the question if you like the look of the Unreal Engine or not. I will say it like this: It looks pretty close to render movies of 5-10 years ago. With strong highlights and impressive lighting but everything is a bit cluttered, not so detailed and I have problems distinguishing characters from background etc.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/714044/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots-/images/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20080521004500847.html?page=mediaFull
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/714044/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots-/images/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots--20080521004505816.html?page=mediaFull

MGS4 looks much cleaner, objects are more detailed (I am willing to bet that Snake has 5 times the polygons of the Gears2 characters, but it uses far less effects and basic lighting.
So which game has the better graphics (to you) will depend on what you like. It should be as easy as that.

Around the Network

No,  if you crank up the graphics, size does matter. If GOW2 has graphics similar to COD4, then the game will be short. Unless GOW2 has brilliant multiplayer like COD4, the appeal will be lacking. MGS4 has the best graphics for any game on any console but the game size is still big. That is why it cannot be ported to the XBOX unless it gets a blu ray player.

colonelstubbs said:
reptile168 said:
colonelstubbs said:
Before anyone says, no im not trolling, but the graphics dont look better than whats been seen in MGS4.

Sorry

You're not trolling, but you are just defending your beloved PS3.

GOW1 set the benchmark for next gen console gaming and as we speak, it still is among the best looking PS360 game out there. GOW2 will definitely surpass that.

Do you think it set a benchmark for next gen games possibly because the 360 was the first next gen console out and geow was one of its first games?

Heh? Xbox 360 released Nov 2005, Gears released Nov 2006. So no games came out in the 360's first year on the market?

I'll wait for Gears 2 to be released before I pass judgement, but MGS4 is a fantastic looking game (except for the hair on characters that seem to enjoy moving in perfect unison constantly).

Squilliam said:
Hey, lets put some spin on it.

Since the PS3 is "obviously" so much more powerful than the Xbox360, to have the games be compared to closely is either a testament to Epic/Microsoft or just shows either Sony or Konami screwed up. ^^

However, if you take that PS3 is more powerful part away - then its two good games made by two different companies.

So did Microsoft/Epic make huge win, Sony/Konami screw up or are the differences between the consoles indifferent and small, as has been indicated so far by the relative quality of the respective games?

So laymans terms - Huge win for Microsoft/Epic or both, huge fail for either Sony/Konami or both or we admit that the consoles don't have much seperating them and we put the matter to rest.

^^

The force is strong with this one.

I try to be reasonable at all times, offer the same back please.

Proud owner of all next gen consoles.

"We do it for the Glory"

darthdevidem01 said:
GOTY is between MGS4 & GTA 4....I don't think any game can change that now

this should be fun to give shake though
GOW 1 got game of the year. The publications who voted that will remember that with fond memories. Dont count GOW2 out. MGS4 is a good game but I think there is to many flaws with it(especially Kojima thinking he's a film director, when in reality the directing was poor). And GTA4 just got boring to quick. Obviously GOW2 is not out so we havent played it.The differences in Graphics between GOW1 and 2 will be far bigger environments, more enemies on screen, better physics and water, and bigger enemies thrown into the mix. It's hard to portray that in screenshots, but moving will probably blow peoples socks off. GOW1 was and still is the most consistant game with detail. Every texture in the game was awesome and that will be slightly bettered in GOW 2. Even MGS4 has some textures which are flat and last gen looking.

demon123 said:

gow2 on 6.5 gb look better than MGS 4 on 50 GB. You must be crazy.

If GOW2 graphics are as good as COD4, you will have one short single player game. Anyway, video is not that impressive. Looks the same as GOW1.

and you want 2 claim that GOW1 isn't impressive?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.