By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I get the PS3 or a 360?

You listed GT5 as a big factor in your purchase. However, if you want one now, you need to ask yourself do you like the current lineup on both systems.

If you are buying a system for price, you may be disappointed. You need to buy a system for the games. If you buy a system for future games, you are gambling. Look at current lineups and make your decision.

Around the Network
Fanatical111 said:

I would go with the 360:

Sports:
- Better games with a higher framerate for all EA 08 games. NHL 08, Madden 08 etc.

RPG:
- 360 has to many RPG's to choose from including both J and W RPG's. In addition, 2009 is looking bright with Star Ocean coming to the 360. PS3 has FF13 but it wont be done for a long while I imagine.

This years RPG's:
-Infinite Undiscovery
-Fable 2
-Last Reminant
-Too Human
-ToV

Platform:
- Banjo will be the best platformer this year IMO.

FPS:
I think this is again 360 territory:
- Gears 1,2
- Halo 3
- Huxley
- Perfect Dark 2
- Left 4 Dead
- Killzone 2 will be good but the first one wasnt all that great. RFOM 1 was ok but again wasnt all that good.

Racining:
- Probably the PS3 for GT5 but I dont buy racers, not my thing

Other:
- PS3 does have MGS4 so I would give it a nod here. The 360 has Ninja Gaiden 2 so it depends on what kind of games you like.  BTW I think Alan Wake will be up there in terms of best games this gen.

Fighting:
- Again based on preference. For me just the thought of Killer Instinct 3 gives the nod to the 360. I hope this comes out!!!!

Biggest factor for me is Live.  I dont care what anyone says, Microsoft pretty much came up with the idea of online integration in consoles and will be the de facto moving forward.  If you like Multiplayer gaming, the 360 is the way to go.

1. Little Big Planet will be the best platformer this year IMO

2. Those shooters are not in the 360 territory

makingmusic476 said:
Platformers and shooters? Ps3 is the better choice for that. Ratchet & Clank series, Uncharted series (hybrid platformer and third person shooter), CoD4, etc. And Jak & Daxter will return eventually.

And then there's the most important one of them all: LittleBigPlanet!

Sports... That doesn't really matter, as they're pretty much the same on both platforms. Are you into racers? Ps3 has GT.

RPGs...definitely the 360 at the moment, what with Fable 2, Tales of Vesperia, etc. coming out. Of course, FFXIII/VersusXIII and White Knight Chronicles are coming to the ps3 eventually, but those probably won't hit outside of Japan until late '09.

@Fanatical: EA said that Madden '09 will be 60fps for both. And I don't see what the big deal is about 30fps for sports games anyway. 60fps only really matters for racers and shooters, and 360 fans were just fine with 30fps for Madden '06 and '07 on the 360.

Also, he's European. He probably won't care about American football.

Platformers is debateable and PS3 definetly doesnt have the best or wealth of shooters that are released right now.  IMO I think the 360 has some proven shooters that are played by millions across XBL.  The PS3 doesnt really have any shooters out now other then RFOM 1 and Haze. 

I dont no how good RFOM 2 or KZ 2 will be at this time but I am hoping for the best.

For sports games 60 FPS makes a huge difference.  Have you played NHL 08 on the 360 and on the PS3.  Its a huge difference to the gameplay.  Go read the reviews at any major site and you will see that most if not all EA games are ranked substancially higher on the 360 for this reason.  I have both consoles and had to trade in Madden 08 for this specific reason.

jerseyboy609 said:
Fanatical111 said:

I would go with the 360:

Sports:
- Better games with a higher framerate for all EA 08 games. NHL 08, Madden 08 etc.

RPG:
- 360 has to many RPG's to choose from including both J and W RPG's. In addition, 2009 is looking bright with Star Ocean coming to the 360. PS3 has FF13 but it wont be done for a long while I imagine.

This years RPG's:
-Infinite Undiscovery
-Fable 2
-Last Reminant
-Too Human
-ToV

Platform:
- Banjo will be the best platformer this year IMO.

FPS:
I think this is again 360 territory:
- Gears 1,2
- Halo 3
- Huxley
- Perfect Dark 2
- Left 4 Dead
- Killzone 2 will be good but the first one wasnt all that great. RFOM 1 was ok but again wasnt all that good.

Racining:
- Probably the PS3 for GT5 but I dont buy racers, not my thing

Other:
- PS3 does have MGS4 so I would give it a nod here. The 360 has Ninja Gaiden 2 so it depends on what kind of games you like.  BTW I think Alan Wake will be up there in terms of best games this gen.

Fighting:
- Again based on preference. For me just the thought of Killer Instinct 3 gives the nod to the 360. I hope this comes out!!!!

