By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is a bigger Franchise? God of War or Animal Crossing?

God of War is a bit more popular, but whose to say with the next installments given the popularity of the Wii and the lack of interest in Xbox 360.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
DMeisterJ, remember the good old times when I told you that you actually made progress and became a better poster? I still remember it like it was yesterday. Maybe because it was yesterday.

Anyway, you are screwing up big time here.

ROFL

How am I screwing up?

Every single one of those posts was taken out of context, and two of the posts he picked weren't even talking about actual reviews of MGS4.

But like I said, I'm done.

Edit - I've stated on numerous occasions that GTA IV was definitely reviewed too high, and Halo 3.  Two games that I play to this day.  So there goes that theory.

leo-j said:
This is stupid, just because the HAND HELD GAME sold 9 million copies DOESNT MEAN ITS A BIGGER GAME.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=81

Its not A BIGGER GAME, its not A BETTER GAME.

God of war is AAA and will move consoles, ANIMAL CROSSING DOES NOT MOVE CONSOLES.

It didnt move DS hardware, or GC hardware.

God Of War moves consoles? Yah right.

God Of War came very late in the PS2's life so we can't really accredit its sales to pushing PS2 hardware. So I would say the only time we can accredit God Of War of pushing any hardware would be to compare its PSP sales to the Nintendo DS sales. A clumsy 750,000 copies on PSP versus 9-million Animal Crossing on the Nintendo DS.

There you have it, two handheld games and Animal Crossing kicked God Of Wars butt 9 times over. If God of War had nine lives Animal Crossing would have killed it by now. Considering the games GameCube version sold over 2-million copies and God Of War on PS2 merly sold 3-million on a console with a user base about 4-times larger then the GameCube. As a franchise God Of War has had its butt handed to it.

Animal Crossing definatly pushes hardware. I mean I know people who bought DS's for Animal Crossing it managed to boost the DS's sales in Japan and abroad when it launched. The trading card game was insanly popular I could never get boosters because everyone was always sold out.

In Japan their are Animal Crossing toy's merchandize infact even here I recently saw one of those toy vending machines selling Animal Crossing keychains here in North America. The franchise is an actual franchise I don't see Kraitos vending machines I don't see God Of War helping push PSP hardware and I don't see or hear about a God Of War trading card game.

Animal Crossing is a massive hardware pusher or at least multi-million software shipper. I'd say if Nintendo can innovate the Wii one good enough we've got our selves a possible Pokemon killer. Their is no bigger franchise then Pokemon currently in the games industry never has a Pokemon game sold less then a million copies. At the current rate no Animal Crossing game has sold under a million copies either

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

The Ghost of RubangB said:
I'd just like to thank kingofwale and Soriku for starting this awesome thread.

Here are some trends we can look at:

Animal Crossing on N64: 0.26 million
Animal Crossing on GC: 2.98 million
Animal Crossing on DS: 9.47 million

God of War on PS2: 3.20 million
God of War 2 on PS2: 2.11 million
God of War on PSP: 0.75 million

As you can clearly see from these numbers, one franchise is growing exponentially, and one is shrinking very quickly.

Ugh, the psp game sales isn't really fair... that is considered like 5 million in sales for the psp.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
The Ghost of RubangB said:
I'd just like to thank kingofwale and Soriku for starting this awesome thread.

Here are some trends we can look at:

Animal Crossing on N64: 0.26 million
Animal Crossing on GC: 2.98 million
Animal Crossing on DS: 9.47 million

God of War on PS2: 3.20 million
God of War 2 on PS2: 2.11 million
God of War on PSP: 0.75 million

As you can clearly see from these numbers, one franchise is growing exponentially, and one is shrinking very quickly.

Ugh, the psp game sales isn't really fair... that is considered like 5 million in sales for the psp.

This is another of my pet peeves -- one hand washing the other. Again, not that you're actually at fault here, Strategy. Using the PSP as an example:

PSP hardware sales: it doesn't sell because it doesn't have enough games!
PSP software sales: it doesn't sell because there isn't enough hardware!

No game or system can ever be blamed for low sales using this patented method!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

I was just saying, it's a miracle if a game sells 100k on that piracy machine.
(and greatest handheld created on the face of the earth ever by man)

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:

Yeah, I'm really not blaming you or accusing you of anything. I'm just pointing out that I see these two arguments used in tandem all the time, and it effectively resolves any system or game of any blame if it sells poorly.

Your point is well taken.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Well... the hardware most definetly does sell... the software, on the other hand does not.
so this:

PSP hardware sales: it doesn't sell because it doesn't have enough games!
PSP software sales: it doesn't sell because there isn't enough hardware!

wouldn't work.

Either way, each God of War game has sold fewer copies than the one before it. If putting it on a PSP which doesn't sell software is part of the reason, that isn't my fault, and the numbers still stand. Understanding reasons for things doesn't justify them or make them any less true.

If Sony made a mistake in putting the next God of War game on the PSP, then that's Sony making a mistake.

If Nintendo made a genius masterstroke in putting the next Animal Crossing on the DS, then that's just Nintendo making a genius masterstroke.

Bodhesatva said:
Strategyking92 said:

Yeah, I'm really not blaming you or accusing you of anything. I'm just pointing out that I see these two arguments used in tandem all the time, and it effectively resolves any system or game of any blame if it sells poorly.

Your point is well taken.

absolves?