By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - bad decisions companies made that affected our gaming habbits

I would say Sega's decision to make the Sega CD, 32X, and gamegear effected ur gaming ahbits. Sega's decisions with the Saturn, such as their decision to not forsee 3D gaming/not stick to their guns on 2D machine and their decision to do a surprise launch when the console was too expansive and had no games and not stocked by many retailers was a bad move. Also not having a Sonic games for launch was pretty stupid. Imagine if a full game version of Sonic's 3D part of Sonic Jam was somehow a launch game for the Saturn when it came out in fall 1995 for $300... if that had been the case Saturn could have done alot better, and Sega would still be a console maker.
I also think Nintendo's cracking down on importing Wii games has effected many European gaming habits.

Around the Network
ils411 said:
disolitude said:

We all gather to here and discuss the sales % lost due to RROD or high system price cost at launch but none of these issues really affect our gaming habbits?

I thought I'd make a thread where we could share some mistakes that companies made that affected us and our gaming.

I'll start with 2 blunders Sony made that affected my gaming personally.

1. Sony suing company behind Bleemcast -

a small company made an emulator that would let you play PS1 games on the dreamcast and would make the games look much much better. The resolution was increased and textures were sharper. I was looking forward to this a lot as PS2 was coming out at a rediculous price and no games worth playing but PS1 was still going strong. Unfortunately Sony sued the company and delayed the release of bleemcast until very late i the Dreamcasts lifecycle when the system was already dead.

I got to play Metal Gear Solid on the dreamcast using the special bleemcast disk that came out before Sony shut them down and let me tell you...the game looks 3X better. To this day, even the PS3 doesn't emulate ps1 games this good and there is a lot of PS1 classics I would have loved to play with better resolution and better visuals.

Here is some info on this product for those that may no know this. http://www.gamesfirst.com/articles/bleemcastFAQ/bleemcastFAQ.asp

2. Sony suing Lik-Sang website -

Lik-Sang was the coolest store where I would go and get my 3rd party controllers, import games, custom modifications and mod chips. However due to some stupid Europe PSP selling issue, store was sued by Sony. And while they did not win the lawsuit, the store ran out of money due to legal fees and had to shut down. I've been using Play-asia since but its not nearly as cool as Link-Sang was.

More info can be found on their site... http://www.lik-sang.com/

How about you? Any videogame company decisions that caused you to lose out on something?

what a bunch of crap.

1. sony had every right to sue the company behind bleemcast. ps games were developed for use on *GASP* a PLAYSTATION and not a dreamcast. as the playstation was still being manufactured, sold, and supported by sony and their third party partners and they were still making money on it, emulation of the playstaion on a different system is an infrigment on copyright laws and is illegal and is a crime.  comes to show what morals you have sir.

2. again, i see how you like to support piracy. serves lik-sang right to get sued by sony. custom modifications and mod chips leads to region free ps2s. and these mod cheaps also have the ability to play backup games. this leads to backup copies of games which are ditributed on the web which leads to piracy. and piracy is a crime. sony had every right to protect its business and investments.

Someone needs to get the f*** off of their soapbox... 

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

Sega affected my gaming habits by making too many bad calls and getting pushed out of the console race, I miss them........ :(

And Nintendo affected my habits by creating the Wii.......not a big fan. I really don't like what they're doing right now. Just my opinion obviously.

ils411 said:
disolitude said:

We all gather to here and discuss the sales % lost due to RROD or high system price cost at launch but none of these issues really affect our gaming habbits?

I thought I'd make a thread where we could share some mistakes that companies made that affected us and our gaming.

a small company made an emulator that would let you play PS1 games on the dreamcast and would make the games look much much better. The resolution was increased and textures were sharper. I was looking forward to this a lot as PS2 was coming out at a rediculous price and no games worth playing but PS1 was still going strong. Unfortunately Sony sued the company and delayed the release of bleemcast until very late i the Dreamcasts lifecycle when the system was already dead.

I got to play Metal Gear Solid on the dreamcast using the special bleemcast disk that came out before Sony shut them down and let me tell you...the game looks 3X better. To this day, even the PS3 doesn't emulate ps1 games this good and there is a lot of PS1 classics I would have loved to play with better resolution and better visuals.

