By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Radeon 4870 beats the GTX260 by 6% With AA/AF/Only 10% behind GTX280!!

IllegalPaladin said:
Soleron said:
Rainbird said:
I'm just looking through the test results, and I am astounded.
I mean, I was impressed with 4850, but ATI is now officially take the fucking cake!
The 4870 is priced at 229$ if I remember correct?

Jesus christ, these results are... mindblowing!

$299, but point stands, yes.

Now think about who will have the best performance for $600+ ... and it's not going to be the GTX280.

Are there any radeon manufacturers that offer lifetime warranties like BFG, XFX, or EVGA for Nvidia cards?

Hehe, having second thoughts are we? ;P

Not any that I know of, but I've always been an nVidia man. Looks like that's about to change

Around the Network
IllegalPaladin said:
Soleron said:
Rainbird said:
I mean, I was impressed with 4850, but ATI is now officially take the fucking cake!

Now think about who will have the best performance for $600+ ... and it's not going to be the GTX280.

Are there any radeon manufacturers that offer lifetime warranties like BFG, XFX, or EVGA for Nvidia cards?

Lifetime warranties on video cards is pointless Asus has a 3 year warranty. If it breaks down after 3 years other much better graphic cards will be available at a cheaper price.

Rainbird said:
IllegalPaladin said:
Soleron said:
Rainbird said:

Hehe, having second thoughts are we? ;P

Not any that I know of, but I've always been an nVidia man. Looks like that's about to change

I'm still waiting to see what happens in price, but if they offer a good performance for the price and they have a good warranty, I'll consider it. However, I do want to see what'll happen to the price of Nvidia cards before I do anything.

ATI really seems to be taking notice of the fact that not everyone can sell their children for more fps. Great to see some excellent performance out of the 4850 and 4870.

Yes

Well shit, it has twice the stream processors, what do you expect?

Also, Nvidia will almost definitly lower their prices.

Around the Network
IllegalPaladin said:
Soleron said:
Rainbird said:

Yea, the one I bought:

http://www.visiontek.com/products/cards/retail/4850_512_PCIe.html

http://www.visiontek.com/teksupport/warranty/warranty.html

Username2324 said:

Well shit, it has twice the stream processors, what do you expect?

Also, Nvidia will almost definitly lower their prices.

With the prices ATI is pushing here, they most certainly have to do something if they want to stay competetive this generation of GPU's. Whether it's a pricecut or a new card soon (sort of like the 8800 GT renewed the old 88-series, they could do it here, albeit it needs to be out much sooner compared to the 88-series)

Soleron said:
Rainbird said:

ya nVidia's G100 series (not the 2xx or 3xx cards). I know what nVidia is doing with the design, it will kill AMD.

And yes I do have contacts with AMD/Intel/nVidia. I'm trying to get VGC to be able to review hardware.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
Soleron said:
Rainbird said:

ya nVidia's G100 series (not the 2xx or 3xx cards). I know what nVidia is doing with the design, it will kill AMD.

And yes I do have contacts with AMD/Intel/nVidia. I'm trying to get VGC to be able to review hardware.

But will it be better from a customers viewpoint? I.E. with price and powerconsumption

This is an absolute bonanza for anyone who owns a Dual 16x PCI-E 2 Motherboard, whether its AMD or Intel. If 1 4870 is 10% slower than the GTX280 - How much faster will 2 be?

Also, how can Nvidia sell the GTX260 if the 4870 beats it at a much lower price point? Its a huge chip - a little over twice the size of the RV770 and it has a complicated PCB due to the complexity of its memory interface. So it costs a lot to make, but it gets beat by a much cheaper offering.

Put it this way - How much can Nvidia afford to drop the price on the 260? They've already lopped $50 off for the 4850...

Tease.