By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Microsoft to allow third party X360 manufacturing.

lol awesome i'll use that again ;)

Around the Network

The idea is that you can use the xbox360 design for a number of OTHER applications

Bluray decoder
Control system
Video on demand system

whatever someone else can imagine

This lets developers come up with their own solutions and if they want also employ the XBOX360 games machine, MS wins by getting a licence fee to recoup dev dollars, they win because the machine is available in a number of different configuration and through a number of different sales channels, and they win because higher sales drives the price of key components down.

I don’t think this is an unlikely rumour as they have said it publicly already.

Predictions JAN 08

2008 PS3-19.5M(actual 19.5) XBOX360-23M(actual 27.5) Wii - 37M(actual 45.8M)

End of 2009 PS3-27 25M XBOX360-30 35M Wii - 48 63M (revised DEC 08)

Price Point
Mid 2008 Wii $250 Xbox360$249 Xbox360(HDD)$299 PS3 $399

Mid 2009 Wii $189 Xbox360$199 Xbox360(HDD)$249 PS3 $339

Mid 2010 Wii $ 149 Xbox360$159 Xbox360(HDD)$199 PS3 $289

Darc Requiem said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Million said:
@spec ,decent atempt at a response but not enough to justify another response.

Sorry.

He only succesfully debunked every one of your arguments but keep going, you're good at rollin' with da punches.

Yeah Bitmap Frog, Spectrumglr pretty much did this http://million.justgotowned.com/ to Million.

You went through all that for lil ol' me ? aw shux .

Hmm last i heard of something like this was the 2600 compatible sears home arcade. VERY interesting, doubt it's true though.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Wouldn't it be nice if Sony can build 360 compatibility into a PS3 ;) Now that would turn some heads - I'd instantly buy a console that could play BOTH 360 & PS3 games (note that this is 99.9999% unlikely...).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
shams said:
Wouldn't it be nice if Sony can build 360 compatibility into a PS3 ;) Now that would turn some heads - I'd instantly buy a console that could play BOTH 360 & PS3 games (note that this is 99.9999% unlikely...).

But the 360 part would red ring playing PS3 titles and the PS3 part would chug trying to run the 360 titles! :P

Million said:
Darc Requiem said:
Bitmap Frogs said:
Million said:
@spec ,decent atempt at a response but not enough to justify another response.

Sorry.

He only succesfully debunked every one of your arguments but keep going, you're good at rollin' with da punches.

Yeah Bitmap Frog, Spectrumglr pretty much did this http://million.justgotowned.com/ to Million.

You went through all that for lil ol' me ? aw shux .

The public is grateful with the performer. Like a punching bag you just keep coming for more. And we love the show.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Nidan said:

The idea is that you can use the xbox360 design for a number of OTHER applications

Bluray decoder
Control system
Video on demand system

whatever someone else can imagine

This lets developers come up with their own solutions and if they want also employ the XBOX360 games machine, MS wins by getting a licence fee to recoup dev dollars, they win because the machine is available in a number of different configuration and through a number of different sales channels, and they win because higher sales drives the price of key components down.

I don’t think this is an unlikely rumour as they have said it publicly already.

Integration will start being possible probably middle of next year with the "slim" revision. They are moving towards a "system on a chip" design. They'll start to integrate the peripheral silicon into the main chip starting with the GPU - ED ram die and CPU.

The early applications will start with things such as Cable boxes where the Xbox360's power/design may not be significantly more expensive than what the boxes would currently cost as the hardware inside the Xbox360 could probably assume the same functionality with the right software/accessory chips. Also the systems are rented not purchased so the cable companies would possibly recoup the expense thru the video on demand service or increased monthly fees or both. *Note the possible synergy with Xmote and its use AS a remote.*

Next generation after slim - 45nm shrink with maybe a few more chips such as the Northbridge and southbridge intergrated as well. This will reduce power consumption/cooling/size/costs even further. The applications at this point increase greatly as well.

They could include Car entertainment systems for kids - thereby ensuring that the household will have at least one other unit inside the house.

They could integrate it with TV's, especially those that have built in DVD players/Blu ray players. Im sure people will apreciate the gesture. Some people would apreciate - Wireless media linking, Game playback, Video recording/Optical media playback all in the one device.

One other thing, I wonder if the reason why the Xbox360 controlers didn't come with cables is because of a future vision as the above I have written where cable charging would be problematic.

Tease.

I do not see the benefit of doing this for the consumer, or for Microsoft.

Before the demise of hd-dvd Toshiba was rumoured to be developing a licensed xbox 360 with built-in hd-dvd drive. This speculation also mentioned 3rd-party add-on hardware support. http://www.n4g.com/industrynews/newscom-75770.aspx