By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should I get the PS3 or a 360?

Yeah, WTH bigjon? What have u been doing on these forums? +1000 posts and you ask such a general lame question.

Around the Network

I cant be arsed to give reasons (for what must be the 10th time this month) but i say-

buy a ps3

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

NJ5 said:
Seems like you want PS3 games, but unreleased ones. If you're not interested in the current games, you might as well wait to buy it (maybe at a cheaper price).

Yea most of the PS3 games I REALLY want are not out yet, however, my Wii makes me very happy except for a few things. I really want COD4, I also will buy GTA4. Those are the only 2 games I want for the time being. I will get madden 09(possibly for Wii... if EA gives me a reason to)

After thinking about it I am really leaning to the PS3. The MGS bundle is enticing. The walmart near where I am right now sold their last one this morning, but 499 for an 80gb and basically a free MGS is a good deal. If they would not have been out I would have bought one about 45 minutes ago.

But the 360 does have a buttload of JRPGs coming and the 2 games I mentioned earlier.

I am having trouble with this because it seems even though the 360 is cheaper the PS3 has more value, and I cannot get out of the back of my mind how MS bailed on the Xbox after 4 years... I do not want to buy a console and it be dated in 18 months. But the 360 is selling better, so they may give it 5 years. But I know if I get a PS3 I will have at least 4 years before I am forced to upgrade.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

PS3, I dont need to explain

I would go with the 360:

Sports:
- Better games with a higher framerate for all EA 08 games. NHL 08, Madden 08 etc.

RPG:
- 360 has to many RPG's to choose from including both J and W RPG's. In addition, 2009 is looking bright with Star Ocean coming to the 360. PS3 has FF13 but it wont be done for a long while I imagine.

This years RPG's:
-Infinite Undiscovery
-Fable 2
-Last Reminant
-Too Human
-ToV

Platform:
- Banjo will be the best platformer this year IMO.

FPS:
I think this is again 360 territory:
- Gears 1,2
- Halo 3
- Huxley
- Perfect Dark 2
- Left 4 Dead
- Killzone 2 will be good but the first one wasnt all that great. RFOM 1 was ok but again wasnt all that good.

Racining:
- Probably the PS3 for GT5 but I dont buy racers, not my thing

Other:
- PS3 does have MGS4 so I would give it a nod here. The 360 has Ninja Gaiden 2 so it depends on what kind of games you like.  BTW I think Alan Wake will be up there in terms of best games this gen.

Fighting:
- Again based on preference. For me just the thought of Killer Instinct 3 gives the nod to the 360. I hope this comes out!!!!

Biggest factor for me is Live.  I dont care what anyone says, Microsoft pretty much came up with the idea of online integration in consoles and will be the de facto moving forward.  If you like Multiplayer gaming, the 360 is the way to go.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Yeah, WTH bigjon? What have u been doing on these forums? +1000 posts and you ask such a general lame question.

I generally spend most of my time concerned with sales. I am an avid Nintendo fan so when I do focus on gaming it is Wii and DS. However, I know I am missing out on some good games in the HD realm so I am thinking about expanding. Btw- I have owned non-nintendo console in the Past... (PS, PS2)

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Words Of Wisdom said:

You've been on these forums long enough to have 1,000+ posts.

If you don't already know more than enough about both consoles to make an informed decision then nothing we say can possibly help you.

I can't help but wonder if this is flamebait for a console fight...

Anywho, make a list of the games you want for each console.  Go with the one that has more.

Some people are just indecisive.  I made a thread a while back to help me decide between the DS and PSP, despite knowing a ton about both.  I just couldn't make up my mind.

Never buy consoles for the promise of future games. If the console isn't worth it to you with its current game lineup, then either wait to buy it or don't at all. It'll save you time, money, and frustration in the long run.

That said, the 360 has a much better lineup at the moment, especially if you don't own or maintain a gaming PC. If you're going to buy one, buy a 360. If neither are worth it to you, then just wait.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

by the looks of it get a ps3 but wait till prices come down.

End of 2008 Sales:

Wii- 39 Million 360- 25Million PS3- 22 Million

PSN: papasmurf5721

Platformers and shooters? Ps3 is the better choice for that. Ratchet & Clank series, Uncharted series (hybrid platformer and third person shooter), CoD4, etc. And Jak & Daxter will return eventually.

And then there's the most important one of them all: LittleBigPlanet!

Sports... That doesn't really matter, as they're pretty much the same on both platforms. Are you into racers? Ps3 has GT.

RPGs...definitely the 360 at the moment, what with Fable 2, Tales of Vesperia, etc. coming out. Of course, FFXIII/VersusXIII and White Knight Chronicles are coming to the ps3 eventually, but those probably won't hit outside of Japan until late '09.

@Fanatical: EA said that Madden '09 will be 60fps for both. And I don't see what the big deal is about 30fps for sports games anyway. 60fps only really matters for racers and shooters, and 360 fans were just fine with 30fps for Madden '06 and '07 on the 360.