Here is some info on this product for those that may no know this. http://www.gamesfirst.com/articles/bleemcastFAQ/bleemcastFAQ.asp

Lik-Sang was the coolest store where I would go and get my 3rd party controllers, import games, custom modifications and mod chips. However due to some stupid Europe PSP selling issue, store was sued by Sony. And while they did not win the lawsuit, the store ran out of money due to legal fees and had to shut down. I've been using Play-asia since but its not nearly as cool as Link-Sang was.

How about you? Any videogame company decisions that caused you to lose out on something?

what a bunch of crap.

1. sony had every right to sue the company behind bleemcast. ps games were developed for use on *GASP* a PLAYSTATION and not a dreamcast. as the playstation was still being manufactured, sold, and supported by sony and their third party partners and they were still making money on it, emulation of the playstaion on a different system is an infrigment on copyright laws and is illegal and is a crime. comes to show what morals you have sir.

2. again, i see how you like to support piracy. serves lik-sang right to get sued by sony. custom modifications and mod chips leads to region free ps2s. and these mod cheaps also have the ability to play backup games. this leads to backup copies of games which are ditributed on the web which leads to piracy. and piracy is a crime. sony had every right to protect its business and investments.

Well smart guy, if you look up both cases, sony did not win either of them. The companies just ran out of money due to legal fees...

So your words have no weight what so ever.

SpartanFX said:
why is this in sony section ?

it should be some place else where I can say what other companies ruined my gaming habit,,,,or is this just another PS3/Sony bashing?

Do you honestly expected them to allow PS1 games to be played on Sega console?you are kidding right?

1. You still had to buy the original game

2. There is plenty of emultaors ont he PC and no one is doing anything about it

3. The court did not find Sony right in this case. I do not know law exactly about this issue but I beliveve there isn't a law that prohibits you from emulating software on to any machine as long as you odn't use any of the copywriten code from the software.

Sorry for posting this in the sony section my bad.

Around the Network

Lik Sang had already stopped supporting piracy at that point.
They were sued for selling PSP`s before they were available from Sony in Europe, Sony pulled the same shit with PS3 so more legit companies like PlayAsia didnt ship PS3 systems and games to Europe out of fear of getting sued and just a few weeks ago Sony put an end to videogame rentals over here by sueing the hell out of retail.

They make region free stuff but SCREW YOU when you are a member of the EU and actually want to make use of it.

disolitude said:
ils411 said:
disolitude said:

what a bunch of crap.

1. sony had every right to sue the company behind bleemcast. ps games were developed for use on *GASP* a PLAYSTATION and not a dreamcast. as the playstation was still being manufactured, sold, and supported by sony and their third party partners and they were still making money on it, emulation of the playstaion on a different system is an infrigment on copyright laws and is illegal and is a crime. comes to show what morals you have sir.

Well smart guy, if you look up both cases, sony did not win either of them. The companies just ran out of money due to legal fees...

So your words have no weight what so ever.

Oh so its survival of the richest then?

How would you feel when someone sues your pants of to the point where you lose everything you have simply because you can no longer afford the legal costs.

All the while KNOWING that you are on the moral high ground.

Fishie said:
Lik Sang had already stopped supporting piracy at that point.
They were sued for selling PSP`s before they were available from Sony in Europe, Sony pulled the same shit with PS3 so more legit companies like PlayAsia didnt ship PS3 systems and games to Europe out of fear of getting sued and just a few weeks ago Sony put an end to videogame rentals over here by sueing the hell out of retail.

They make region free stuff but SCREW YOU when you are a member of the EU and actually want to make use of it.

Serious?

Whoops, sorry dissolitude.
My bad, didnt realise you were pointing that out rather then using it as an argument.

Man, I shouldnt post drunk at 5am.

Fishie said:
Whoops, sorry dissolitude.
My bad, didnt realise you were pointing that out rather then using it as an argument.

Man, I shouldnt post drunk at 5am.

hehe...I was gonna say..."what the?"