By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - RROD is in the past, why won't you buy an Xbox 360?

Even if you did that, they wouldn't necessarily fix the disc drive error along with the RRoD, which most likely requires a new DVD drive.

Of course MS' policy has often been to just swap consoles out rather than fix your specific console, but some receive their same console with the revised GPU clamp and heat sink.

Then there's the issue of downloads you have tied to the console itself if that's an issue. Just swapping out consoles and keeping the same HDD has led to problems for some users, namely losing authentification for XBL store purchases and having service reps insist you have to repurchase your content. User experiences seem to really widely vary.

Unless you know a sure way to swap a broken console for a refurbed one (dodgy), I'd avoid buying broken 360s and just wait for the next hardware revision and price drop.

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
You keep rehashing your same argument by stating the features of XBL which have more in common than not with services like PSN and Steam; both of which serve the same purpose only without the subscription fee. T hey too have "engineers and developers for both that are needed to improve the service through features or maintenance."

MMOs like WoW are based upon a business plan where the razor is all but given away, but the blades are what provide revenues for Blizzard. You're in the minority in perceiving that a paid XBL subscription is comparable with WoW or AoC. It would be a hard sell to anyone with a WoW account that XBL is a similar service at a third of the price.

The closest thing to an MMO online console service would be Home, which is currently still on record as being a free service, albeit subsidized by in-game adverts and in-game item sales. Technically, not even a game, but then neither is texting or voice messaging people on your friend list either.

XBL is a gaming portal with an online store. That's it. You love it; we get it.

Of course they all have engineers and developers for both that are needed to improve the service through features or maintenance.  I already said that in my last post.  Once again thanks or just reiterating what I said.  What are your thoughts on companies spending revenue for a service that is not directly providing profits?

WTF??  I was not referring to the outward functionality of the service.  Of course Live and WoW are two completely different user experiences and that was not, in fact, the point I was making.  Perhaps I am not very clear.  Both charge, not directly for the outward experience(which are not the same experience between the two, of fucking course), but for the money it costs for upkeep.  1 MMO charges 3 times the amount as XBox Live for basically the same upkeep requirements(ie. databases, patches, infrastructure) without a peep from anybody.  Guild Wars was not a pay to play experience and it had the same basic functionality of WoW.  Using that logic, WoW should be free to play.

Using your logic, everyone should be paying for PSN, Nintendo online services and Steam rather than relying upon online game sales because they require the same resources to maintain and upkeep.

Sorry, but not too many people are going to agree with that kind of thinking.