By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft gives in to pleas from Yahoo Shareholders and restarts talks

Microsoft, Yahoo buyout talks back on: report

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) is back in talks to buy out Yahoo Inc (YHOO.O), technology blog http://www.techcrunch.com/">TechCrunch reported on Tuesday, citing multiple unnamed sources at both companies.

Both Microsoft and http://www.yahoo.com/">Yahoo declined comment.

"The information we have is thin, but what one source is saying that Microsoft is talking a price lower than the $33 they were offering when the talks disintegrated in May," the report said.

Yahoo shares rose 5.73 percent to $22.68 on the Nasdaq in afternoon trading.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

they didnt get bored trying to buy yahoo???

How sad.This situation I mean.

eliasg said:

Yahoo has something Microsoft is unable to do: success in the online ad arena.  Microsoft was hoping that buying Yahoo would help them compete against Google, a competitor that's simply smarter than Microsoft (despite Microsoft continually insulting Google openly).

The problem is that MS can't innovate on their own.

TheBigFatJ said:
eliasg said:

Yahoo has something Microsoft is unable to do: success in the online ad arena.  Microsoft was hoping that buying Yahoo would help them compete against Google, a competitor that's simply smarter than Microsoft (despite Microsoft continually insulting Google openly).

I get a feeling by reading this post that you dont like the 360 much...

Around the Network
disolitude said:
TheBigFatJ said:
eliasg said:

Yahoo has something Microsoft is unable to do: success in the online ad arena. Microsoft was hoping that buying Yahoo would help them compete against Google, a competitor that's simply smarter than Microsoft (despite Microsoft continually insulting Google openly).

I get a feeling by reading this post that you dont like the 360 much...

I have a 360. What's innovative about it? Xbox Live sure as hell isn't -- they've taken the concept from PC gaming and dumbed it down, then made it hosted by home consoles rather than dedicated servers to save money (and lower the quality).

I'm looking at Microsoft's history, not a console in particular. Everything they've done has been taken from somewhere. Windows was copied from Xerox. MS wasn't even the first to steal that idea: Apple was. Everything MS adds to its operating systems, and almost everything they do are unoriginal ideas they've taken from other areas. And like Windows, they're generally second-rate copies.

Microsoft top management has made a point of saying that Google is not a legitimate company.  I believe they used the phrase "house of cards".  In a huge fit of irony, they call Google a one-trick pony.  MS always underestimates their competition -- in the past, this worked due to competitor incompetence.

^^LOL, everything any large company has ever done is not innovative. They buy start up companies and claim the innovation. Look at Google. And I love the whole dedicated servers argument. Read Bungie's thoughts on that, they said they could have done it but decided not to.

can they not just give up

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

JaggedSac said:
^^LOL, everything any large company has ever done is not innovative. They buy start up companies and claim the innovation. Look at Google. And I love the whole dedicated servers argument. Read Bungie's thoughts on that, they said they could have done it but decided not to.

who cares about bungie? they're a one-trick pony as far as I'm concerned...

^^Really...Marathon, Oni, Myth? Marathon was the Mac's Doom. Myth was friggen bad ass(and bloody) and Oni was a pretty good third person mix of shooting and hand to hand. Then they made Halo.