Biggest factor for me is Live.  I dont care what anyone says, Microsoft pretty much came up with the idea of online integration in consoles and will be the de facto moving forward.  If you like Multiplayer gaming, the 360 is the way to go.

1. Little Big Planet will be the best platformer this year IMO

2. Those shooters are not in the 360 territory

1. LPB will be based on....Banjo games have come out before and have been recieved very well.  What are you basing this on?

2.  Ummm....Killzone 2 and RFOM 2 are not out yet.  Right now the 360 has the best shooters hands down sir.  When KZ 2 and RFOM 2 come out and if they are good then this may change.  However, I personally doubt either will be better then Gears 2 or Halo 3 but thats my opinion.

Fanatical111 said:
makingmusic476 said:
Platformers and shooters? Ps3 is the better choice for that. Ratchet & Clank series, Uncharted series (hybrid platformer and third person shooter), CoD4, etc. And Jak & Daxter will return eventually.

Sports... That doesn't really matter, as they're pretty much the same on both platforms. Are you into racers? Ps3 has GT.

RPGs...definitely the 360 at the moment, what with Fable 2, Tales of Vesperia, etc. coming out. Of course, FFXIII/VersusXIII and White Knight Chronicles are coming to the ps3 eventually, but those probably won't hit outside of Japan until late '09.

@Fanatical: EA said that Madden '09 will be 60fps for both. And I don't see what the big deal is about 30fps for sports games anyway. 60fps only really matters for racers and shooters, and 360 fans were just fine with 30fps for Madden '06 and '07 on the 360.

Platformers is debateable and PS3 definetly doesnt have the best or wealth of shooters that are released right now.  IMO I think the 360 has some proven shooters that are played by millions across XBL.  The PS3 doesnt really have any shooters out now other then RFOM 1 and Haze. 

I dont no how good RFOM 2 or KZ 2 will be at this time but I am hoping for the best.

For sports games 60 FPS makes a huge difference.  Have you played NHL 08 on the 360 and on the PS3.  Its a huge difference to the gameplay.  Go read the reviews at any major site and you will see that most if not all EA games are ranked substancially higher on the 360 for this reason.  I have both consoles and had to trade in Madden 08 for this specific reason.

And all the 360 has is Halo 3 and Gears, but you skipped Uncharted.

Around the Network
Fanatical111 said:
makingmusic476 said:

I stopped reading there.

Warhawk, UT3, Uncharted all say hi

I also hear you can play MGS4 was a shooter or stealth game too.

If you were considering owning both... I'd buy a PS3 first, and wait for MS to actually make the 360 reliable (and maybe cheaper... who knows) in the future. PS3s are worth the investment... but I think you might be disappointed in your 360 now, as opposed to the 360s of the future, which might be supurbly reliable, like the PS3 already is.

The games aren't gonna vanish -- buy a PS3 unless all your friends are demanding you play Halo 3, or somesuch. Score a 360 later, when its a better product, and cheaper.

Cross-platform games are gonna be darn near the same on both platforms, from here on out, if the current trend continues.  Look at the past titles, and exclusives, to make your decisions.  Do you prefer GT5 to Forza?  Do you prefer Banjo to Ratchet & Clank?  FF 13 to Lost Odyssey?  etc.   God of War 3 & Uncharted to... whatever the 360 has for decent exclusive action?  Madden, etc... they'll all be the same from here on out, except  possibly Sony's 1st-party sports titles, which, I suppose, might really shine in the coming years, if they can harness the PS3.

PooperScooper said:
Fanatical111 said:
makingmusic476 said:

I stopped reading there.

Warhawk is a shooter?  UT3 is coming to 360 in a month with more maps.  MGS4 is a steath game not a shooter at least IMO.

Fanatical111 said:
PooperScooper said:
Fanatical111 said:
makingmusic476 said:

I stopped reading there.

Warhawk is a shooter?  UT3 is coming to 360 in a month with more maps.  MGS4 is a steath game not a shooter at least IMO.

LOL.  Yes, it's a shooter!  It's an online only TPS similar to BF2.

Fanatical111 said:
PooperScooper said:

I stopped reading there.

What would you classify warhawk as? You get a pistol, knife, Ground Machine Gun, Tank, 4x4, Anti Aircraft Turret, Missile Turret, rifle, flame thrower, gernades, sniper, rocket launcher, mines, and binoculars that paint targets for an airstrike (thats what I assume that is any ways) Thats all ground combat too. I didn't even mention the aircrafts.

UT3 wont have mods on 360. Everyone knows what makes that game are the mods. Mods>>>>>>>>>maps

Mgs4 can be played as a shooter. If you want to play it as a stealth game you can but people who like shooters can also play theirstyle in MGS4. 

You also didn't respond about Uncharted.